SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katielovesdogs

need ideas for a 40'X30' backyard

katielovesdogs
17 years ago

Two and a half years ago, I bought a Queen Anne Victorian house in an urban neighborhood. It's not as ornate as some QAs, and it has some arts and crafts influences. The backyard is small, although not as small as many urban spaces. It's about 40' wide and 30' long. I put in some beds over the past two years, including digging out a cement parking pad that was just below the surface of about 20% of the lawn. I immediately put in some beds so that I could propagate plants that I moved from my old garden and so that I could buy some pricier plants to propagate. I planted them in lazagna beds made with leaf mold and horse poo/sawdust. They have grown quite rapidly. I want to use these plants as the basis for my new garden.

This summer will be the year of the backyard. I am looking for good ideas as I develop the design for the backyard. The yard is on the west side of the house and gets afternoon sun. As I look out my back door, I see my neighbor's tall privacy fence on the right, a garage in the back nearly runs the length of the back (32' of 40'), and my picket fence on the left. On the other side of the fence is an alley. I can see my neighbor's privacy fence on the other side of the alley, but she has nice plantings in front of and climbing the fence. I have most of the common perennials for zone 5/6 (monarda, climbing roses, coneflower, rudbeckia hirta, lamb's ear, daylilies, phlox, coreopsis, yarrow, balloon flower, daisies, etc).

I'm going to have to do some major renovation of the yard. The previous owners put in a patio, but they dug down too much and didn't put in any gravel for drainage, so my patio floods during heavy rains and has standing water for several hours. I'm going to have to regrade that part of the yard. The lawn is also almost all weeds. I will kill the lawn and reseed. I like to have a little lawn because I have dogs and they need a place to do their business.

Since I am going to have to redo so much of the yard, I am willing to really rethink what I have. I would love any ideas that you might be willing to share. I would especially like to see picture of what you or your friends have done in your own small backyards. I teach, so I have summers more or less free, so I can take on some big projects if I am inspired.

Thanks for your ideas!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored