SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

O/T So shocked and sad, sad

nikthegreek
8 years ago

Some of you may remember that I lost 2 of my 3 Goldens within the last year. My Boubis got into depression after the crossed the rainbow bridge that I had to do something about it so I adopted a young mixed breed female from a shelter. Sissy. So nice and cudly little dog. This morning I took her to the vet to have her spayed. And half an hour ago they called me to tell me she died of heart failure during the procedure. This young baby of 7 months had such a short life.. This morning she was so nice and happy. I took her to meet her death. I'm shocked, shocked. Aris will get depressed again.. Not a nice year at all. At all... Sorry if this upsets any of you, just needed to share.

Comments (55)

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It won't take long to get another companion to Aris and me. I'm looking into it as we speak. One thing I learned being a dog parent for long is that the best way to fight grief is to substitute as soon as possible. And I think Aris would agree! This evening I'm going to visit this doggy below which is up for adoption and looks very much like my unlucky Sissy

Lara the Sheltie mix might have a new home soon!

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Buford, I can't help wondering whether there was an error with the anesthesia.

• Related Discussions

Don't know why I am so very sad

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for your response, Sweeby. That is a very interesting point about whether the relationship was good or not. Generally, I think you are right about that. Odd, one would think the better relationship would be more sorrowfully mourned. But one also mourns the lost opportunities. No, there is no unfinished business. I did everything I could have done to try to save that marriage. And I negotiated with him much longer than I had to in order to arrange issues with the children. There is nothing more I could have done. He has gone on with his life and so have I. As it turns out, he is o.k. There was surgery which showed that there was no malignancy after all. The growths on his spine were removed and with therapy he should recover. I am glad about that. But I am puzzled by how emotional my sadness felt. My relief doesn't feel that way at all. There are just a lot of practical reasons that it's good he will still be around. It is very strange not to understand why I feel the way I do. I'm just glad the crisis is over.
    ...See More

I am so sad! I don't need any more Things!

Q

Comments (25)
    Pamala...that was deep :oP And in my case quite correct :) I actully feel a connection with the things I add to my home. A lovely little cordial glass can give me as much or more pleasure as an antique piece of jewelry. I love that the things were held in someone's hand a hundred years ago :) and now I get to enjoy them. I've always been this way, from a canning jar to a yellow ware bowl, I just love the joy of old stuff :oP And now I have an excuse to need more...so the hunt continues. And I will say, it's the hunt and kill aspect that makes it so much more fun than if I just walked into a store and said "I'll take that and that and that" to fill spaces verses searching for the perfect silly little thing...which normally I don't find, it finds me :o) I will say, I also have really gotten into the hunt to give away as well! I just gave habitat for humanity enough stuff from this house to fill three truck loads. I love losing the clutter and love that losing it meant it went to help someone else have a home some day or fill a home someday (our habitat store is a nice thrift store and it's a wonderful place to shop). I did the same thing in alaska when we moved into our finished house. It was great to donate a huge heap of very usable stuff that no longer apealed to me or I didn't have a need for anymore. Maybe I have house focused bulemia? Binge and purge syndrome...only instead of food I binge on silly things like antique canning jars LOL
    ...See More

Sad, sad, sad rose bushes this season in Milwaukee, WI

Q

Comments (15)
    This is the time to work on your soil. Add compost, manure and good mulch. Keep the roots in good shape. Roses always do better with rain than hose water. You should see what the drought is doing to my roses in CA. The year it rained and rained was my best year ever. But roses want sun and warmth too. If you have been using chemical fertilizers instead of natural ones then you might want to give your soil some TLC while the roses take a break.
    ...See More

So sad about my cabinet color-- so yellow

Q

Comments (35)
    Ironically, none of these opinions of your cabinets' color are worth the time it took to type them. Monitors resolve colors differently, no matter how "true" they claim to be. Even "true" is different in peoples' eyes, because EYEs make colors different. So to you it's too yellow. I agree with taking a door back to wherever you got it and comparing it to the sample. If it's different, you might have a leg to stand on about changing them. I don't get the designer "letting" you have a color, as someone mentioned. The thing is, and we warn against this in every. single. discussion about paint color: you cannot choose a color without living with a large sample in your own lighting. White is a color. Just because it's painted on a door, doesn't mean you shouldn't live with it for a while. Some know this because it's my own oft repeated color story: attempting a gorgeous, gray/green color. Found it perfectly several different times. I painted at night. LOVED IT. With each color choice. However, in direct sunlight, it appeared teal or turquoise. Seemed my windows had a protective coating on them, which created a blue light. Those cabs not in direct sunlight remained the beautiful color(s) I'd chosen. I eventually settled on a cream with yellow it in, because combined with the light from the windows, it became sagey/green/gray. Go figure. Anyway, you don't have to live with it. 1) Change your lighting 2) Change your paint 4) Change your back splash Paint them Have them replaced. 6) Don't look at them. Reface them
    ...See More
  • Holly Webster(7bNC)
    8 years ago

Oh, Nik and Aris, my heart aches for you. I had the exact same thing happen to me once. Took a young, apparently healthy, mixed breed dog to be spayed and she died from an unsuspected heart issue while under anesthesia. I was helped by knowing she had a great life the short time she was with me and by knowing she was not in pain.

I pray God eases your sorrow, prevents Aris from sliding into a deeper depression and blesses you both with another fur person to share your lives - - maybe 2! And that you won't be afraid to spay/neuter your new family member. Peace to you both, and may God open your roses today to release their sweet perfume.

nikthegreek thanked Holly Webster(7bNC)
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Holly your words are soothing. I called home to talk to my partner and she was in tears. I'm sure Aris would be also if he knew. He really liked her. I'm looking for a bitch already spayed.... Lara, which I linked to above and I have already talked to the lady who's temporarily looking after her is about 3 yrs old and already spayed.

Just to add that there is no shortage of dogs up for adoption over here... The financial troubles have 'helped' with that.

• User
    8 years ago

..Lara has the most beautiful eyes and such an intelligent look... I wish you all the best....

..I also question the amount of anaesthetic used... we have a Greyhound and the dose for these is not the same as for other breeds... it seems not all vets are aware.. and we have to be very careful...

nikthegreek thanked User
  • Holly Webster(7bNC)
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree. Sometimes with mixed breeds, you don't know all the genetic predispositions because you don't have all the genetic information. Same is true for cats. I currently am owned by a little black Pugdog, and I always research breed - specific responses to all meds, vaccines, flea/tick treatments. My vet is so good at handling my somewhat paranoid questions. I would much rather try the patience of the vet than hurt my Pugdog!

Lara looks like such a good dog! Plus, she's already spayed! She will need you and Aris to help her over her grief at being given away and she can help you and Aris with your grief. Sounds like a win/win solution!

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Marlorena, I suspect something has gone wrong with sloppily weighting her. I left her with a friend of mine at the vet as I had to go to work. Before she was operated on she was weighted. There's no way she would have been 17kilos heavy although last time I weighted her she was quite younger and smaller. She was just so smaller than Aris who's about 30 kilos. I think somebody messed up but there's no point in trying to find out and it's not worth it either. I have been patronizing these vets for some time and I had no particular complaints. They had been extra cautious with everything. But I will think about changing now.

Holly, This 'She will need you and Aris to help her over her grief at being given
    away and she can help you and Aris with your grief. Sounds like a
    win/win solution!' was so nice to hear.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

I am glad you are looking for another companion for Aris and yourself. Lara looks lovely and as you say, it will be a win/win solution for Lara, you and Aris.

I have always had St Bernard's, which have a pretty short lifespan, but as I always tell people, they are here for a good time, not a long time. You have given Sissy her good time.

nikthegreek thanked ozmelodye
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The one and only pic of poor Sissy I have. This is the pic that lured me into adopting her. She must have been about 3-4 months old in this pic.

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

What a sweetie!

nikthegreek thanked ozmelodye
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And this is the Golden family during happier times. Aris is on the left. Boubis on the right and Irma have gone and the place looks nothing like this (this actually looks better now)

Aris when younger

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

Lara looks beautiful and sweet.

nikthegreek thanked countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
  • ozmelodye
    8 years ago

They look very happy & playful together. Aris is very handsome. I love golden retrievers too and it was a toss up when we bought our first dog. My son & daughter in law are in the process of looking at GRs now they are ready to become pet parents.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ozmelodye, feel free to ask me anything you want about Goldens. I have had at least one Golden for longer than I care to remember.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

So sorry to hear this. She was adorable. :(

nikthegreek thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • Vicissitudezz
    8 years ago

Nik, I'm so sorry for all your losses. We lost an older dog last summer to bladder cancer, and thought we would wait a bit before getting another dog. I couldn't stand not having a dog, though, so within a couple of weeks we adopted our current dog. She was two years old and her former 'owner' had died. She is so sweet, smart and loving, I think we helped her heal, just as she helped us.

