SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseberri

when people on this forum tell you something...Listen!

roseberri, z6
9 years ago

Well several years ago I got an Ernest Markham at my local nursery on an impulse. had no real plan, but developed one and put him near the front of the house behind a baby limelight to grow up behind it . Actually this was the right front corner which is a dry spot on the south side of the house. While this is all kind of dubious; and there were warnings about these issues this is not what I am talking about.
I had read not to grow the clematis up a tube of agricultural fencing. Flat is good, tube is trouble, especially when you buried the tube about a foot deep! ( I guess I had figured I would grow Ernest as a type three as many people do, cut him down each year and no problems!)
Well, now comes the problem which I suppose could have happened with a flat trellis but was worse in the round.
After three years of less than stellar performance, I decided to move Ernest to a better spot not so shaded, more water and no root competition. I just dug him up and the root had grown through the wires in such a way that was almost impossible to get apart!! And the vines of course are all woven in and out of the wire tube! So be warned , tubes can be a lot of trouble with clematis!
Makes me wonder what other booby traps I have set for myself!
roseberri

Comments (7)