SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Such sadness is beyond measure.

ronda_in_carolina
13 years ago

Some of you won't know me. Some of you know me well. I have been working two jobs and finishing my graduate degree so I haven't posted as much in the last 2 years.

At any rate, I have less than a quarter acre with over 70 roses on it. I don't spray and consider my yard a successful experiment in growing no-spray roses in the South. Ahhhh but for the dreaded Rose Rosette.

I had studied pictures of this disease and was even able to alert a downtown garden that they had it present on a few roses. Now, sadly, I find it has found me.

Lost are:

Belinda's Dream

Bonica

Carefree Sunshine

Julia Child

A massive and well placed Knock Out

La Marne

Moulton Noisette

Scepter'D Isle (I am a fan of Myrrh and this was my only Myrrh rose)

Weeping China Doll (and I was weeping to remove this huge lovely rose)

And most heartbreaking of all, an absolutely massive and splendid Penelope

I shovel pruned a few other weak roses over the last 3 years but never expected to take a hit like this. I have come down to 43 roses from 70. One side of my beloved hill is barren but for a few roses, trees and assorted evergreens. Survivors in the RRD region are (knocking on wood) my Abe Darby, General Gallieni, and most favorite Country Dancer. I feel that if I lose Country Dancer I will just quit growing roses.

I know many of you have had RRD so I wanted to see what the long term affects have been on your garden. Did you wait the 2 recommended years to plant roses in the soil again? Did you have multiple episodes? What information can you share with me as I fight to save my garden.

Many thanks to all of you.

These are old pictures and the roses I removed were so much more mature but....

All of these roses are gone:

{{gwi:312450}}

{{gwi:312451}}

My Country Dancer ...that I cannot bear to lose.

{{gwi:224630}}

Comments (28)