SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
destany_gw

backyard landscape design?

destany
14 years ago

Hello, I'm hoping to get some feedback about my backyard landscaping. I've got some elements already, but I'm a bit blocked on how to "finish" it. I'm sorry if this gets long...

We moved in last fall, the back slope was over run with weeds. We cut it all down, and installed the timber retaining wall and the garden pond.

We put off the landscaping for a year, to see what might come up in this area all on it's own - we found the back right corner is covered in very nice ivy, some daffodiles and hyacinth in the spring, and some tiger lilies along the back fence this summer. Nothing else though, and it's time to start planning the landscaping for next spring.

I'm daunted. In the first place, I can't decide on a style. I want to stay away from tropicals, as it's a lot of work in the fall and I feel they would look out of place in my temperate zone (Northern Missouri). I love roses and hydrangeas and big blooming things, but I feel like that could look too stodgy and formal for a back yard equipped with tree swings and baseball equipment (I have 4 children).

I love my state, it's beautiful and I'm quite fond of the idea of growing native. But I worry that it could turn out to look really weedy and nice native plants can be hard to come by - not to mention expensive. I want the area to look beautiful and impressive, but it has to be thrifty and easy to maintain as well. I know I'm asking a lot.

There are also structural obstacles to be accounted for. The hideous chain link fence back drop makes me cringe. Unfortunately, it is owned by the woman in that yellow house that you see, as is 3 feet of the property on this side of the fence. If it gets too overgrown, she will send some one over to cut everything down... I need to plant something in front of the fence to obscure it, but it can't "grow over" the fence or into the fenceline.

The area is also sloped, as you can see, and I have to be mindful of runoff and erosion.

That is a marble table top next to the pond, we put it there to set chairs on and because we had no place for it... but it's far too small, out of proportion and badly shaped for the spot. It's only temporary until we figure out something better.

The retaining wall looks precarious, trust me, it's fully secure, and I plan to put in 2 smallish trees (perhaps cherry - do they stay smallish?) on either side, just in front of the wall to frame that space and turn it into a shade bed as well as provide shade for the pond area which is in full sun all day. Again, I'm back to style conflicts for choice of plants to go into the raised bed, or what type of trees to put in front of the wall.

I'm still at a loss for the back right corner where the ivy is growing (in the first photo). It's just empty to me and needs a structure, but I have no idea what sort.

If you have any ideas on plants/style/structure/layout, etc. I'd be extremely pleased to hear them!

Here's the photos.

Slope is covered in ivy and weeds, springs up some daffodiles and hyacinths in the spring.

{{gwi:40114}}

Retaining wall is tethered to 10' long steel poles, I plan to put 2 small flowering trees just in front, on each end.

{{gwi:40115}}

View of the pond from the back patio.

{{gwi:40116}}

I think this table top looks silly. I'm unsure the best size, shape or materials for a proper seating area.

{{gwi:40118}}

Other neighbors fence that needs to be masked in some way.

{{gwi:40120}}

Thank you for looking, I appreciate any input!

Comments (21)