SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labbe1980

Dwarf Weeping Cherry Assitance

labbe1980
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and was really just looking for some advice on my sapling. I purchased a dwarf weeping cherry from a nursery in MA, in July of last year. I had been kept dormant, so it took a while for it to "wake up" and start to grow. When I first got it is was around 1 ft tall, however shortly after planting and starting to grow new leaves, it dropped most of it's already grown branches and grew new ones, this shrunk it's height a bit.

Overall the tree is doing very well now, healthy leaves, lots of new growth within this past year, now standing around 2 ft tall, but there in lies my question.

What I'm noticing is that the height and growth of the tree so far is all due to branches growing upward, and not so much outward. The trunk which started at around 6 inches or so, is still 6 inches in height, but has many visible signs of growing in thickness over the past year. I would have to say it has nearly doubled if not tripped in truck thickness. It also has a very strong root system, from what I can tell.

My concern is that the trunk is not getting taller, and I have not been able to find anything online to indicate the growth patterns of these trees, so I don't know if something is wrong, or if this is normal and it will start to get taller within the next year or so. I did use some fertilizer designed for flowering trees this past year. I'm not sure if I should be pruning either. Should I remove the lower branches to encourage growth higher on the tree?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County