SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

should i cancel my order of my fl washer --)warning long post!!!

ncage
13 years ago

OK where do I start . My washer broke yesterday. It was pretty minor. The top part of the agitator would not rotate but the bottom part would. This is the second time it has broke in maybe 7 years. First time it was the water pump. I called my local appliance repair place today and they fixed it but for some reason I put got a wild hair and started researching new washer/dryer front loading. Currently have a pretty basic top loading whirlpool set that is about 7 years old. To be honest the only really annoying thing about the set I have is the dryer doesn�t have a buzzer but the washer does.

Of Course I know there are some bad to front loaders. Some people report mold/mildew buildup. They seem to be a little more complex and with complexity comes increase likelihood of repairs. They use less soap but you have to buy more expensive soap. So maybe you break even there? Don�t even know if the HE type of detergents will be hard to find at normal stores like walmart since I never used it. You can�t just throw clothes in there while its running that you want.

Ok so what is my point of this post? I want to make sure I�m not throwing my money down the drain.

So anyways after much research (Sears reviews, best buy reviews, lowes reviews, consumer reports, google) I decided to go with these set that seems to be a very good price for a front loading set. I opted not to get one with a steam feature. From what I can tell it�s a gimmick feature to sell more washer/dryers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+7.3+Cu.+Ft.+7-Cycle+Electric+Dryer+-+White/9847455.p?skuId=9847455&productCategoryId=abcat0910004&id=1218183917273

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+4.0+Cu.+Ft.+8-Cycle+High-Efficiency+Washer+-+White/9847446.p?id=1218183106495&skuId=9847446

When the appliance repair person was here I asked him what brands to go with. He said Samsung 1st and LG a close 2nd. So I stayed with Samsung. The unit I was selected above wasn�t the top unit selected by consumer reports but then again its like � the price. It�s still rated as a good for cleaning performance.

Anyways after much research there is still some questions I haven�t got answered:

1. They say that FL are easier on clothes than top loading. The question is how much easier? Will this make a huge difference in how fast your clothes wear out? Will it make a difference in fading?

2. How much will a unit like this really save you in energy. Is it going to take you 15 years to recoup the price difference? I understand the green part of using less water but its probably going to save that much on my water bill. The question is how much will a FL save you on your electric bill. Yes I know they use less energy to run but then again a cycle runs a lot longer.

3. Clothes are a lot dryer so it takes less drying time so I�m curious if this will make a big difference at all.

4. The sales person says you can fit a lot more clothes in a FL than you can in a top loader. The question is how much more. She told me 1.5 loads. Can it be true? If so it would be great.

The other thing I have been thinking about is do I really need the matching set? Would it be better of just buying the washer and not the dryer? I mean yes they won�t match but who cares right? They are located in a closet in the bathroom. Its not like I�m going to be showing off my washer/dryer. What do you guys think? Yes its annoying that my dryer doesn�t have a buzzer but is it $500 annoying�.probably not. Course It does have a "wrinkle prevent" feature and it actually works it would be awesome. How many of us get busy with something else and forget the dryer? Thoughts? Also its slightly larger. 7.3 compared to 7 of my current dryer. If I can actually fit 1.5 loads in the washer maybe I will need the slightly bigger washer?

There goes it. What do you guys think Any opinion would be MUCH appreciated. I have until the 28th to decide (delivery date).

Extra Info: I do about 4 loads a week.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm