SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_in_wessex

Another exciting Australian book!

jon_in_wessex
15 years ago

Those of you who were reading or contributing to this forum in the first years of the millennium will remember that erudite and entertaining Australian, Roger Mann. Along with most other Australian contributors, he left the forum after a disagreement with the famous 'Spike'.

In 2002 Harper Collins published Roger's 'Roses: a practical guide to over 300 roses for Australia and New Zealand', just about my favourite modern treatment of available roses. This year we saw the Stirling Macoboy 'Ultimate Rose Book', a vast and lavish tome.

Now Roger has a new book ready to go - already launched in Australia, soon to be in Canada and the USA, and my copy is on backorder from Amazon UK:) Because of that I can't actually review it, but thought I could make you aware.

The book is 'Naming the Rose', and is an expansion of a favourite topic on this Forum - the exploration of the people behind those names we grow in our gardens.

The photography is by old Forummers Yvonne Arnold and Paul Barden. The production is sumptuous.

Roger recently read from the book's introduction on Australian National Radio - you can listen here:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/linguafranca/stories/2008/2379477.htm

I'm also providing a link below to Von's pbase page which has some beautiful images of the book.

A great Christmas present for antique rose lovers!

Best wishes

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (27)