SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
citrusnut

Let me introduce myself

citrusnut
15 years ago

Hi all, I'm sort of new to amaryllis/hippeastrum growing except that years ago I did one that looks like H. straitum. It is my goal to have it again someday. I've been gathering information by reading some of the back posts and even bought my first bulbs a couple of weeks ago at Walmart. All they had were 2 red lions so I bought them.

Here they are.

{{gwi:386855}}

The one with the larger flower spike was repotted first because it rocked in its pot and was found to have root rot. I washed it and sprinkled it with lots of cinnamon and now now it's growing. The other one had a good root system.

I can't wait to see them bloom.

Sorry about the picture size, so far I haven't figured out how to make them smaller.

Comments (43)

• blancawing
    15 years ago

Welcome citrusnut!

• pumas
    15 years ago

Welcome Citrusnut.Where in Wisc you located?

• Related Discussions

Let me introduce myself

Q

Comments (18)
    You're funny, Tally! :-) It's so true, though... we speak such a jumble of slang and improperly used words... I couldn't imagine having to learn English at my age! The internet has made the world a lot smaller, and we find that people in different areas, different countries, are the same as we are... we have the same hopes and dreams, the same hobbies, and the same things are important to us. Through GardenWeb, I've made some wonderful friends, and some live on the opposite side of the globe! It's nice that we can share our love of bulbs, our love of gardening, with others... and we can learn about the different ways we all culture our bulbs, and the different seasons and ways of gardening. And one of the best parts is that we're able to share this in picture form, so we can see what gardening is like around the world!
    ...See More

Let me introduce myself...

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you all for your kind words! I will pass them onto Jack the creator. Jack K. kindly gives each named lady in the Aussie Beauty series the first available pup. I don't know how long before she will be commercially available in Australia, let alone globally. I suspect my namesake vriesea will keep her good looks perpetuated longer than my own! LOL Cheers, Kerry
    ...See More

let me introduce myself...

Q

Comments (28)
    Welcome to the Cooking Forum, Princess. I think a "bikkie" is a biscuit or a cookie, so have one and a cup of whatever you like, relax and enjoy. Forget about the housework, I do. Especially since that blasted cabana boy, Raoul, has NEVER shown up for work. Like Sol, my home is usually the storm before the calm, and I LIKE it that way! Annie (aka Empress of the Universe)
    ...See More

Let me introduce myself..

Q

Comments (29)
    Welcome Susan!!!! This is a great forum with very talented members. Hope your recovery is fast! I also like to 'put up' stuff and garden. I moved from Central Florida to a small (very small lol) SE Georgia town (community) and I have no quilting friends here so I depend on our forum for knowledge and entertainment. Everyone in my town and family loves my quilts and they tolerate me talking about them but I have not met or converted a quilter yet here yet. Yes we do love pics! Rosa
    ...See More
  • brigarif Khan
    15 years ago

Hope you get addicted.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Welcome! Glad you're joining us!

If you plan to be a Hippeastrum addict, as we are, you may want to pick up some items to help with sick bulbs... it's almost a certainty that you'll run into problems at some point... I think we all have!

Cinnamon is a natural fungi inhibitor, but it also can inhibit root growth. It's probably best to obtain an anti-fungal powder to keep on hand, along with a rooting hormone powder to promote root growth. Before I had my gardening items bought, I reached for cinnamon, too... it's a handy little item. Just keep in mind that it can inhibit root growth.

Glad to have you with us, and can't wait to see those two beauties in full bloom... do post photos!

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

Ah ha ha ha! YOu come here PLANNING to be addicted? Are you SURE you know what you are in for, LOL!? Welcome welcome!

By the way, I dropped in here a couple of years ago and now have over 150 bulbs plus lots of 2 yr old seedlings. Do you have a greenhouse yet? Better start planning for one!

That said, Let me introduce myself. I am a Retired Parent, who has turned her nurturing genes toward Gordon Setters and plants of all kinds. THere is nothing in the middle of the winter to cheer one like seeing a new bud coming on an big fat bulb, and watching it slowly grow and unfurl, then loving the glow of color through the dark days outside!

