SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentree365

Spruce spacing

greentree365
11 years ago

I am in NJ and just moved to a new house. We want to cover approximately 260 ft of one side of my property primarily as a privacy screen with evergreens. There will be plenty of sunlight on this side, but we do have a lot of deer coming on our property. I do notice quite a few of Norway and Colorado blue spruces around in the neighborhood and have started liking them. I have read a lot of posts on this site and have learned a lot already in 2 days (my level was at zero 2 days back!), but still wanted to post my question and get fresh responses.

The local nursery guy has recommended two rows of spruces purchased 6-7 ft tall; the outer row (facing the street) of Norway spruce ~10 ft apart from each other and the inner row of Colorado blue spruce, again 10 ft apart. I assume that the distance between the two rows is also 10 ft. In all he says we can go with 50 trees (26 NS & 24 CBS) and this way we will have the privacy in a reasonable amount of time, which is what we want.

Does this sound reasonable or they are too close? If we spread them out more, they may grow prettier over time but then we may not get the privacy screen in reasonable time. If we keep them at 10 ft, will they develop as pretty as they should over time? This is my confusion.

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!