SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cardr_gw

Newly planted B&B Blue Spruce Browning up!

cardr
17 years ago

A question to the experts!

I purchased three pine trees from a semi-nursery which was going out of business. I don't think the trees were well taken care of. However the price was right so I took the chance. Two of the Furs are doing OK, but the Blue spruce doesn't look so good.

My soil makeup is ~10-12" of topsoil which was very evident when I was planting and then a mixture of clay lower down. I dug the hole ~10" down and twice as big as the ball ~4' diameter circle. I took the wire off the ball, and cut the burlap in several places, but left it on the ball. I pulled the top back and put mulch around the drip line.

As you can see from some of the pics below the tree has lost many of it's needles and parts are a very dark brown. However I see some new growth, but it's not making sense. I don't know if the tree is just in shock from planting, or there is something else wrong. I'm thinking it didn't get much water at the nursery b/c of them going out of business. So, I'm watering almost every day or every other day if it doesn't rain. I'm worried about over watering but don't know how much is to much. I'm putting the hose on it for several hours on a trickle. Should I just let it go and keep watering or what would your suggestions be?

Thanks

Image link:

Comments (2)