SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Is my kitten getting too much solitude?

alisande
12 years ago

In the past, whenever we acquired a new kitten we'd make sure we got another so they'd have a playmate. But I'm not in a position to do that anymore. Here's the situation:

As I posted earlier, a stray cat gave birth to three kittens in my ice house. I had the mother spayed, and found good homes for the calico and black kittens. The one I expected to be adopted first, an orange female, was not taken, and I decided to keep her. Peachy was the smallest of the three, and the bravest. She is frisky, funny, and fast!

I have two adult indoor cats. Pogo is four years old, and Annie (age unknown) is his mother. Pogo, almost all black, was a feral kitten. He is quite devoted to me, and is wonderfully laid back and affectionate in my presence. But he has retained some of his feral nervousness about new people and situations, as feral kittens often do.

Annie is a dark calico. When I removed her and her kittens from my neighbor's barn she was very friendly and sweet. I don't know whether she changed radically after the kittens were weaned, or if she suffered some brain damage from a liver problem she had around the same time, but she definitely doesn't act like she used to. She loves some people (especially strangers), but hates cats--including her son. The presence of the stray cat (a highly protective mother) on our porch has got her on edge all the time, and if they ever met for real I hate to think what the outcome would be.

My old procedure was to keep a kitten in my bedroom for two weeks, then gradually introduce him/her to the resident cats. But I never had a resident cat quite like Annie. I think it might be best to postpone introductions until the kitten is larger. Right now she's tiny at 9 or 10 weeks old.

So Peachy is upstairs zipping around my bedroom during the day. I go up to check on her and play with her several times, and lie down with her for at least a half hour. But it still seems like a lot of solitude for a young animal, especially since I'm out of the house three times a week for physical therapy. Should I be concerned? At night I have her in a dog carrier so I can sleep. It's outfitted with food, water, and a litter pan, and she doesn't complain about it, so I'm hoping that's okay, too.

Here's Peachy in motion:

and (momentarily) at rest:

Thanks for your advice!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz