SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bakaroni

Backyard landscape designs: need input

bakaroni
14 years ago

Hello,

We've come up with 3 designs for our backyard that incorporates some existing elements and creates new ones. Our goal is aesthetic and functional. The existing elements are: the sun room, a pear tree and a champaka tree. Besides these, the rest of the area is now covered by a lawn, which we want to get rid of.

In terms of the aesthetics, we're not particular about a specific style, but would like the overall look to be harmonious.

As for the functional, we would like a patio, a little more privacy, and have enough space to grow ornamental plants, vegetables and herbs. Besides this, we need to provide adequate drainage as we're dealing with some mild drainage issues around the house during the winter rains here in northern California.

All the enclosed designs are to scale. Each square in the photos represents 2'x2'.

Here's design #1:

{{gwi:48258}}
- the patio will be mortared slate pavers. Large squares blocks of about 18" each side. They'll be aligned along the horizontal and vertical axes, and not diagonal as shown in the design.

- A curved retaining wall for aesthetics and for creating a raised bed along the fence. The wall will be made of blocks from Lowe's with a flat top to sit on. It will be about 1.5-2' high.

- along the patio will be a French drain/ditch about 4-5' deep to collect water run-off from patio, covered with soil with flagstones strewn about. We're considering flowering ground cover between the flagstones.

- 3 vegetable and herb patches.

- A brick walkway. This will not be mortared, but set in sand.

- an arbor against the back wall to grow grapes on.

- another arbor between one end of the retaining wall and the sun-room. We'll either grow grapes or a flowering vine (like wisteria) on this one.

The next 2 photos are variations on the same theme, so I won't explain them.

Design #2:

{{gwi:48259}}

Design #3:

{{gwi:48260}}

I would like to solicit feedback on these designs. In particular, I have the following questions/considerations:

- Given that the arbor between the patio and the walkway will be close to the French drain, should that influence the choice of vine to grow there? Would a grape-vine survive in winter when we get all our rain?

- We considered a pergola/arbor to cover the entire patio, but that would be expensive and complicated. The question is: would it be worth the trouble? How far apart should the vertical poles have to be (if they were 4"x4" wood)?

- I would like to reduce the area of the patio so that it gives me more room to grow vegetables, flowers, etc. But I've been told by 2-3 people that for aesthetic reasons the patio should line up with the sun-room. Only design 1 conforms to that. I'm cheating a bit with design 2 and 3 by creating a 6' wide part of patio to align with the width of sun-room. Anybody have any comments on this?

Thanks much in advance. I've learnt a lot from this and other gardenweb forms.

Comments (5)