• larschar
    15 years ago

Awwww....look at you go with your Red Lions! That's what I started my addiction with. It's a great spring board into insanity!!! Let me introduce myself to you, as well. My name is Larissa and I have a ton of bulbs. lol I'm 26....married....two kids.....housewife....a little on the bulb-psycho side. Welcome! It's a friendly group. Enjoy :-)

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

Welcome to the fray, chrisnut!

I'm attaching to this message a link to GardenWeb's guide to using HTML code to add stuff to your messages.

I totally agree with them when they say that 450 pixels is usually wide enough (especially for vertical pics).

I really would recommend keeping it under 800 pixels, since many people still like to use the 800x600 screen size.

Of course, there is a downside to using the "width=###" code, and that is that if the image sets moved or deleted, you're left with a giant, empty box in your message.....

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do I Use HTML Code...?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Places like Photobucket have sizing tools for photos, also... I do mine before uploading, using Photoshop.

It's especially nice for those who are still using dial up service... I'm on a satellite link, so my load time is zip.

I try to keep my photos at around 500 x 500 pixels or less, though some do go over.

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

I was just browsing through the Test Forum Gallery and found a link to a page with a chart of 140 different colors you can use to spruce up your text. (This color is "Tomato.") Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: html color chart

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

One last thing--I just noticed that your member nams is "CITRUSnut", nit "chrisnut."

Sorry!

• Oklahoma_Tim
    15 years ago

nit=not/>
    Today just ain't my day.
    I'm logging off now....

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

LOL! It's ok, Tim... we know what you meant! I still haven't learned to play around with text and colors on here... I probably should just for the heck of it! Thanks for posting that link.

• citrusnut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, what a nice and friendly group. Already I have found myself going out of my way to find stores that may carry bulbs looking for another color. Frankly, I truly don't need another addiction, but I'm weak and can't resist a pretty plant or flower. I live in a small 3 bedroom house and have plants crammed everywhere. It has a north facing sunroom though and that helps alot.

In my house, I've got 134 orchids, 8 citrus, 10 african violets, 8 ferns, 7 brugs, 2 large gardenias, 2 palm trees, a large norfolk island pine (our xmas tree), 2 jades, 2 plumeria,1 plumbago, agapanthus, 1 mango, coffe plant, 2 amaryllis, and a few more plants. Plus Frank will be sending seeds. And my wish list is large.

And now I feel an attraction for for hippeastrums. Sounds like trouble.

Pumas, I live in Watertown.

Jodi, I have rooting hormone and cinnamon already. However, I didn't know that cinnamon inhibited root growth.

Tim, thanks for the html. Photobucket has changed recently and I'm trying to adjust to the new way.

I've been using Adobe and Photobucket.

Theresa

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Hello, Theresa! Get ready to be completely addicted! I began a couple of years ago... I came here to ask about the one bulb I had at the time, and now, I have over 60 different varieties and other Amaryllids, and I live in a tiny one room apartment!

I see you already have a large addiction to green growing things! That's quite a plant collection!

Cinnamon can inhibit root growth, so for anti-fungal use, I keep Captan, by Bonide, hanging around. I think Farm & Fleet might carry it, but if not, most larger stores should have it. Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's... like those. It's in a white container with a purple/blue cap. It's been a lifesaver for dealing with rot, which can happen if conditions are too damp.

This is my very favorite forum, and these people are the nicest, most generous bunch you'll find anywhere! We're like a little family here, very casual... so pull up a keyboard and join us! :-)

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    15 years ago

Welcome Theresa! I haven't officially introduced myself.
    I live in SW Florida, married, have bad green addition.I have about 150 hoyas, 30 orchids, 10 desert roses, Flower beds full of tropicals and bulbs. Most of my plants stay out all year except on cold spells & hurricane season.
    I am slowly getting addicted to the bulbs...OH NOOOO!

Jan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'm in Central IL, zone 5, married, 3 grown kids, 3 grandkids, 3 dogs... small upstairs apartment, crammed with bulbs and orchids and other plants. I'm also an avid outdoor perennial gardener, addicted to miniature roses, Daylilies, and most everything green and growing!

