SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fotisr

Is this normal behaviour?

fotisr
12 years ago

Hello, I noticed a weird behaviour on my Picea abies 'Inversa'. The first image is from the end of July. New growth was already hardened way back. Next image is from past weekend, two months later. Please take a look at the branches of my 'Inversa' and especially the upper-left branch. I'm wondering if such movement is normal. Nevertheless I enjoy this new look very much! As Will said, a monster in the making!

I've seen my cedars showing intense movement in their branches from month to month but picea doing this?

Also, noticed that in my 'Ogon' as well but there were other reasons for that. Early August I lost the top 4 inches of my leader due to strong winds. There were 3 buds at the cut point and I thought, one or more of these will make a new leader. But none of them did so! Instead, the upper branch (orange arrow) started bending upwards and although it was at 90 d. angle from the main trunk, now it is at almost parallel to the trunk! You can see in images 2 and 3. In image 3 I've already cut the old leader remains (used them as a cutting) and the wire I used doesn't put a force on the branch at all. Just safety for winds. The branch was never stucked and after a month turned almost 90 degrees by itself to form the new leader.

So I'am asking. Is this (both cases) normal? Sure is amazing!

Fotis

Comments (7)