SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

My newest vacation remembrance,,,, sea turtle tin.

FlamingO in AR
17 years ago

This is what I've been working on for the last week or so. It's to commemorate the sea turtle nest and hatching of 147 babies at the beach house last summer, and also it's just FUN.

It's made from an Altoids tin, cinnamon tins are preferred because of the nice gold color of the bottom. This is the turtle building her nest and laying the eggs. There are shells in the sand and a shark's tooth, which we find on the beach there all the time. Also, "147" is carved into the sand so we'll never forget how many babies we had. The turtle is removable.

Under the sand is a magnet and another in the turtle's belly, I wanted her removable so you could see the egg coming out. I'm going to make a new turtle for this before I send it off, I added that magnet after the fact and don't like how messy it looks.

When you open it up, there's a little beach inside. A turtle nest is roped off on the right hand side. A coconut palm tree is on the left, it's removable so you can close the tin. A sea kayak is ready to hit the water, a manatee head and a shark's fin complete the doo-dads. They all have magnets imbedded in the bottoms and you can use a magnet under the tin to make them scoot around if you want. lol

I painted a sunset like we see every night while we eat dinner in the front yard and covered it with microbeads, gives it a nice effect.

I had so much fun making this. I need to make another one to keep, this one's a gift for our friends. I STOLE this idea from craftster, a person made a little skating rink with tiny fimo people. I just took that idea and changed it from ice to water, but the sea turtle bit is all mine. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

The beach is Sculpy, the water is water-based polyurethane and a tiny drop of blue food coloring, it takes about 4 days to set up completely. I glued some sand down on the beach. The sand/top is Paper Clay, a paper mache type of stuff, dries in about a day. Making the magnet things work was the hardest part.

Have you ever done anything neat with an Altoids tin?

Comments (10)