Welcome all newcomers! :-)

• citrusnut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Being from cold Wisconsin I envy you guys in the warm climates that leave your plants out all year. The most mine can safely stay outside is maximum of 5 months (or less).

My husband and I never had any kids. We have 3 cats and 1 dog-all unwanted and homeless animals that got a forever home with us.

I'm not familiar with hoyas but I hear that they're fragrant. Jan, I'd like to see your 150 hoyas. So far I have 1 desert rose and plan to get another one soon. I like that they can stay small.

My outdoor gardening consists mostly of container growing. The soil in my yard is like stone. When I do want something planted my husband digs the hole. Last year we planted some more strawberries that will coming up this year and I'm ready for them. We planted some the year before and used bark mulch. That worked very well. All the strawberries stayed clean. We should have quite a nice harvest this year. Yum!

I love daylilies also and we have a few planted. I'd love to find one of those basic tall stemmed old fashioned orange ones that I see in peoples yards, but never find in garden centers or nurseries.

{{gwi:386856}}

{{gwi:386857}}

Thanks Tim for the heads on the sizing. Learned that I have to choose the size first before I download.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

I'm a little late, but Welcome Theresa! The seeds to the little orange bloomer should find you shortly. :-)

I'm Frank and I'm addicted to all things that grow and flower...LOL! Those strawberries look good 'nuff to eat! YUM!

Oh my gosh, you want so tall orange daylillies? Well you are in luck! We have droves and droves of them on the fenceline at our family farm. When they start to come up, I will send you bunches of them if you want!

-Frank

• citrusnut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frank, you bet I want them. Yes, yes, yes!

Do they stay in a clump like the newer ones do or do they naturalize? Either would be great, would just have to plant them in different areas. Oh boy, I'm happy now.

Thank you, Theresa

• PRO
    15 years ago

Here are some of the plants during the cold spells.
    {{gwi:382170}}
    {{gwi:382171}}
    {{gwi:386858}}

• PRO
    15 years ago

Your strawberries look so yummy.

• larschar
    15 years ago

We planted a gazillion strawberry plants last year so I'm really hoping for some berries this year. I hope ours look as good as yours, Theresa.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

You are doubly in luck on the Daylilies, Theresa... I have the regular oranges and a few double oranges hanging around in pots... as soon as they begin showing themselves, I can send some your way... if you'd like! We got a bunch a couple of years ago to naturalize around here, and some are just leftovers, siting in pots. In fact, it might be interesting to get some from both Frank and myself, and see if there's any difference... the interbreeding might actually bring renewed vigor to the next generation!

Jan, I love that picture! Your home is so bright and airy! I just love that look! And that Hoya bloom is spectacular! I have one little Hoya, a variegated leaved variety... it'll be years before it blooms, I'm sure.

We have Strawberries planted in one portion of the perennial bed, behind the garage... an ever-bearing and a pink flowered variety... they never produce anything decent, but they do make a nice ground cover! I just thinned out the bed last spring... what an unbelievable tangle! They almost choked out my Yarrow and a few other perennials!

Theresa, email me when your weather breaks in spring, and I'd be happy to send you some Daylilies!

• PRO
    15 years ago

Jodi, thanks for your compliment!!!
    I really like the bright rooms so curtains are there for decoration only.
    Jan

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Jan, what is the plant blooming in your third picture? Is that the hoya Jodi was referring to? Its gorgeous!

Ryan

• cindeea
    15 years ago

pssst Jan (warning-warning-warning) don't show jodi your kitchen looking over the back pool cage and the canal behind it...she'll move in FOR SURE!!!!

Who is that last Red beauty? She looks like she has icicles among her blooms...I love it. BTW I hung your corkscrew vine under the pergola and twined it about the slats. She seems really happy there! You will have to let me know about root growth when you come for lunch and how soon to pot her up.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Theresa- They tend to have a naturalizing habit to them. They are more spread out than clumpy...and they spring up all over the place. I guess the seeds get blown by the wind? I don't know! I'll try to dig for photos. I'm really starting to like Daylillies, especially since they are so darn tough! I may have to start a collection along the fenceline of all different colors!

