SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

questions about ordering older roses for the first time

aimeekitty
14 years ago

Hi ya'll,

I've been searching your posts for roses that would be tolerant and healthy in my area and been admiring a lot of different roses! Thanks for all the help you've given me already.

and was thinking about ordering from: http://rosesunlimitedownroot.com/

since they had most of the varieties I was interested in.

Is that good? or are there other places I should consider?

About how long would it take to get the roses typically?

I'm still in the planning stages right now, especially for the back yard (the front yard I could plant now...) but if it takes a long time to get the roses, I may want to order a few sooner rather than later so I can plant this fall.

I'm considering a morning sun spot (backyard with fences) that gets 6+ hours of sun (a couple climbers for the fence, perhaps, and a couple shrubs)

and also a afternoon sun spot (sunny) (front yard with porch) (1 climber and a couple shrubs)

and I live in zone 9-10 near the antelope valley (southern california). Zone 18 according to Sunset Western

Prefer reblooming fragrant flowers.

I'm a beginner!

Some ones I was considering were:

Compte de Chambord

Jude the Obscure (for fragrance)

Duchesse de Brabant (possibly to go as a shrub in the front with cl. Eden?)

cl. Eden (my current favorite climber on the list,... for front porch)

Reine des Violettes (possibly front with Eden and DdB)

cl Crepuscule

Reve dOr

Mrs. B. R. Cant

The Dark Lady

cl Renae

Cl. Lady Hillingdon

Crepuscule

cl Lady Banks (back fence?)

Tiffany (for sentimental reasons)

cl Madame Alfred Carriere (only for a large fence position in the back as I heard it can get really big...)

Comments (23)

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good that you are doing your homework! I've had very good healthy roses from Roses Unlimited, and have a Spring order with them, in fact. The only rose on your list that I've had personal experience with is Jude The Obscure. I recently tossed it, as it was blackspot prone here, and not at all good as a cut flower, as it shattered so fast for me. I just got Reine des Violettes, and expect to love this rose. I have Renae in one of my Spring orders, and just have my fingers crossed that she'll be hardy here.
    LOVE the photos of her! Keep up your good work. I've found it's trial and error with roses. Some do great in one location and lousy in another. Lots of good info here on Garden Web, and lots to learn! Happy Autumn! Barb

• paparoseman
    14 years ago

If the rose is in stock they ship it on Monday and it will arrive on your front porch on Thursday, possibly Wednesday. When I ordered from them the roses crossed the check for them in the mail.

Lady Banks will grow very large but is as fool proof as possible. Most of the roses you named will do great were you are. Jude has a heavenly fragrance and does blow fast but the blooms come in big flushes. It will grow large in your zone, mine is 8 feet tall in the fall.

If nothing else check out Vintage Gardens to see if there is anything else you really need. They have growth diagrams for the various classes of roses so you can find out if a roses will be what you are looking for size wise.

Lance

• Related Discussions

Palatine-first time order

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Nancy, Placed my first order to Palatine a few weeks ago. Decided to give them a try after hearing so many nice comments about the big & healthy roses they send. Also their roses are on 'multiflora' root stock & that seems to do better in my acid soils. I ordered: Double Delight Folklore Goldsmith (Helmut Schmidt) Parole Stephen's Big Purple Now if it'll just stop snowing & spring comes.............. Larry
    ...See More

Question about Hydrangea blooming for first time

Q

Comments (7)
    GardenGal I owe you an apology for doubting you when I was convinced it was a hydrangea! After you said that I looked it up and really really investigated and figured out you are right. It was getting dark last night when I first really started looking and took that last pic and the more I looked today the more I realized it is all the same plant and probably blackberry. I had researched and researched Hydrangeas trying to figure out exactly what kind it was and in my defense the leaves do look a lot similar, especially the really big ones. They are shaped almost the same with the same serrated edges and have a lot of the same characteristics such as both have blooms that grow on the branches from the year before. I did know that something just didn't seen quite right though because the leaves are all in groups of three and I couldn't find any pics of hydrangeas like that and my grannys isn't like that when I looked last weekend. I just cant imagine what happened. I took a piece straight from my grannys plant and put it there. I was just at her house this past weekend and cleaning up around hers and I noticed that hers looked a different but still quite similar in the leaves themselves but not the groupings (3-5-7-etc). Only thing I can think is maybe the transplant didn't survive and there just happened to be a blackberry growing in that same spot (like I said I planted it when we first bought the house) or the blackberry killed out the hydrangea. Regardless I am just gonna see what the blackberry does this year and then probably dig it up...at least I will have some berries Lol. I also went today and bought a Hydrangea...big and fluffy and Pink!!! :) Thanks for your help...this has been a funny adventure and I feel kinda silly but I learned something so that's all that matters. I am planting my 20x20 veggie garden tomorrow....but I know my veggies, just not so much flowers Lol!
    ...See More

Question about timing of cabinet order

Q

Comments (12)
    Here's a vote for "it depends". I have a very small, very old house that is full of surprises. My cabinets are truly custom, as in made by a local cabinet maker. Otherwise, the number of 1-inch fillers would outnumber the inches of cabinets! I could not imagine having the cabinet maker in to measure until the demo was done, the surprises were rectified and everything was in place. And there were a few small surprises and changes. So for me it was really worth it to wait. I would hate to have a cabinet order sitting there and have some of them not fit, then have to figure out what to do. But then I'm not sitting here with six dusty, crying kids and a husband threatening divorce if I feed him pizza again. And my contractor has several other things he can do around my house, so I won't lose him while he waits. And some cabinet lines will get your cabinets there in 2-4 weeks. So weight up how desperate you are to get this finished, how long the lag time is, how many surprises you anticipate, your family's tolerance, your contractor's patience to stay focused on your project etc. and then decide.
    ...See More

Ordering from BloomLovers for the first time

Q

Comments (25)
    It takes a while for posts to show up. I just saw the two posts above. thanks for the tips on the EBay vendors. As for the potting medium for Optimara, here is an older post from Nancy Robateille: "Soil from violets purchased in stores is usually pure peat moss which holds too much water. You need a mix of 1-1-1 ratio meaning one part vermiculite, one part peat moss and one part perlite. Many growers make their own soil less mix using this formula. If you cannot find all the components, add vermiculite or perlite to African violet mix. Let the plant dry out somewhat then scratch off as much of this soil from the plant. Place the rootball in fresh soil less mix and water from the bottom until the mix is thoroughly damp. By the way, peat moss should be dampened before use or it will continue to dry out too quickly. " Optimara does not use sludge, to my knowledge, which is sewage. Whatever they use, there is no odor. It seems to be sterile. I learned a lot by reading older posts. I normally don't repot until the plant stops blooming, but after reading recent posts from Diana and others, I will start to repot O plants once I first get them home. Diana, thanks for info on spectracide, repotting and for identifying Chico. And for more tips on BloomLovers. Chico seems to be what is in my local store now! Agreed, about supply and demand. A few years ago, prices began to climb and availability declined.
    ...See More
  • cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

You've got a very good list. I don't know how well the Austins or the Hybrid Perpetuals/Portlands will do in your area, but the best way to find out is to grow them. My experience is in Sacramento, zone 14. The Dark Lady will probably do better in your morning sun spot, since dark red roses scorch.

Another couple of Hybrid Perpetual possibilities. I have seen Sydonie in the Stagecoach Inn garden in Ventura, and it's a winner. So, that's an alternative to Comte de Chambord. Another fragrant, pink rose that blooms very prolifically in California is Grandmother's Hat. Vintage Gardens has it in stock.

Reine de Violettes has been a poor performer in the Sacramento cemetery garden but it may be a function of the plant that we have.

