SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

Fang the Feral Kitten!

KaraLynn
14 years ago

On saturday morning I was going about my business feeding the cats like usual but when I went on the front porch to get my outdoor cats dish I came across a surprise. Besides my cat there where two more cats sitting there waiting for me. One was an adult black male that is fairly friendly and is also a frequent visitor. It was the tiny black and white kitten curled up in the corner that was the surprise. It looked so small and pitiful cowering up against the screen that I just wanted to go over there and cuddle it. I didn't though, instead I feed the other two and then got a small dish of wet food to try and lure the kitten to me. That didn't work, as soon as I got nearby the kitten started climbing the screen to get away! At least that made catching it easy and I was able to quickly relocate it to the back porch, along with some food, water, and a spare litter box.

Later that same morning I went to the local pet store with my mom to get some things for her new puppy, which is adorable by the way. I was in luck! There just happened to be a rescue group there that was able to give plenty of advise on how to take care of the kitten and aggreed to help me try to find a home for it. The deal is that I will foster the kitten and get it socialized and they will help me get it's shots and nuetered once it's old enough. They'll let me know when they have adoption days so that I can bring it to them.

Well, I got home and got out the dawn dish soap that the two ladies with the recue group said would be best to wash the kitten with. Now I just had to catch the kitten and take it over a friends house to get her to help me wash it. Easier said then done! Now that it'd eaten something it was feeling much more energised and wanted nothing to do with me. It took at least 5 minutes wandering around the back porch, rearranging the bags of soil, various projects in progress while trying to catch the fast little furball! When I'm finally able to grab it it bites my finger with it's very sharp white fangs! Now I'm getting frustrated with the kitten so even though my finger is dripping blood I'm not about to let go so it's soon locked in the cat carrier. I then go clean the finger with peroxide and put some antibiotic cream and a bandage on it. Then I grab some heavy duty gardening gloves, the dawn, and the cat carrier and head over to my friends house.

Once I get there and have shown her the kitten I then have to prevent her from just reaching in for the little creature. Oops, I may have forgotten to tell her on the phone that the kitten I needed help with was feral. Since I also neglected to bring a tub to wash the kitten in we ended up washing it in the pool (it has a salt filter instead of chlorine). Lets just say the kitten was not happy about it's bath judging by all of the hissing and glaring! I got bitten again (though the gloves!) and we had to pry it's jaws off my friends heavier duty leather gloves at least once. But finally it's clean and flea free and has had it's ears cleaned out. We also discovered that it's a little boy and since he has such a healthy set of teeth that he's not at all afraid to use we named him Fang, the name Jaws was a close second! LOL

Now he's back on my back porch, over the shock of the bath, and will now at least watch me through the back door window without running and hiding. And he's such a little cutie with bright gold eyes. Anyone want a kitten? I'm sure with a little persistance and a lot of food he'd be easy to win over! ;)

Comments (10)