SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cardwellave

Starting a garden in a densely shady backyard

cardwellave
12 years ago

Hey all. Purchased my house one year ago and I would like to start tackling my back yard. The neighbors are all rude and commenting on it "do you want me to cut your weeds?" etc. I have really gotten into gardening out front but the back is so much shade, I don't even have grass. I really do avoid cutting much back there due to the fact that there was at one point and I believe there still is poison ivy back there. I really have no idea how to go about starting to tear into this mess!

I have eight trees. The one by the driveway is a golden raintree, the one in the middle of the yard is a horsechestnut, the one off by the fence by the house is a maple, and the other 5 are all evergreens (the ones in back are the long needle pines). Lots of shade, lots of needles, lote of leaves, lots of nitrogen. Some areas seem to get filtered sun. I would love to have less but I don't have the money to have them removed and ultimately I do like the trees and would hate to kill such a large living thing.

I would love to do stuff all around the borders and by the garage I would like to have a place to put another car. I had a thought of growing morning glories on the fence to the dumb neighbors couldnt comment on the yard as much but I figured they'd probably pull them down or Roundup them...and with the shade I'm not sure how they'd grow anyway.

Obviously theres some interesting shade plants out there but if anyone has any good ideas or has some great shade gardens feel free to share! My house was the only one on the block when the previous owners moved in and they sold off the land to all the houses around them. The size is good and I would love to start enjoying my yard!

{{gwi:685609}}

Golden raintree

{{gwi:685610}}

Poison ivy?

{{gwi:685611}}

{{gwi:685612}}

{{gwi:685613}}

{{gwi:685614}}

What used to be a garden? Looks like daylilies and there were muscari here in the spring.

{{gwi:685615}}

Almost looks pretty.

{{gwi:685617}}

{{gwi:685618}}

I think these floppy shrubs are spirea. They don't flower densely...maybe because of the shade.

{{gwi:685619}}

I want to do some sort of patio alongside near the fence. Evetually would like to replace that fence with white picket.

{{gwi:685620}}

Same with this fence and gate. Oh and doesn't the beautybush look great? It's so messy though.

Comments (28)

Sponsored