I have no experience ordering from Roses Unlimited - have gotten all of mine from West Coast sources, some of which are now gone. I think they are quite reliable.
    Anita

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

RU is wonderful, selling very large plants that are healthy at a very reasonable price. They would be my choice because of the size of the plant. They ship whenever you want. Your rose list is lovely - lots of BIG climbers.

Sherry

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

I think given that you are in SoCal, shipping costs would be a bit expensive. You could consider instead
    Vintage - www.vintagegardens.com (they are in NorCal)
    Rogue Valley Roses - www.roguevalleyroses.com (Oregon)

I am sure you would save on shipping, and both of these are good vendors, too.

Masha

• rosefolly
    14 years ago

I'm in the Bay Area near San Jose, not quite the same climate as yours, Sunset zone 16 rather than zone 18. I rarely order from Roses Unlimited since I tend to stick with western growers when I can, but the one time I did, both rose and service were excellent. If I lived in the east I imagine I would order from them more frequently.

I have grown some of the roses on your list and thought I would make some comments.

Compte de Chambord - did not do well for me, but it may have been the clone. I just got it again from a different source to see how it turns out this time.

Duchesse de Brabant - this got considerably bigger than my reading lead me expect. It also got PM here, but then many chinas and teas get bad PM in my garden. It is not a universal problem, and you may be fine. It is well worth trying

Cl. Eden (aka Pierre de Ronsard) - until he discovered Austin's Leander in a friend's garden and the gallica Tuscany Superb in another friend's garden, this was my husband Tom's favorite rose. You do know that it has no scent? It tends to get rust in the fall but is so handsome and so healthy through the rest of the year that I have kept it. Young plants often do not repeat well, if at all. Be patient; it may take several years to realize its potential. When it does, you will be glad you waited. Also, while it is called a climber, its form is more like a big, big shrub. I grow it as a shrub and like it that way. It can be trained to be a climber but I believe it is the kind that builds on last year's growth, not the kind that throws out long canes from the base each year.

Reine des Violettes - this rose struggles in my garden. I keep it because I loved the way it looked in a friend's garden, but I'm thinking of trying it in a different spot.

Cl Crepuscule /Crepuscule - to the best of my knowledge, these are the same rose, a big Tea Noisette. I admire it greatly, even though mine is a puny shrimp that has never grown past my knees. I plan to replace mine with a more vigorous clone. Unfortunately, I've had mine so long I no longer remember where I bought it. Let me know how yours does. I'm pretty sure I did not get it from Rose Unlimited, so that would be a safely different source.

Reve dOr - another big Tea Noisette, healthy as a horse but not somehow a favorite of mine.

Mrs. B. R. Cant - big, airy shrub, as in really big. Healthy other than powdery mildew, but I eventually removed it. It took up way too much space for a rose I could not smell. I am one of the people who cannot smell Tea rose scent, so all the fragrant Teas are pretty much wasted on my nose.

Cl. Lady Hillingdon - I am just trying this one again after an earlier plant had an unfortunate accident. I'd really love to have this climbing my back fence. It can be stunning.

Madame Alfred Carriere - this rose will be enormous. You could hide a small garage with it. It was another that I could not smell, and got PM here. Neither of these issues may be a problem for you, so please do not hesitate giving them a try.

The other roses you are considering are roses I have not grown here. I have considered Lady Banks a number of times, but somehow have never made the commitment.

May I make a suggestion? Keep a list not only of the roses that you buy, but also where you bought them. That way if you ever decide to replace a rose with a different clone of the same variety, you'll know where not to go. I know where I bought all the roses that entered my garden over the past five or six years, but I'm very fuzzy on where roses from ten or twelve years ago came from. As with Anita, I would have to say that a few of them came from vendors which are no longer in business, or those like Heirloom which have cut way back on their old rose inventory.

Rosefolly

• jacqueline9CA
    14 years ago

Good list! You should definitely check out Vintage Garden's website, if for nothing else than their great info on the growth habits of roses, and wonderful newsletters.

Presume you are also looking at Help Me Find Roses - if not, go there immediately - contains pictures of roses, as well as much info. All you need is the name of the rose.

