SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Zelkova for Backyard shade & climbing?

drrich2
10 years ago

Hi:

Zone 6b, southwestern KY near border with TN. Hot summers (some mid. 90's to 100 or slightly over), humid, but fairly cold winters (often lows in the 20's, some in the teens).

Considering medium to large long-lived shade tree in backyard. The area gets strong winds part of the year, so don't want a weak-wooded tree. Fast growing would be nice, though; we've got an infant daughter, and maybe if she could climb on it some (or get shade from it) in a decade or so, that'd be nice. The shade part may be more practical, but a tree with long-term climbing potential for a future generation would be nice. Would be planted beside a large wooden swing/play set.

I know of an American Elm, and can see where a 'vase-shaped' form where the trunk splits into large branches/sub-trunks not too high up could make a climbing tree. But Dutch Elm Disease rules that out.

I see a couple of potential problems with Zelkova.

1.) Dutch Elm Disease resistant, but not wholly immune. So, what am I to make of that?

2.) Foliage eaten by Japanese beetles. That could be very bad. Around here, some plants they damage but not real badly (e.g.: crape myrtle, roses, plum trees, blackberry vines) & some they will annihilate (e.g.: purpleleaf sandcherry). While a plant is young Bayer Advanced can solve the problem, but not so much when the tree is large.

Our total lot is 1.4 acres, & other trees at varied places include 2 ginkgos, 1 swamp white oak, 1 nutall oak, 2 pecan trees, 1 wildfire blackgum, 1 tulip poplar, 1 (green?) ash (I did not plant it!), some maples (red or sugar out front; some root girdling, here when we moved in), 1 Golden Hinoki False Cypress and some smaller plants but I've listed the big ones.

So we've got some oak, maple & ginkgo. Is Zelkova a good choice, or should I be looking at something else?

Richard.

P.S.: Was considering a Golden Raintree, but the Zelkova would get more the size I'd prefer, and I can put the GRT elsewhere.

Comments (6)