SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arceesmith

Slideshow of Conifer Photos

arceesmith
15 years ago

Greetings everyone!

A few years ago I created a slideshow of conifers and made it available to download through the Iseli Nursery website. I hope you have had a chance to download it and have found it enjoyable and useful.

I am thinking about creating a new slideshow since I have taken hundreds of new photos since then. My question to you fellow conifer enthusiasts is this: What would you like to see in a new conifer slideshow?

I would love feedback on the existing ss and any comments on what you might like to see in a new one.

Would it be better to make a huge show including all the cultivars in the current show or would it be better to make a totally new show with only cultivars not included in the original?

In case you haven't had a chance to download the current show, I'll provide a handy link below to the page at Iseli where it's available to download.

Thanks for your input!

rcsmith

Here is a link that might be useful: Slideshow page at Iseli

Comments (26)

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Have had this downloaded for some time now, and always loved looking at it from time to time.
    So to see something new, as in new cultivars would certainly appeal to me.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

hello mr smith ....

i NEVER download anything .. period..

ergo ... i have NEVER seen your slide show ...

with all the various photo hosting services ... i dont understand why i have to expose my hard drive to potential threats ...

since you asked .. arent there alternatives to the format in its entirety???

thanks for thinking about it ...

ken

PS: please do understand.. that now that the seed has been planted ... i will slowly go insane, not knowing whats in the slide show.. and will probably have to download it sooner or later .. lol

• Related Discussions

Conifer Cultivar Photo Gallery Index, 2010

Q

Comments (90)
    Whats just as impressive is that all the pics are still here! I was just thinking of the lack of activity and picture posts here after seeing other forums bumping with activity and picture posts...which by the way DON'T have a separate gallery. This forum was discriminated!
    ...See More

Post Garden Long Shots (photos and slideshows)

Q

Comments (16)
    Mark - No, I have not planted the ragoon creeper yet. I haven't quite figured out where I want to put it. The other plant that you gave me that produces clusters of blue flowers is sending up a couple more flower stalks. This plant reminds me of a super dwarf Lily-of-the--Nile. Besides, I have been spending a LOT of time working in the vegetable garden. I will post pics of that in the near future. Anna - Thank you very much for the compliments. I do enjoy strong colors too. I find colorful foliage easier to deal with in the hot summer...no deadheading. Actually I have another planted area that I could show you but it's not quite as eye catching. I'll take more pictures soon and post it on this thread. Christine
    ...See More

Photos to DVD for slideshow ?

Q

Comments (9)
    I made a short slide show in windows movie maker to show you what could be done. I put the 5 pictures in a folder, opened windows movie maker, clicked on 'add videos and photos', navigated to the folder and selected all of them and clicked 'Open'. They all uploaded to movie maker. I then clicked on 'Animations' tab and added a transition and saved the movie as demo. Here's a link to it so you can see if you want to use it. You will recognize the subject.
    ...See More

Save on Photo Slideshows

Q

Comments (1)
    Please read the rules before posting to the forums. Thanks.
    ...See More
  • bluespruce53
    15 years ago

It's completely safe ken, you don't know what your missing!

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

I agree with blue ...it's an excellent presentation. Anybody remotely interested in conifers and associated companion plants needs to see this.

rc... I would prefer all conifers in one show.

Dave

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input so far.

bluespruce and Dave, you have canceled out each others vote! :^)

Ken, your PS cracked me up! (It is safe, I promise.) I will give some thought to your request for an alternative viewing experience.

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

I vote for one show...

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Hi. I've not seen the first one yet, but, of course,anything nice is welcome.Many thanks! T.

15 years ago

i know its safe .. i have been there.. not in a long time..

but since you were asking for suggestions.. what the heck.. at least you will think about it ...

presuming it is clean at inception ... HOW DO YOU KNOW IT CANT GET HIJACKED AT SENDING... i dont know .. maybe its just a stupid question .. as i have no training in such ...

will review later ... and see if anything else strikes me.. SINCE YOU ASKED

ken

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Calm down ken :0)

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Are the slides in the slide show the same ones as in the drop-down list "Quick Jump to PhotoPages"?

