SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

How much is too much?

highalttransplant
16 years ago

Out of approximately 70 containers, I have germination in 36 of them. There was a LOT of germination in March, but the last couple of weeks, it's been very little. The last couple of days I've lost some sprouts in several containers. I don't think it was frost, since it was in the upper 20's, which is normal for us and the sprouts that died have been fine with those temps all along. There is still condensation in the tops of the containers, so I don't think that they are too dry. So the only other explaination I have is that they got too hot. I removed the tops on quite a few of them today, but they don't look any better than before.

If you look at the right side, there is an open spot. That used to be full like the other side.

{{gwi:383415}}

Here is a group of sprouted containers. The one on the far right in the middle row, had several healthy sprouts, now there is only four or five sickly looking ones left.

{{gwi:383416}}

(the two on the bottom row with the yellowing leaves are Alyssum, and those are just the cotyledons, not the true leaves that are yellow, so those are okay I think)

They are in the sun from the time it comes up, until about 2:30 or 3:00 pm. This is on the southeastern side of the house. The only other relatively safe spot for the containers is on the northwest side of the house. There they would get about 5 hours of late afternoon sun, instead of 8 hours of morning to mid afternoon sun. I'm just not sure if that would be better or not, and there is simply NO shade here (high desert, on a mesa, new subdivision, no trees).

So how much sun is too much, and does that only apply to germinated containers, or can the seeds fry too? I'm beginning to worry about some of the ones I WS in January that have zero germination in them, when things I sowed more recently are already up.

I know I sound like a worried newbie, but this is my second year, and I had some casualties at about this same point in the process last time too. I really need to figure out a way to keep things alive and healthy long enough to get them planted out. Even though I'm sold on wintersowing, I have to admit that losing sprouts is discouraging.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,

Bonnie

Comments (8)

Sponsored