If you are looking at English or East Coast written rose books, you need to realized that their opinions of how big roses grow can be off (too small) by 50% to 200%. I have banksie lutea (Yellow Lady Banks) on my house, and it has grown up the three stories to the roof. One year it even got under the eaves, went THROUGH the roof, came out the top, and bloomed! However, it is thornless and easy to train and to prune - nice flexible canes, so don't be afraid of it.

Good Luck with your endeavors - if you get own root roses, give them 2-3 years before you make any decisions about them - they start out more slowly, but then are better (no suckers to worry about), and live MUCH longer than grafted roses.

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Comte de Chambord is excellent here. Once it is completely establised (3 years+) don't be afraid to hard prune it. A fine list. Jude The Obscure has a superb fragrance, but it needed years to develop good rebloom here. Still worth having, it's a beauty. Watch for rust on Eden, but it should do well for you otherwise.

I would skip Lady Banks unless you have acreage, or a detached two car garage that needs to be completely covered several feet deep in plant material, or if you like to prune on a daily basis.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the great information and suggestions!! Really really helpful!
    Thanks also for the info about ownroot stuff. All this grafted and own root stuff is a little confusing to a newbie like me. Regarding cl. Eden, I love how this flower shape and color looks so much:
    http://www.worldrose.org/awards/hof/pierrederonsard.asp
    http://www.rose-gardening-made-easy.com/images/IMG_1171.jpg
    http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_430xN.57904652.jpg

that I don't mind that it doesn't have scent? (some people say it smells some... I guess I won't know till I get it?) Unless someone can recommend a rose with a similar bloom that would be tolerant to my area and mostly thornless?
    (is Austin's Leander something I should consider instead?)
    I was hoping I could put some more fragrant roses in front of it (shrubs) for the front yard.

I'd like to screen my backyard a bit from seeing my neighbors back yard, so I was thinking a couple "larger" roses would be good for that growing up a wall. I can't get all of these though, they'd probably take over my yard. haha....

I'm greatly enjoying looking at Vintage Garden's website, though they don't have some of the varieties I was looking for. I guess I could order from multiple places once I decide on a final list if I have to! (also enjoying Help Me Find, too! and just generally google-searching roses)

cemeteryrose - thankyou for the rec re: Sydonie and Grandmother's Hat, I like both of those!

Jackie - I did notice that some roses were listed as like 4 feet tall on certain websites, but then a SoCal grower would list them as being like 8 feet tall! ha ha...

----
    Much thanks about Lady Banks, I've always thought it was charming in other people's gardens. I know it gets huge... so I was afraid of it, but if it's easier to prune, then it might be fine, especially since I plan on putting it somewhere with room to grow. I'll think about it. That one and Mme Alfred seem like they get really huge, so I'll have to consider whether I really truly have room for them or not.

are there some smaller climbers in the light pink, white or peachy range I should be looking at for this heat zone?
    ----

rosefolly, thanks for the detailed info! I figured with most but the most vigorous, I'd have to wait a couple years for them to be really gorgeous. Which is part of the reason why I'm feeling a bit impatient now to order things... heeee. :)

I'll definitely make a list of roses I get and from where, (to save for later) thankyou! I'd heard a bit on the forums about how it makes a difference sometimes.

----------------------
    My thought was, after considering a bit...

FRONT YARD: (western facing, afternoon sun) front porch and front yard)
    Use Cl. Eden to climb up the front porch. (3, one for each pillar)
    Compte de Chambord, (2 or 3?) to use as a small/medium shrub rose in front of cl. Eden... if I'd rather have more than one variety, then get one Compte de Chambord, and one Sydonie...?
    Then along with that, 1 Reine des Violettes bush near the back/side ... so it can get a little large if it wants to. Put some sage and/or lavendar with the roses.

BACK YARD: (morning sun, eastern facing)
    growing on the side walls and back fence, to have a few larger climbers.
    Thoughts would be to use cl. Renae, Lady Banks and/or cl. Reve dOr, for the screening/larger climbers.

then one each of The Dark Lady, Grandmother's Hat, Jude the Obscure, Duchesse de Brabant and can be more in front of those mixed with lavendar, sage, penstemon, salvia, etc...?

I was also curious about Mme. Pierre Oger and Mme. Caroline Testout...!

Much thanks!

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I'll add my comments to this lively mix.
    Obviously Rosefolly and I have different kinds of noses, because 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' and 'Mme. Alfred Carrière' are decidedly fragrant for me. Whether they will be for you depends on YOUR nose.
    If you live in an area where warm climate roses get large, and it sounds like you do, be aware that many of your proposed roses will be gigantic. 'Crépuscule' (there's only the climber, so you don't add 'Cl.', which is used to designate the climbing sport of a shrub rose), any of the Lady Banks roses (there are four forms in commerce) are both great big roses for me. I trust Jacqueline's judgement on 'Mme. Alfred Carrière', and going on my experience with other Tea-Noisettes, would expect 'Rève d'Or' to become very large as well. 'Very large' means 10'x20' and more once the roses get going; the Lady Banks roses get to 30' and more. These are not roses to fit into tightly planned spaces.
    Jacqueline is correct that many catalogs drastically underestimate the mature sizes of warm climate roses. Many Teas, Chinas, and Noisettes get to be great big hefty plants; it's wonderful, but you need to plan for it. 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' is about 7'x7' in my garden. Personally I adore roses that get huge, but I do have a lot of space.
    Especially in the case of the climbers, give them time to get going. Mine took about three years before they began to make a respectable show, but they continued to get bigger after that. Don't rely on pruning to keep the big climbers in bounds: they grow too fast and too vigorously.
    About smaller climbers: how do Hybrid Musks do in your area? Roses like 'Cornelia', 'Pax', and 'Moonlight' (there are many others) are in your color range, are fragrant and reblooming, are fine handsome plants, easy to grow, and they are excellent climbers that don't get as big as the Noisettes. In very hot sunny zones they'll probably do better in part shade and with some protection from blasting winds.
    Good luck with your project!
    Melissa

• sergeantcuff
    14 years ago

I received an email from Vintage a few days ago alerting me that were releasing a new list of roses on October 15. Some will not be available for shipping until the Spring, though. Although I am on the East Coast, I love Vintage.

• jacqueline9CA
    14 years ago

Random thoughts re smaller climbers for warm climates:

1) light pink, buff, peachy - the tea rose Anna Olivier is gorgeous - normally it is pinkish buff, with a brick dark pink reverse on the petals, but it can also be all pale pink or all pale yellow, depending on the weather. Blooms continuously from March to November here if deadheaded. I have one growing up the South wall of my house, and it is very easy to keep it at about 8-9 feet tall, and only 18 inches deep (it is next to the driveway). Make sure you get the real one - Vintage has it.

2) Hybrid Musk rose Pax - one of my very favorite roses. Likes warm climate. Blossoms are only barely double, a soft buttery white - hard to describe. Ours thrived in partial shade, and climbed up the house slowly to about 15 feet, but you could easily keep it shorter.

3) Madam Caroline Testout is an old famous hybrid tea. Gorgeous fully double spherical luxurious pink blooms. Buds are huge and FAT. Mine is the climber - it climbs about 10-12 feet up the wall of my house. Blooms all summer & Fall if deadheaded. Healthy here (I never spray anything).

Jackie

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

if this helps at all, this is kinda what I'm thinking of doing:
    {{gwi:320092}}

each square is about one foot. I'm not set on the layout yet (just a dirt yard right now, so I might change the shape of the yard or the trees, etc...)

But I'm guessing that at the #4 spot I have enough room for a decent sized climber? Maybe not Lady Banks though, huh? 30 feet might be too big. But maybe 15-20 might be fine? It's ok if it grows all the way down the fence if it wants to, as long as it doesn't grow too busy making the fence too huge? (if that makes sense?) I really love a big rose, but I want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head. hehe...

The shadiest part of the yard is the #0 position (near #1), but the whole yard is eastern/morning sun. The back of the yard (near the #4 position gets sun most of the day (over 8 hours of sun) not getting shaded by the house till about 4 or 5 pm.

I guess if the colors are Jude's kinda peachy yellow, the light pink of Grandmother's Hat, and the darker pink of Pink Lady... and then maybe I'll have some penstemon in pinks and some daisy-like flowers in white and/or yellow.

So I'm not sure if it matters too much what color the #4 climber is...?

I might be able to put another climber at the #9 position, since I'd like to block off the view of my neighbors about there.
    I'm not nessesarily set on the specific roses I put in here,... they're just ideas, really.

I dunno! this is all pretty new to me! but maybe you can get a better idea of my yard size/conditions now?

and wow, thanks so much for the thought-out responses,... I really appreciate it. It's fun to look up the rose and consider possibilities.

Oct 15th is only 2 days away, so I can definitely wait until then. :)

It's too bad that it's not really rose season, otherwise I'd go out to Huntington Gardens and see if any of the rose I'm interested are/were blooming there. (I don't think they would be this time of year though, huh?) It'd be nice to see them in person and smell them.

I like M Caroline Testout a lot! I didn't realize you could use it as a climber, but if it's large and stretches out, it probably doesn't matter much either way, as what I'd need it to do, would be to be tall, and be trained to the fence/wall. Anna Olivier is really pretty, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

How about 'Crépuscule' in your #4 position? It's a fine leafy rose; a good blocker. Mine is in a northeast position, and while it would probably bloom more with more sun, it grows well and the flowers are lovely. The flowers are apricot, and there's lots of luxuriant, handsome green. 'Crépuscule' has flexible, not excessively thorny canes: I have mine trained along a wall.
    How sunny is your #9 spot? If it bakes, then you might look for another kind of rose, but the dimensions are right for a Hybrid Musk, and they're some of the most beautiful roses around, for my taste. I agree 'Pax' is beautiful; I particularly love 'Cornelia', which lends itself very well to trellising; and another lovely, 'Francesca', might work trained this way as well. 'Cornelia' is strawberry pink, paler in the heat of summer; 'Francesca' is a buffy yellow with a strong look of Tea rose to her blooms. All these roses are fragrant and have very fine foliage.
    Melissa

• cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

Cl. Mme. Caroline Testout has very stout, thorny (great big sharp prickles), quite stiff canes. It would be great espaliered against a fence, but would not be my choice to try to train over an arbor. I always feel a bit guilty when I ask our volunteers to work on it because it's so fiercely armed. The cemetery's climbing form doesn't repeat nearly as well as the bush version. There are definitely two different plants, so don't buy the bush form and expect it to climb.

There are many nice tea-noisettes that are fragrant, repeat, have flexible canes, and lovely flowers. Depends on the color you want. You might want to consider a white one, for the way that light gleams in the evening. Or use Cl. Lady Hillingdon, as you first were thinking. I don't know Cl. Devoniensis, but it's white, a tea, and repeats - might be a good choice.

I love the idea of hot pink - a bold accent is great. You could also go with purple. Purple companion plants are nice,too. I find some of the apricots hard to mix with true pinks.

What's on the other side of your fences? I try to grow roses on a north fence, too, but the neighbor's tree overhangs and they really don't get enough sun. I get a nice first flush and that's about it, but I can live with that.

Anita

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll not try Cl. Mme. Caroline Testout right now then,... I'm a beginner, and I think having stiff canes and big thorns on something I'm trying to train over an arbor (or even a wall) would be hard for me. If I get her, I'll try the bush form and just let it be a bush. Melissa, thanks for more info about training Crepuscule! that sounds pretty good!

considering that I'm using pinks and hot pinks... would Crepuscule match ok...? The pictures I see online vary a lot. Sometimes it looks light yellow, sometimes peachy.
    Or would Cl. Lady Hillingdon be better for #4? I've heard people describe that one as being kindof a glowy light yellow, so that could be really nice with the other colors.
    I suppose I'm leaning away from using a pink climber in the #4 position since I'll have a pink climber on the front porch and a pink sakura tree (though that only blooms spring).

