SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
captsmethwick

Moldy FL Washer: Should we throw in the towel?

captsmethwick
13 years ago

Sorry for the pun, adapting this question from my post in the appliance forum...

We see ourselves in the market for a new laundry set - particularly the washing machine. We had a Kenmore HE3t set and hated dealing with the frequent reoccurence of mold (and the resultant smelly towels, etc.) and so my wife is very wary of front load machines.

Within the next month, we're prepared to pull the trigger on a good quality top load set and price isn't really an issue but would prefer to spend less than $3k for the set.

Our challenge is that we both prefer the advantages of front load (capacity, energy/water use, and gentleness on clothes) and would definitely consider one provided that we were certain that it was significantly better at dealing with mold than the Kenmore set was.

We're open to all recommendations of top and front load machines - provided that there was a reasonable expectation that the FL models would be better dealing with mold. Also, our laundry room is on the 2nd floor so vibration control is a must. We're also partial to Miele and note that Miele Canada is having a $1000 off promotion for a W4802/T9802 FL pair but we have nothing independent about how its design would be better at preventing mold buildup than others.

Grateful in advance.

PS - in the early days of our FL, we weren't diligent about mold prevention techniques and are certain that this was most of the problem - but, after a few years, it's become a PITA. We're also aware that there's a class action suit underway related to this problem with Kenmore FL machines - which we have no intention of joining. IOW, we're definitely looking in the mirror here but my wife just has lost confidence in FLs.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!