SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carebear3117

Location of apple tree

carebear3117
16 years ago

I have some questions regarding the placement of my apple tree in my backyard and hoping that someone can give me some advice who has more experience than I do with fruit trees. I am a newbie gardener and the tree I transplanted last year is a September Ruby semi-dwarf apple tree and the tag said it can get a big as 16-20'X12-16'. The spot where I had planted it the year before was too much in the shade and we found out our soil is heavy clay and poorly drained so we moved it in the early spring and planted it higher up in the native soil to help with drainage. It leafed out in spring and seemed to be unaffected by its move. My first question involves my new planting location. My uncle just built us a shed (6-8 months after the apple tree was transplanted) and it is only 7-8' away from where the apple tree is now planted on one side only. Searching the Internet I have found websites that say the tree could get up to 20' wide. I now think after reading how large the tree can get that I will have to move the tree again as it will be eventually touching my shed but I am hoping that I can just keep the tree pruned to keep it manageable. Will I be able to keep the tree pruned to 12' wide maxiumum or should I move the tree again this spring? Will it kill the tree to be transplanted two years in a row?

I don't know why I didn't notice it before since we have lived in our house for the past 4 years but the majority of the backyard does not receive any direct sunlight in the winter. The sun is low in the sky now and the tree is planted on the north side of the house about 19 feet away but unfortunetly where it is planted it does not receive any sun in the winter except reflected light from the buildings around it. In the spring, summer and fall it is in direct/full sun. Since we live in zone 3 and the tree does not have leaves in the winter will it have a impact on the tree to not have sun in the winter?

Thank you,

Carrie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES