SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cashmang

Newly planted emeral green arborvitae turning brown -- pls help!

cashmang
8 years ago

I planted a 9' tall balled and burlaped arborvitae that I purchased from my local nursery about 2 weeks ago. I am using it as an accent piece at the end of a flower and shrub bed that is gently sloping.

I live in Seattle (Zone 8).

Since planting the tree two weeks ago, the tips of the foliage have started to turn brown and the tree overall seems less "vibrant" -- kind of droopy foliage compared to when I purchased it.

The garden bed I planted it in consists of about a foot deep of imported organic rich topsoil (purchased in bags from Home Depot) over hardpan silt with some chunks of gravel (kind of like glacial till -- difficult to dig). I dug a hole about twice the diameter of the root ball and about the same depth as the height of the root ball, and filled the hole with water. It took about 20 minutes to drain. I figure since the whole site is on a slope, the water soaks in and then drains downslope on top of the hardpan layer.

I removed the burlap, set the tree in the hole, and backfilled around the rootball with the topsoil that I had dug out, and packed it down around the root ball with the end of a shovel handle. I backfilled to the top of the root ball and put a couple of inches of bark mulch around the roots. I watered it well after planting.

It has been pretty dry and warm these past couple of weeks, so I have been watering it around the roots for about 10 minutes straight every day or every other day. The tree is pretty much in full sun, with some afternoon shade from an adjacent 6' tall fence.

I feel like I did everything right but apparently not, because it is turning brown. Am I over watering? Under watering? Wrong soil? Did I plant too deep (I'd say the top of the root ball is about even with the surrounding grade). I watered it last night at dusk, and at lunch time today I poked my finger in the soil and it seemed plenty moist. I found it interesting that the root ball after I removed the burlap was almost pure clay, slimy clay like you would make pots from.

Should I dig it up and try replanting it? Or would that shock the tree even more?

Comments (8)