SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Some of my eggplant fruits are mustardy yellow?

tuesdayschild
11 years ago

Hi all, This is the first year that my raised beds have been ferociously productive (4.5 lbs of tomatoes a day from a 4 x 9 bed, 12 eggplants a week from the same bed) -- in the first two years it was too hot (severe miscalculation on my part re manure/compost) to be a big yielder. This year we are going gangbusters -- tomatoes, eggplants, sugarsnaps, and pole beans, all great. Up until about 4 weeks ago. Then two of my japanese eggplants (all the same variety, out of a 6 pack) started failing to turn purple. These guys are loong (8") and well formed, but they aren't turning purple. Some other ones (higher up on the plant and shorter) are already a dark purple, but the big guys aren't. The other 3 plants are all throwing dark purple glossy eggplants just like they are s'posed to, but these two have 60 percent kind of mustardy yellow w/ some purply tinging on them. They are glossy and healthy and still growing. The plants are happy as clams. I can't tell you what variety because evidently someone switched the tags at the nursery (I've grown these for 4 years and they are always dark, dark purple fruits, dark purple flowers and purpley leaves-- these guys are green leaved, lavender flowers and skinny (skinnier) long (longer) dark purple fruits, except for these two weird ones. Can an eggplant be ripe even if its not purple? These fruits are already over an inch longer than I usually harvest them and haven't purpled yet. I've harvested several darker purple fruits from higher on the plants already, because I trusted them (and they were yummy). I don't know if I should "cut my losses" on these and take 'em off (I have about 2 more mos of harvesting left from these plants) or be patient and wait for some purple, or just harvest em and cook 'em up now. Any wisdom? Thanks, JD

Comments (7)