I love sages and such, and I'm definitely going to use some sages and lavendars in the front with cl Eden (and I'm guessing I'll use Duchess de Brabrant under Eden)
    If I have room, maybe I can use some in the back, too?
    Right now I'm a little unclear on how much space there is. It's hard for me to imagine the size of the final roses and whether they'll tolerate some purple and/or yellow flowers growing with them...! a lot of people have had purple clematis growing along with their roses, but I think in this sunny spot that probably wouldnt' work.

I'm lucky in that my neighbors have not done -anything- to their yard yet. There's nothing there but dirt. So I guess I can hope that they won't put a tree there? (or send them a plate of cookies with a request? haa...)
    As of yet, I don't have any neighbors on the south side at all.

#9, I think, in the afternoon is getting shaded by the house. so probably not super scorcher?
    It sounds like based on what you guys said that I could probably use a Hybrid Musk,... sometimes you probably just have to try things, right?

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesgal/msg0709553718638.html
    In this photo, it seems like Jude the Obscure's peachy-ness would be ok with hot pink and/or pink?
    I totally know what you're saying though. I wish, in a way, that roses had fabric swatches. haha.
    would it be ok?

another picture, though I'm not sure which one is Jude:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qoJEtQnJ77k/SXTQum9TXpI/AAAAAAAAAC8/Uff0F7qt8iE/s400/english+rose+bouquet_81506_121.jpg

(from http://jenniferlynking.blogspot.com/2009/01/enduring-cold.html )

• luanne
    14 years ago

Here are my ideas, one picture = many more.
    {{gwi:320093}}

My climber, Harlekin, definitely pink

{{gwi:269334}}

A favorite hybrid musk, The Bishop Darlington

{{gwi:217661}}
    A white climber, Sombreuil, very fragrant and lovely

{{gwi:222081}}

Belle Storey, a favorite pink climber, very fragrant and repeats often 8-10 feet

{{gwi:295514}}
    One of the smaller and very fragrant hybrid musks 3 by 5, Lyda Rose

{{gwi:222080}}

Devoniensis, repeat flowering, wonderfully fragrant climber on the large size

{{gwi:250812}}

Mme. Alfred Carriere grown as a large bush When she gets to 10 feet I cut her back to 4 or 5 and keep her at 6 feet wide. She is fragrant, superb and reblooms continuously although not as splendidly as her Spring bloom.

{{gwi:233714}}
    This is my beloved Reve dOr coveriing my shed, no disease, big favorite
    la

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh my... I think I am in love with "Belle Storey". I think I might have to get that one. So beautiful (and as a sappy lover of Beauty and the Beast, I love the name, too.)

all your photos are so gorgeous, it's a bit hard to even concentrate. R'eve d'Or is so lovely too,... they're all lovely, haha.... I can't stop looking! (is there some place where I can see more photos of your lovely garden?

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

aimeekitty,

Congrats on your new house! I wish I had used climbing roses against the fences when I moved into my first house. It will transform your back yard.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Even tho Kathy's roses are different you can see the structural support she provides.

• luanne
    14 years ago

Here is my share page at Shutterfly.http://luannewilson.shutterfly.com/

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

irisgal, do you mean you wish you had because you'd have bigger plants now...? or did you end up planting something else? :)

Kathy's photos are really informative! I'd temporarily forgotten about the structures needed!
    How can I find pictures of Kathy's roses in bloom to see the before and after...? I think that would be helpful.

luanne - Much thanks!

I think I'm going to sketch up my front yard idea, since it's simpler and send it off to the HOA this week so that I can order at least the ones for the front yard, soon. (YAY!)

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nevermind! I was able to figure out the search, thanks! very useful!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals