SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robert_redwood

Driving from San Francisco to Humboldt Redwoods

Robert_Redwood
13 years ago

Some day soon (hopefully later this year), I am hoping to make the pilgrimage to Humboldt County and as there are several people on here familiar with the area, I wondered if I could ask some advice?

I am aiming to drive up from San Francisco so for a redwood lover, which would be the best route between SF and Leggett? Highway 101 would be the convential route I expect but I am looking at highway 1 along the Pacific coast, turning off 101 just after Marin City and rejoining at Leggett in Mendocino. I have several 1980's copies of the 'Redwood Empire Visitors Guide' and it says that the great redwood groves begin at Laytonville if you travel up 101. Does this mean that you do not encounter any redwood groves south of Laytonville whilst driving 101? This would be a long drive if so with comparatively little to see. I really like the look and idea of driving up highway 1 on the Pacific Coast, would I see more redwood groves up that route? I must admit I also fancy a voyage on the Skunk railway between Fort Bragg and Willits, would any of you recommend it or would it be better to do the drive on highway 20? Would I see huge redwood forests either way, is Jackson State Forest a huge redwood forest?

Comments (10)