SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

perennial seedlings. . . wintering over

maidinmontana
16 years ago

I sowed some (several actually) perennial seeds that have now germinated into seedlings. My intention was to start them early (direct sow) to get a good root system, leave them where they are growing, then come spring plant them where I want them to grow.

The seedlings in question are:

perennial sweet peas

holly hocks

blanket flower

fever few (? perennial here)

lupine

snow in summer

yucca

basket of gold alyssum

california poppies

just to mention a few. I have them in a raised bed made of cinder blocks (2 high) setting between two outbuildings. I was planning on mulching them well, placing screening over them and then come spring placing a window over them. Keeping an eye on them that they don't cook once the temps warm up.

They all have their true leaves, most are at least 2+ inches tall. What, in your opinion, chances of surviving the winiter do they stand? Is there something else I should do to ensure they survive? Is there something I plan on doing that I shouldn't do?

I am hoping for a head start on these by doing them early. Is this considered thier 1st year, meaning next season they should produce flowers for the ones that will or will they have to go thru a full growing season to be considered 1st year perennials?

Thanks to any and all comments and advice.

Comment (1)