Lara looks very wise. Good luck!

Virginia

• jacqueline9CA
    8 years ago

When you get Lara (or another dog), please post pictures of her and Aris - we would love to see them together. So glad you are getting another dog -

Jackie

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll make sure I'll do. Thank you all for your kind and supportive words.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I had a talk with the vets. They say everything looked fine during the operation, she was on the monitor with heart beats and oxygen level normal and while they were stiching her up the heart beat suddenly stopped. From 98bpm it went directly to 0. They say it was a heart arrest. They say weight measurement was accurate and they double checked that after death. They don't believe that the anesthesia drug had anything to do with this but they are worried that the relaxant drug that they are using before anesthesia might have caused it in case some heart condition already existed. They say the drug has been a bit suspect in the vet community for some time and there is a lack of full research on its sideffects but it is the only one available to vets in Greece. Don't know the name of that drug and I'm not in the mood to research this further. The lady vet was sobbing when she was talking to me so I didn't want to stress her more. They refused payment for the procedure.

PS On the positive side, Lara and her foster parent are going to visit me this weekend. They (both) want to check me and the place out I believe. Let's hope they find all to their liking (including Aris).

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I'm very sorry for you losses, Nik, but you are certainly not at fault. It seems like Sissy probably had some kind of heart defect and there was no way you could have known that. Even if you had not taken her to the vet she probably would not have lived a long life anyway. Please do not blame yourself.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry, Nik. Sissy looked like a wonderful little dog, so sweet and full of fun. I don't doubt that your golden, Aris, will miss her tremendously and so will you.

I couldn't help but notice that Sissy looked like a herding mix of some kind. Do you suppose that she carried one or two copies of the MDR 1 gene? <http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-becker/multidrug-sensitivity-what-you-need-to-know>; For more information you can read about it on the Washington State website.

This is common in some herding breeds and causes dogs to be more sensitive to certain drugs. Here in the USA, many vets use acepromezine as part of their anesthesia regimen. My old vet did and one of my old Aussies had a problem recovering from the anesthesia after a simple surgery. It affected her for the rest of her life. Now all my dogs are tested and my Sheltie, Yatta (rhymes with hurrah) carries this gene. My new vet, a Sheltie owner herself, is well aware of the connection and routinely substitutes other drugs for the problematic ones. Not every vet knows about this.

I hope that you will let us know when you adopt a new dog and post the picture here. Lara looks like an excellent choice. I might be a little prejudiced though, since I'm a foster home for Sheltie rescue here.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    8 years ago

Looks like you posted while I was writing. It seems even more likely that drug sensitivity was the cause.

• jerijen
    8 years ago

I detest Acepromazine. Dalmatians don't metabolize it well, and Boxers don't ... and the good Lord only knows what other breeds don't.

• Rosefolly
    8 years ago

So very sorry! I hope you and your dog find comfort.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes indeed Sissy had many signs of shepherd breed blood in her. Apart from the quite obvious face characteristics you might have noticed in the pic, she had the distinct posture of a Greek Shepherd (Or Greek Sheepdog), walking with the head low and the hind high, looking up at you without raising the head, and often using the shepherd nip (a light nip or pinch with the front teeth with the mouth almost closed, similar to what a dog would use on itself to scratch for flees) which these dogs use on sheep. Of course she was one fourth the size of one.

Good to know about this MDR1 issue although there's not much one can do about it over here but worry... Lara has obvious shephard blood in her also. I talked to the vet about this, they didn't know the particular MDR-1 connection but they told me some drugs carry a notice about being used on shepherd breeds. However they say they did not use either acerpromezine or butorphanol on Sissy. In any case she says the test is not available in Greece. I will forward them the below link for their perusal

WSU Page

• altorama Ray
    8 years ago

I'm so so sorry for your loss.

• allencla
    8 years ago

Im very sorry for your loss. I do have to say though, while it easy to try and look for a single drug that causes an issue, thats usually not the case. If they are being maintained on gas, the initial drugs given may have nothing to do with it, and it may just be the overall plane of anesthesia was too deep. Or there can be a blood clot that has formed at the surgery site or in a heart chamber (like from a defect) and when the patient is moved or rolled it can break free and cause a sudden embolism to occur or patient can even have an allergic reaction to one of the medications...there so many possibilities... even with a postmortem you cant always tell. But to say, well its probably from acepromazine, or well its the dexdormitor, its usually more complex than that. