SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zandra_gw

Little tubbed trees for fogbelt?

zandra
17 years ago

I'm looking for precisely 3 citrus to grow in large pots. these will be in my greenhouse most of the year and dragged out against the sheltered garage wall from june-september. I have my heart set on something with sweet orange colored fruit (mandarin, orange, etc) The greenhouse is unheated; winters here are mild, however there may not be enough heat to develop fruit in the middle of winter on some varieties, and I don't want that. The rest of the year the greenhouse gets pretty warm inside during the day, about 80 degrees but no higher. I've decided I want a Rangpur lime as one of the three since I had one once as a small standard with no protection and it did very well until a freak freeze got it. I found Rangpur's flavor lends itself very well to homemade candy. The third I'm not sure about. I had a Meyer lemon a few years back that did well outside in the ground with minimal protection until the ants discovered it, no amount of spraying could keep them off it and it quickly succumbed to scale and mildew. I think Meyers are a little boring anyway, they are basically the only citrus people even try to grow around here, usually in half barrels with S. exposures under overhangs, but they do survive. So there's an idea of my conditions, could anybody offer suggestions for a little sweet fruited cold tolerant tree and something else interesting? Thanks.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH