SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crenda53

Echies and I just don't get along!

Crenda 10A SW FL
7 years ago

Charlie asked me today if Echeverias are annuals - since mine only last a year. (What a sweet man!) I thought I had figured out my problems - soil, water, drainage. But I guess not. My E. shaviana is not long for this world, I'm afraid.

Here's when I brought it home.

It is even blooming!

I used a potting mix of turface, granite grit and perlite.

I was on mealybug patrol today, and I noticed a LOT of leaves had fallen off of this plant. And I did find a couple of mealies - so there are undoubtedly more hiding in the leaves. The leaves were falling off with just a hard stare! So I unpotted it.

That brown stuff by the pups is leaf debris from dead leaves. But that dark spot at the top is a little soft. Not mushy, but softer than the rest of the stem. You can see that the smaller roots are coming off.

That rot - I assume that is what it is - is all the way up to the leaves and there is very little room to trim it away. So I've potted it up in a 4-inch clay pot with dry gritty mix and will let it finish flowering.

I am shocked at how quickly it went from beautiful to pitiful. But there were problems going on that I didn't notice. And this is why we often cannot help others. By the time the problem is noticed, it is often too late to save the plant.

In retrospect, I think I should have gone with a wider shallow pot.
The white pot has 8 drainage holes, but I think the plastic holds heat and
moisture in. And the width of the plant may have acted as a lid, preventing adequate evaporation.

The potting mix was wet when I unpotted it. Although we have had a rainy month, I brought this one under roof so it didn't get excess water on the crown. We haven't had rain for several days and it has been sitting out in the sun.

I do have 3 pups from this plant and they seem to be doing well. We'll see if I can prevent them from becoming annuals!

Comments (26)