SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktroy_gw

newly planted thuja green giant turning brown

ktroy
15 years ago

I planted +/- 30 thuja GG trees and every one I planted turns very brown after a month or two in the ground. The entire plant turns deep bronze and some branches turn yellow and flake off.

I planted 5 of the 30 last fall as an expirement and they did the same thing.. very dark bronze and dieing branches through winter.. but now in april the remaining branches turned light green and healthy.

The remaining 25 I planted a month ago have the same problem... very dark bronzing. I planted by the book instructions.. no fertilizer and well watered the planting hole. The weather has provided ample rain .. so much so in fact that I think they have had too much water.

my soil is a clay loam.. not a heavy clay .. a sandy loamy clay.. I would say its a medium drained soil. I am in the Blue Ridge/Piedmont region of VA.

The plants have had sun exposure most all winter.. could this be the culprit?

The 25 that did not get planted were purchased around January and sat on my porch with the pots surrounded by mulch for insulation. They were exposed to some winter sun. I planted these in March, and now a month later they are very bronze with branches dieing off.

My question is: Will they be so damaged that they will need to recover and not grow well for a few years? Will they die?

remember, the 5 I planted in the fall did the same thing.. but now are a light lively green. Are they too very damaged and recovering?

What did I do wrong?

Here are the ones planted a month ago.. very brown

{{gwi:682656}}

{{gwi:682657}}

{{gwi:682658}}

Here are the ones planted last fall.. went through brown stage now light green

{{gwi:682659}}

{{gwi:682660}}

{{gwi:682661}}

Comments (15)