SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

New bed for seedlings, where's winter?

laurelin
17 years ago

Happy new year to my garden! My friend Becky gave me another trunk load of lovely partially composted leaves and barn straw for my new seedling bed. I'm going the lasagna bed route, and I can hardly wait to plant into it in the spring. It's not a huge bed (approx. 8 feet per side, a square), but it should be sufficient for this year's seedlings. Next year, I'm not sure which piece of turf will be sacrificed.

Has anyone else taken advantage of the unseasonably warm weather in the East to start new projects off-season? Do you have new beds prepared already, or are you waiting for spring? I just can't believe I spent yesterday hauling compost and edging a new bed with flat river rocks, in the sunshine, wearing a fleece pullover and sneakers instead of a winter coat, gloves, and boots - on January 2 in Upstate NY!

Everything is still GREEN, for goodness' sake.

I've got daffodils and reticulated irises peeking up through the mulch, and green buds on my clematis, and pansies in bloom, and my self-sown nigella seedlings look like a fuzzy bright green shag rug. Amazing. This will feel like a short winter, even if the weather gets more winter-like over the next month. Some years winter starts here in October, but the past two years have been quite mild. My kids aren't happy about it, though - they want SNOW so they can go sledding. I had to point out that going to the playground on a sunny warm New Year's Eve, in a jacket and sneakers, was a rare treat.

Laurel

Comments (5)