SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
layneev

Badly Located Apple Trees

layneev
16 years ago

Our farmhouse was built in the mid 1800s and apparently used to include an orchard, of which one pear tree and four apple trees remain. Unfortunately, they are now mostly in woods of much larger trees and euonymous, scrub brush, etc. The apple trees are right next to the swimming pool (also old, probably over 40 years), right next to, and almost growing into, the rail fence that separates the pool area from the scrubby woods. All of this, of course, was laid out long before we moved in a few years ago.

The apple trees are very tall, reaching for what light they can get, but they do bear fruit, a heavy crop of small apples, way too high to pick (and from tasting it, not that great)but those hundreds of apples rain right down into the pool and the surrounding deck, where they attract bees, hornets, flies, etc., are feasted on by critters of all kinds, splat and stain and leave a sticky mess, etc. Of course they are falling in the woods, too, and rotting there and around the pool, as hard as we try to keep them at least picked up (no way to keep up or even reach most of them).

We've had many recommendations from landscape people, tree people, pool people, etc. to cut them down. We did have to cut down one of them, absolutely covered with bittersweet vine. But the idea of cutting down those old apple trees, part of the history of our place, and still bearing so heavily, just kills me, I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. On the other hand, it's a huge waste, a huge magnet for insects and animals, and a huge HUGE mess from mid summer on. And the apple trees aren't really very happily situated, they don't get much sun, and are shaded by big oaks and maples and choked by the surrounding woods. There is a band of woods around the property that we leave pretty much untouched and concentrate on the acre and a half or so around the house.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice? Are there things you can spray that keep trees from fruiting? Is that even remotely practical? Could we cut them way, way down, to a level that maybe we at least would have a hope of picking some of the fruit and maybe donating it to a stable or something? Or am I just delaying the inevitable? Thanks so much. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions