SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
segan03

My kitten/cat don't get along

segan03
17 years ago

My fiance and I got a male kitten about 2 years ago now and he had been the ruler of the house. About 6 months ago we decided to get another kitten since we are very busy. We thought he'd like having some company. We adopted a feral female kitten from a shelter. We were warned that she might take some time warming up to us and the other cat but should adjust after a while. We also checked with them about Simba (the 2 year old) adjusting to the new cat. We were assured that it should be fine and to just give them time. Neither my fiance or I were too worried because many of our family members had adopted kittens after their orignal cat was about 2-3 years old. Well when we brought Jinx home all hell broke loose. We kept her in a seperate room with her food and litter box like we were instructed to do and I tried to go in and visit with her as much as possible. She barely warmed up to me after a few weeks but seemed to want out of that room pretty badly. We let her out but she seemed to just want to stay under the bed all the time. Simba would attack her if she came out, eat her food, and use her litter box. He was being extremely territorial. It's 6 months later and nothing has changed. She's warmed up to me some and is very sweet and cuddly when Simba isn't around but if she even hears him she freaks out and runs under the couch. She stays in this back room and won't come out. I visit with her as much as possible and when its just us she will play with me and rub on me. Also, she has stopped using her litter box to urinate. She's used one of our couches, a papasan cushion and the bedspread in the room where she stays. I think a lot of it has to do with Simba marking his territory in her litter box and being scared all the time but we don't know what to do. We are thinking about bringing her back to the shelter in hopes that someone who just wants one kitten will take her and she'll be happier but I wanted to see if there were any last tricks we could try for the 2 of them. I feel like we've tried everything. They have seperate food bowls, seperate litter boxes, and seemingly seperate parts of the house. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)