Jan- Wow! Look at all those goodies! It must be lots of fun to cart all those beauties in when it gets cold. They are all so lovely!

-Frank

• PRO
    15 years ago

Thank you all.
    Ryan, yes that is Hoya mindorensis. One of my favorute.
    Cindee, I planted my corkscrew vine in the ground. I had the one in pot but the roots started to grow into the dirt so I think the vine will be happier in the ground. Maybe you can plant the vine where you had the pea vine.
    Frank, yes it's actually too much work carting them all in the house. But I enjoy them most of the time. lol

• kitty747
    15 years ago

Hi, and welcome. I'm Kitty. I live in cold NJ, but am so glad to be back home from a trip to Florida. I also have a Hoya, only one, but it's huge (and I forgot its name). Also have about a hundred orchids, having just hauled about a dozen more from Florida, about 200 hippis, at least 10 Norfolks, bougainvillea, clivias, fern, begonias, and many citrus and palms. I just found a very nice lime, blooming and with fruit (my other lime turned out to be an orange of some sort), and brought home a wonderful fragrant pink and white oleander. I used to have a huge African violet collection, but for some reason they're all dying (may be wood-burning stove in basement where they have always lived). Oh, and I forgot to mention about a dozen hibiscus. Has anybody told you about CHAD?

• citrusnut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan, you've got a lovely, inviting, and pleasant home. Love your plants. That's one gorgeous hoya.

Wow Kitty, 200 hippis? You must have every color. Do you have a greenhouse? I'll bet orchid shopping in Florida must be fun. Citrus are one of my favorites, too. You've got lots of interesting stuff. And the newer versions are not invasive stay where you put them.

Jodi, I would love an orange daylilly. I must admit I would prefer the kind that grows in a clump cause I do live in the city. Here's another color that I love.

{{gwi:386859}}

Frank, I love daylilies cause they have such a long bloom season, need no special care and seem to be bullet proof.

• salpal
    15 years ago

Citrusnut- A welcome from nearby cold netherlands! Those strawberries look nummy did you grow them from seed or starts? I think it's much fun and easy to grow them from seed.

You will find it extremely rewarding to grow hippies in nasty cold climates- FLOWERS in winter! You can't grow wrong, so rewarding! Best of luck to you, you may wish to put off major aquisitions until next fall for best results and read all the info on this forum meanwhile. The folks on this forum have incredible amounts of info to share, and they are always helpful.
    Sally

• taz56
    15 years ago

Citrusnut,

Susan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Well now, Jan, you're going to HAVE to show photos of your kitchen overlooking the pool cage and the canal beyond! Up here in the north, I'm always interested in warming my bones through photography!

Cindee, if I thought for a second I could drag Larry away from IL, I'd be headed south, for sure!

Theresa, I've got a beautiful red/orange Daylily, name unknown, that clumps nicely and sets seed easily. The flowers are gorgeous, and it just keeps on blooming! My brother gave me a clump years ago, and it's become a nice pass-along variety. It's due for dividing this year. Actually, I have a rainbow of Daylily varieties... let's see what shakes out when the weather breaks and growth begins! I'd be happy to share!

Kitty! Good to have you back safe and sound! How'd everything go? Sounds like you brought back a nice plant haul! Most awesome!

Frank, be careful when it comes to Daylily collecting! There must be a million registered varieties! Take a quick peek at Ebay, and you'll go nuts! Singles, doubles, tall, short, mini, every color and color combination of the rainbow! I've got a nice selection of colors and sizes, but I could easily get lost in acquiring more! Iris are the same way... gorgeous colors and sizes... CHAD can really grab you and pull you in! I'm lost in miniature roses, myself!

• PRO
    15 years ago

Jodi, not the best photo.
    {{gwi:386860}}

• larschar
    15 years ago

Now THAT is a beautiful view.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

What a view! It's positively gorgeous! (major sigh!) Just the sight warms my bones, I swear! Thank you for sharing that, Jan!

