SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ggschmerl

tring to save feral kitten (long)

ggschmerl
15 years ago

Back to the beginning:

Early this spring, someone dumped off some kittens on my front porch when I was at work. I come home everyday at lunch. I assume wheoever did this, knows I'm an animal lover. When I saw them, of course I gathered them up. There were two hiding behind my broom. Approx. 6-8 weeks old if I had to guess.

My neighbor was coming home at the same time I found them and I was telling her what I'd found and how I couldn't just leave them there to freeze or run off and get hit. She decided to take them. She wanted a new kitten anyway and her daughter wanted one too. Pefect. Both of us wondered if there had been more that might have wondered off. 2 in a litter was pretty small. We looked around in the woods across from my house and didn't see any more.

Last week, I heard a frantic meowing from the woods directly across from my house. A cat was trying to get my attention but was afraid to come out. He looks just like he would be from the same litter as what got dropped off at my door several months before. He was starving. He wanted me to feed him. Since then, I have been providing him food and water twice a day in the small clearing across the street from my house. He is small and alone, and I know he will not make it through the winter I don't think. He waits every morning for me to bring him breakfast, bless his heart, but will not come up to me. He wants to, but he's very afraid. The closest he will come is about 10 feet from me.

My concern is that winter is coming and I don't want him/her to freeze and starve to death.

I have three small dogs and two cats of my own as it is. I'd happily take this stray in, but I don't think he will come to me. I was thinking about tring to slowly move his daily food closer to my house and maybe once the bad weather comes, leave my garage door up just a bit for him to get under and have a warm bed and food out there for him. I don't know what else to do. Winter will be here before too much longer and already I'm worried about him freezing to death and starving. (we can have bad winters in Michigan. Lots of snow pedicted this year with below average temps)

Any suggestions at all? Some people probably think I'm crazy, but I love animals and try to help all of those that I can.

If I could catch him, I'd take him to the vet and try to keep it, hoping my other cats would come around and accept him/her, and my dogs.

Thanks,

Mindy

Comments (16)