SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janeyplatt

my older kitten and my new kitten help please!!!!!

janeyplatt
15 years ago

HI

I have a kitten who has just turned 12 months old, he is a very energetic kitten and also very loving. i live in a flat, he is mainly a house cat but i let him have a little wander now and again. when he plays he is quite rough, he bites (not hard just little nips) and uses his claws, we also play pounce but when i have had enough he goes for a chill or comes for a cuddle. his name is padfoot and everyone always says how cool he is....

anyway, my friend rang the other day and she said a family she knows has got some kittens and do i want one, i was unsure because i didnt want another kitten to join the family and ruin padfoots personality (because he is so loving),anyway, i arrived at the house and it stank, they had dogs kittens cats, guinea pigs hamsters etc, there was food and poo on the floor, there were 3 kittens in total, 1 had a home and 2 where left. one of the ones left was crazy and jumping about and scratchin everyone, the other was cuddly and contented sleeping. i felt so sorry for them, i had to take one, i would of took both of the ones left if i lived in a bigger place and my cat was a 'go outer'.(i did ring the rspca tho and aksed them to check it out, the family was nice enough but i believe if u have a pet u should be responsible... they hadnt got the mother cat spayed and she was pregnant again :-( ) ... anyway (sorry i always ramble) i brought the little one home, i was expecting hisses and attacks, but i didnt get that...padfoot followed the little one around for a bit, licked him and then started to play. i did some reading on the internet about keeping the new kitten in a seperate room till they adjust, this is working well... padfoot and the little un claw each other under the door and padfoot cries to be with him and visa versa... they are so cute together, they havnt slept next to each other as of yet, but sleep in the same room (with my supervision) on a night the little one sleeps in the other room with his food litter tray and toys... padfoot sleeps on the other side of the door for a bit then comes and gets on my bed (like normal)

my problem is that when padfoot plays, he is fine for a bit but gets too rough and hurts the little one, i know he is only playin but when the little one yelps its distressing to hear, padfoot backs off as soon as i call his name... they chase each other for ages (padfoot stalks him then the little un stalks padfoot) padfoot even lets the little one share his food... i dont however as its adult food.

the reason iam asking this question is, will padfoot calm down soon and stop being so rough? am i doing the right thing shouting his name when they get too rough? and am i doing the right thing full stop?

i havnt found anything on the internet about rough players and all my vet said was 'love padfoot more' so i always give him treats and cuddles.

any help would be really appreciated (even just general tips about introducing a new kitten to the older one).... thanx for reading my message!!

Jane, padfoot and the little un' XX

Comments (5)