If yes, there's a few nomenclatural, etc., errors on it that could do with correcting.

Resin

• mckenna
    15 years ago

Awesome work with the original slideshow. I have watched it several times. I would say show them all unless the file size gets too huge. Thanks for the work.

Ken, if you're afraid to download stuff from the internet, what else do you use it for besides plants? :)

Bill

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Just watched the first one...twice .Horticulture at it's best ! Congratulations ! T.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

Very beautiful work. I hadn't seen it before.

If you plan on continuing to take more pictures, then you may as well start breaking them up into separate shows now. If these new pix will be the last of it, then I vote to incorporate them into one.

tj

• tishfromwis
    15 years ago

Well, now that I picked my jaw up off of the floor and wiped the drool off of my chin, I must say SPECTACULAR!!! My one dream trip was to go to New Hampshire for the changing of the leaves, but now I would have to say that I would absolutely love to walk through Iseli's Nursery!!! Is it open to the public? What ever slide show you do next can only compliment the first, Mr. Smith...

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for all your feedback!

Resin - Feel free to email me any errors you see and I will get it to the right people.

tishfromwis - Iseli is not open to the public, though with proper arrangements, Garden Groups have scheduled tours. You might get friendly with your favorite garden center people and go along with them the next time they visit on a buying trip perhaps. Otherwise, I guess you're stuck with my photos. :^)

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

Pretty shocking photos. I think if the general public laid eyes on a lot of those cultivar there would be more people buying unique conifers and japanese maples.

Great presentation.

Will

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Pretty shocking...." Wow - am I getting old? Is that like saying the photos are, "sick" or "wicked"? :^)

Great idea - so how do we get the general public to see these things?

15 years ago

first a complaint ....

i open it.. it fills the screen completely ... even the bar that i dont know what it is called... so every note i type here.. will involve closing the program.. and reopenning it ... i guess i would like if it ran like a screen saver.. so i could do other things.. and be surprised what pops up when i minimize windows ...

now.. hopefully i can remember ... first pic of jean's memorial garden.. looks like green arrow on left ... and there is a big green picea???? on the right.. that looks like it has white growth or cones.. any chance at an ID .... i will reopen the slide show and check properties.. to see if i can get a pic name ... brb.. lol .. couldnt do it ...

other thoughts. ...

i like on the third version down.. if i hit pause.. i then control the page turning for the duration ... i can skip those that are zone improper.. and linger on those i like...

love the purple and pink cone pix... what kind of camera are you using.. with what attachments...

i always presumed saybrook gold came out of saybrook OH.. girards or al fournash .... surprised to see your mass planting ...

i know you guys have a lot of PPending plants... is it correct that all are NOT patented .. in other words.. you propagate salable plants .. rather than just your own??

i have a plant .. one of my first .. so i wasnt a nomenclature freak back then .. that i thought was Picea abies WB .... i presumed it was just a witches broom off P.a. ... but i see you have P.a. 'witches BROOD' ... now i am wondering if mine isnt that ... and its under a foot of ice and snow... wonder if i have a pic on the hard drive.. presuming your show didnt wipe me out.. lol ... never mind .. my database says: Picea glauca 'Witches Broom Seedling'
    .. pic below regardless .... which has absolutely nothing to do with your P. a. .. but i apparently digress ... and note my ton thumb behind it.. why are your pix so much better than mine???? it has to be the camera .. maybe the operator...

finally .. many of your specimens look a bit sickly .. if you send me one of each ... i will nurse them along for you .. to insure your future success ..... rotflmbo ....

ken
    {{gwi:627242}}

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ken - apparently nobody has told you that you always need to begin with compliments, move on to questions, and then bring up your complaints while finishing with a nice big compliment.

Now go back and re-write your post....I'll wait.... ;^)

I don't have time to wait, so you're off the hook this time!

Regarding your first comment involving the full-screen format of the slide show, I think what you might want is a windowed show rather than a screen saver. Running as a screen saver, the show would stop whenever you touched a key or mouse. If I set it up to run in a window, then you could do other things while the show runs. I've never thought that would be useful to people - I'll look into it.

Second - the ID on the tree on the right side in the first JI Memorial Garden shot is Abies numidica. Great tree.

Third - I've been using a Canon 10D since 2003. Great camera. Most shots are taken using either an EF17-40 4.0L, EF70-200 4.0L or EF100mm 2.8 Macro lens along with a sturdy tripod and remote shutter release.

Fourth - Iseli has actually only patented one plant to my knowledge, Juniperus horizontalis 'Motherlode'PP#5948. A few others have been trademarked by Iseli. The nursery grows plants from many different collectors/sources not only their own discoveries.

Finally - "Sickly"?? Now yer just tryin' to pick a fight! :^)

Thanks for keeping the thread lively!

15 years ago

thank you.. oh god .. thank you .. there that part is done ...

you asked for comments ..

not a properly prepared thesis .... lol ..

i knew the screen saver term was wrong.. but the 6 year old has a 102 fever .. and i was rushed ... and distracted ...

whats the difference between a patent and a trademark ... from a practical standpoint.. rather than a legal ... either way .. you get a royalty per plant sold???? or produced????

ken

15 years ago

oh .. and one other suggestion ...

that gorgeous picture of the most invasive.. hard to kill ... truly monstrous plant .... hoyatoya something or another ... the chameleon plant ..

yes it coloration is amazing ... but you better plant it out in the back 20 acres.. and plan for the day it approaches the house.. and then figure out a way to kill it ... napalm, maybe????

when peeps visit my house.. good friends get good gift plants..

idiots get a piece of this plant ... lol .. and they are happy about it ... lol ...

its a gorgeous pic.. but really .. do we need to encourage people ???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: perhaps i am not the only one that feels this way

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Patented plants can only be grown, distributed, or sold by the patent holder or someone licensed by the patent holder. If you bought one and wanted to grow a cutting or graft a scion onto another rootstock, you legally couldn't without permission.

A trademarked name means the person or company that came up with the name used in selling the plant has rights to that name. An example would be if I saw selling your Picea glauca 'Witch's Broom' and sold it is Brandon's Special Picea glauca. I could trademark "Brandon's Special" (well maybe, but you get the idea).

There has been a lot of legal debate lately about trademarked names in the plant industry. Courts have been throwing out some of the cases brought against people using trademarked names. For instance, if I started selling your Picea glauca as Picea glauca 'Brandon', and everyone came to know the plant as that name, my trademark would not be valid. Anyway, trademarks are for names (not cultivars, etc), and they have a lot of limitations.

• cascadians
    15 years ago

I use a Mac -- this doesn't work on a Mac.

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I truly appreciate all you input!

I'm glad brandon7 commented on the patent and trademark topic. It's kind of a hot topic with different schools of thought. I'm a photographer not an attorney. ;^)

Cascadians - Yes....unfortunately I have no access to a Mac to even consider creating a show for that OS. There is the possibility of creating a DVD. Hmmmm........Although, now that I think about it, I could create a PDF with all the photos. MAC users would be able to open a Windows generated PDF, right? I'll look into that too. I wonder though, if you would be just as happy downloading the current PDF catalog full of photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Iseli PDF catalog download page

15 years ago

hey RC ....

so i am looking at the shortcut/icon on my desktop.. and i think.. well its time to get rid of this ...

i right click.. no uninstall option ...

so i open add/remove programs thingee ... technical term there... but i dont see it listed as a program ...

so then i open my explorer ... and there it sits in its 117,000 KB size .... claiming its an application.. but again.. no option to delete ...

will it be off my hard drive if i simply delete my shortcut ...???

thanks... ken

• arceesmith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ken, The slideshow is a self contained program file. Nothing is installed anywhere on your computer when you run the file. What you downloaded is all there is. When you delete it, it leaves nothing behind to haunt you later.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County