SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

rose sudden death

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I had a Golden Showers which I planted 22 years ago. It had 2 bare main large canes for about the first 5 feet up, and then they branched out into a reasonable bush that continued up another 6-8 feet, and grew on and over the roof over our back stairs. It got a little blackspot occasionally, but was basically healthy, and bloomed in flushes all Summer. Suddenly about a month ago it started to die, starting with the tips on all of the branches on one side, then it moved to the other side, until all of it was dead. No weird growth, no symptoms I could see at all except green leaves & branches getting dead rapidly. It may sound like a gopher got it, but we have lived here 25 years, and have never seen a gopher, or any evidence of one, and none of my neighbors have ever seen any either.

There were only two things that were different around that rose in the last couple of years versus the rest of its life:

1) we took out a huge (4 ft high by 3 ft wide in all directions) old jade plant that had been growing next to it (the jade plant was there before the rose) last Spring when it suddenly collapsed, and on examination, the base of it was all rotted.

2) I grew a clematis up a small trellis right next to the rose, and the clematis was touching the rose, but only in the first 6 feet, where there were hardly any leaves or anything. The clematis had powdery mildew most of the time.

Could this be canker? It is possible that some of the canes had marks on them - my DH was the one who got up on the ladder to prune it, and he is not very observant vis a vis plants. I did look when it started to die, but by then about 1/3rd of it was dead, so perhaps any marks were not visible anymore.

There is a tiny polyantha which has been growing about 2 feet away from the base of the dead rose since last Spring, and it still looks great.

We pruned the clematis back to about 2 feet yesterday, and cut the dead rose down, and tomorrow my DH is going to dig up the stump. My plan is to just add a bunch of compost & mulch to that area, and let it sit until next Spring, when I want to plant a Reve d'OR there.

Question - is there anything else I should be doing other than spraying the little polyantha and the remaining clematis with fungicide? Is there anything I could put in the soil?

It was almost frightening to watch the speed with which the old GS died - any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks -

Jackie

Comments (15)