SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ga99

shady backyard with drainage issues

ga99
6 years ago

We did the backyard a few years ago. It immediately started dying after the HOA had a hornets nest removed improperly and a lot of insecticide was dumped on the lawn. We have a dog now and we can tell the zoysia will not even come back at all (The pic is several years old. Imagine weeds and dirt now). So we know now that zoysia is out. The yard is very shaded and has some drainage issue right down the middle of the yard creating issues because we don't want to put any sort of river bed or anything that would break up the yard. I need as much "grass" area as possible for the dog to play in.

I need a fix now. The trees are dropping stuff constantly and the dog is coming in with dirt and mud.

My concerns and questions:

If we stayed with grass what would we try?

Fescue seed takes too long to grow in especially with the dog on it. A neighbor suggested fescue sod then immediately start to seed it to keep the cost down. I considered St Augustine which I am not sure even does well in this area (Zone 7-Atlanta area). I thought about doing st augustine with the fescue seed.

I also don't want to use any chemicals because of the dog. So anything would have to be organic. I have noticed since we have weeds now that wasps are attracted to the clover that is coming up which is a big concern. So any grass we install would probably end up with weeds.

Artificial Turf?

The other major consideration is artificial turf. It is a small area (450 sq ft) that needs grass. I cannot get anyone to contact me back. I started researching in Feb. I have had only 2 companies come out and both have given totally different recommendations. One did not listen to what I wanted at all and said the area would have to drain down to the current drain and gave all sorts of ideas on plants. The other said she could provide what I want which is to flatten out the yard. Frankly, not sure if I believe that can be done. I just hate to spend $5000 plus and it not work.

I am not a gardener and I need it simple so the dog doesn't destroy it. I just don't know what to do but cannot live like it is now. Help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting