SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baseballlifeandbooks

Need Help with Design / Landscaping Ideas for near 1.5 acre backyard!

Rob S
2 years ago

We need help thinking how to tie this backyard together and make it feel like one, cohesive outdoor space. We are blessed that the property is nearly 2 acres in total but about 1/2 - 3/4 is the front yard and house - the rest is the back yard which I would say is divided into 4 separate "zones":

1. The immediate (small-ish) backyard that connects to the main house "L shape" (it's the small rectangle that is immediately connected to the house and extension). It's where we envision letting our dogs out and maybe having a garden pergola (for outdoor dining). This rectangular yard is at the lowest elevation (by about 1-2" feet)- you can see how it steps up to the pool area.

2. The pool area - this is the largest "feature" in the backyard, clearly. We are thinking of german schmearing all of the brick (inclusive of the columns) so that the "white" pops better with the black railing and also are refinishing the pool lining (since it's almost 10 years old now) to better match the white or off white surround that will be there. That shed is actually an outdoor bar area so that will be renovated to be updated. But the pool is surrounded by those columns/black gate so it makes a clear "divide" between the yard space.

3. There is a decent sized yard directly behind the pool. It is largely even with the pool, elevation wise (maybe a step down) -- and about 50 x 50" or so (shaped somewhat like a triangle for usable, flat yard space). I love how it's all surrounded by trees for privacy but it's separated from the other sections of the yard and feels like an underutilized space. (Note the kids play set is being removed so it will be gone).

4. The fourth and final section of the yard is actually completely elevated from the other 3 sections -- it's about 15" above the rest of the yard (see photos) and is about 30" wide x 50" long. Since its elevated, it gets good sun and I thought this could be entirely a raised garden bed area? Or maybe it's just a nice elevated, flat yard that folks play catch on...

The main issue for us is making this yard feel cohesive and "one". We don't have a budget per se in mind but I'd like to stay around $50,000 if at all possible (could go higher if someone has an amazing idea that would also add significant value to the house).

Welcome any ideas here! Thank you in advance

This is the small yard directly connected to the house (Section 1)

Here is the view from Section 1 to the pool (Section 2)

This is the fenced pool area that connects to the Section 1 yard

Here is the pool area but you can also see Section 3 behind it (where the kids playset is beyond the gated fence)

Here is Section 4 - the very elevated (but flat) yard portion (Section 4)

Thought this would be helpful -- here is the satellite view of the backyard -- split into the 4 Sections I mentioned before. Note the metal bunker looking thing in the far left hand upper corner (above Section 3) is actually an old airplane hanger... I'm thinking of making that a man cave for ATVs or if I run electrical there, making it an actual hang out man cave. But TBD - first things first is the landscaping for the rest of the yard to make my wife happy!

Thanks all

Comments (8)