Gosh, what I wouldn't give for a vacation in St. Pete right about now! We used to go there as kids... my parents would take us to the Gulf every January for two weeks! Great memories!

Right now, it's sunny and frigidly cold here... I'm having a bowl of oatmeal to help warm up before I go out to clean the kennel... then, I'll come back in and hibernate!

Thanks, Jan! Beautiful place you have... I'm jealous! :-)

• citrusnut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jan, is that a canal? That is a nice view.

Jodi, that red-orange daylilly sounds great if it's not too much trouble.

Sally, how cold does it get in zone 4? Minus 20 is usually the limit here, but this year it hit -24. My 2 hippi bulbs are growing so I've got pretty blooms to look forward to. Right now my orchids are keeping me happy. They're pretty reliable winter bloomers, too.

I'm looking forward to the strawberries this spring, we planted everbearing last summer and june bearing the summer before. It's nice to go outside and find something to eat.

• frank27603
    15 years ago

Jodi- Even better, I have learned there are Evergreen and Semi-evergreen varieties of Daylilies. LOL! I have checked out ebay and the "Lily Auction" or LA as it is referred to over on the Daylily forum...oh my god! I am overwhelmed! So much so that I may just stick to whatever they have at Lowe's instead of feeding a new addiction.

I also LOVE Iris, but there are SO many of those too. I am very drawn to really tough plants that can be planted and only tended to by nature. DL's and Iris are certainly that without extreme droughts. I also LOVE Daffodil bulbs...gosh, I could go on for days about those...LOL!

Jan- What a great view! When is the pool party? LOL!

-Frank

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Frank, hopefully I'll have some photos of our bulb garden to share this spring... wait until you see the Daffodils and Tulips I've got! I've also got quite an assortment of Iris and Daylilies! Tough and hardy, resistant to most problems, and beautiful... quite the bang for the buck! You could easily get lost if you begin collecting Iris and Daylilies! Have you seen the price tags on some? Wow!

Theresa, remind me after the weather breaks... I have a horrible memory... and I'll be happy to put together a care package for you! I don't have a name for the red/orange Daylily, but since my brother gave me the original, I call it "Tim's Daylily". It's really beautiful, and it flowers all summer for me. It grows to be a manageable clump, and I've had good luck pollinating it. I have others, too.

Tim's Daylily...
    {{gwi:386861}}

{{gwi:386862}}

Double Orange...
    {{gwi:40272}}

Daffodils...
    {{gwi:386864}}

Mom's Iris...

Just a little taste for Frank, and to show Theresa what those Daylilies look like! Somewhere around page 30 is where the summer flowers are located... I don't have individual files in the album, though I should have separated my pictures into groups. Hope you enjoy it anyway!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photo Album

• PRO
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's salt water canal, saw 5 manatees few years ago.
    Jodi, beautiful flowers.

• phoenixryan
    15 years ago

Jodi, the bearded iris are gorgeous! Do you have to lift them every year to protect them in winter?

A few of mine from years past...
    {{gwi:386865}}
    {{gwi:386866}}

Also love your 'Tim's Daylily' great color!

Ryan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Great Iris, Ryan! No, I don't lift anything! If it's not hardy to at least zone 4 or 5, I don't bother to plant it! I actually try to find plants that can tolerate the cold to zone 3 or 4, which assures me that they'll make it. The roses I plant are all own-root, no grafts, and they must be winter hardy. I have way too much to do to dig up plants every fall! I do have a few Canna and Glad roots, but those are for containers, patio pots.

Ooh, Jan! Sea cows! How awesome! I've seen dolphins and manta rays in the Gulf, but I've never seen a manatee up close.

I've been getting interested in the dwarf and intermediate sizes of Iris... they are so beautiful! I could easily get addicted to them, too!

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Hello and welcome, Theresa!
    I'm Xuan (say it like you would "s-w-a-n") and I'm from... you guess it... Vietnam.
    I'm quite new to gardening in general and still learning my ways around all the plants I have now in my possession.
    I'm sure you will find this forum one of the best sources of information on amaryllis bulb cultivation.

Xuan

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions