SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

In Remembrance of the Mint Bed

15 years ago

So yeah... When we moved in here almost two years ago we were blessed with this huge flowerbed in the back yard that is about 70ft long and 40ft wide in some areas. The narrower leg of the bed was planted with a mass of tall sunflower stalks baring millions of little yellow flowers about the size of a silver dollar. Along the edge of that side was a border consisting of lush chunks of spearmint. It was absolutely beautiful... at the time. We conducted our business in September and were moved in by the middle of October. The mint was looking a little scraggly but the sunflowers lasted well into December. Of course everything died back in the winter and I just left it all there. I love planting things but I haven't found a way to enjoy cleaning up the mess when the season is over. Once things start dying back I start getting SAD (I'll bet those clever psychologists had fun naming that one)and I can barely bring myself to go out into the yard much less participate in demolishing random areas of it.

Anyway, to prevent making a short story from becoming any longer as I can most assuredly make it I'll get to the point. I am a procrastinator. I let that bed do what it was going to do until the spring, pulled up the stalks and left it. My rationale behind that was.."well, I don't know what I am going to put there anyway so might as well let what grows there grow rather than have an empty spot in the flower bed.". And so it did grow...and grow... and grow some more. And then it seeded.

By this spring the bed looked like this:

{{gwi:574657}}

So my idea was.. ok..I'll mow it, pull up the plants and till it and then I can plant. Ha..Ha...on me. It took maybe two weeks and the photo above is the actual photo of the bed after I mowed it. Yes, I procrastinated yet again.

Well after a year and some months of struggling with the mint I was way beyond the type of frustration that causes one to MOW and entire flower bed. I called in the troops.

That bed is apparently a good deal bigger than it looks. It took us two entire days to pull up every single plant in that bed. We transplanted the sunflowers and threw the mint into a huge pile. At this point any value that plant may have had was overshadowed by my need to take revenge and take my bed back. I allowed them to dry to a crunchy black crisp in full sun during the heat wave. It was great.

So after two days of pulling mint we spent another two days pulling roots. During this event we were not so pleased to find another obstacle in our plan. Gravel? And not just a little bit.

{{gwi:581718}}

Apparently when they graded the area beside the garage there was gravel laid down previously. And that dirt got carried over into the yard and that is what the flowerbed was made of.

So... two weeks later after tilling this rock solid dirt and removing any semblance of mint root or gravel:

{{gwi:581719}}

TA..DA.. yes we finally got it cleaned out.

We still didn't have a real plan for the area so we decided that in order to keep the ground nice and pliable until next year we would plant...

{{gwi:581720}}

...Our veggie garden in that spot. No it isn't exactly the most beautiful thing in the world and in my opinion not as pretty as the mint bed was but I am so glad to be at least a little closer to my goal... which is to prevent yard domination by the mint. The veggies don't seem to mind the temporary situation either:

{{gwi:581721}}

{{gwi:581722}}

Comments (8)