SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lagomorphmom

Almost had to cancel my Vintage order...

lagomorphmom
14 years ago

Hi all,

Thought I'd add my thanks for the coming fall weather, not to mention a bit of rain this week. I can now add 'evacuee' (3am) as one of my life experiences, I know many have you have had the same with flooding. The Sheep Fire came within a quarter mile of our mountain place in Wrightwood.

That sounds like a comfortable amount; however, they stopped it at the top of the canyon (started at the bottom and over a bit) just as you enter the pine forest where it would have crowned and we could have lost the whole town. Pretty scary as far as possibly losing the house, but on the plus side we have a very active ham community so communication was awesome. And, thanks to the great planning by the fire chiefs who've scenario'd this event over and over, we had plenty of time to evacuate.

And, I cannot say enough about all the firefighters that came from all over, county, CalFire (including the local work camp trustees that do so much for the community anyway), the Fulton and Stanislaus Hotshots, etc. - for any of you with firefighters in the family, give them a hug from us. The Lions club put on a huge thank you feast for all, many of whom came from duty, still sooty from working the final mop up.

And adding to all the very real trauma was the comparatively trivial thought that I'd have call Gita to cancel my Vintage order since I wouldn't have any place to put them... The things that go through your head, eh?

Here's a couple of pics:

On the way up the canyon - chapparel and manzanita have so much oil that they explode, making the fire even more intense.

{{gwi:319268}}

After:

{{gwi:319269}}

Comments (19)