SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

I hope this isn't too OT...How did you learn?

lindakimy
17 years ago

I've gardened for a lot of years - in a lot of different environments: western NY with winters that piled on snow from October til May, in southern California with no frost and temps so mild that impatiens were year round bloomers, in Atlanta in hard red clay, in Columbia, SC in a bog with springs, and in Elgin, SC in a hot, dry sand pile that gets VERY few of the "scattered showers" the weatherman talks about. Seems like every time I begin to "get it" I move.

It has been frustrating but it is still my one constant, ongoing source of satisfaction. I fail more than I succeed. But still I cannot stop. I simply MUST get out and mess with the plants. Often I wonder if I know what I'm doing. I've never had any formal training. My Daddy was a wonderful gardener but he wanted to do it all himself and he really didn't think women had any place out there getting dirty and sweaty. I've read books and magazines and listened when others have talked about techniques. But I still feel right stupid sometimes.

My question is (and I'm hoping to learn some resources here) how did YOU learn what you know about gardening? There are so many people here who are such expert gardeners...I'm constantly impressed. Where and how did you learn? And what can I do to improve?

Comments (16)