SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Help me like conifers

girlndocs
17 years ago

I'm a complete novice to using conifers as garden elements and I'm beginning to recognize that I'll need to beef up my knowledge about them some as I am looking at buying a house within the next 3 years, and I'll be designing my new garden there (wherever "there" ends up being).

I keep getting stuck on "not liking" conifers in the garden. Maybe this is because I grew up in a neighborhood full of native Douglas fir and that is what I think of when I think "conifer" -- something large, sweeping and graceful that a smaller conifer is only a pale and clumsy imitation of.

Then, too, I haven't had a lot of exposure to good landscaping involving conifers, which I understand to be expensive to buy. So I think "conifers in the landscape" and the picture that leaps to mind is cheap and ugly upright stick-looking things in a soldier line, or cheap and ugly flattish prickly things that crawl across the ground in lieu of any variation of texture, height or form.

What I feel like I need to begin appreciating conifers as a garden element is exposure to the kinds you can't get at Home Despot or Slowe's. For my purposes, since I will never afford a yard big enough for large species that aren't already planted there, conifers should be small (6x6' footprint absolute maximum), suited for the mixed border. I have a strong preference for organic form -- hah, what tree isn't organic? But I don't tend to like plants that look like topiary even if they're not. Graceful and easily integrated is the ticket. Especially attractive to birds, whether as shelter or seed, is a plus. I'm in the Pacific Northwest maritime zone 8.

Please, would you tell me about your favorite garden conifer? What makes it special? How do you use it? Where does it like to be and what kind of soil does it like? Do you have any pictures? Can you recommend any books or websites?

Thanks,

Kristin

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting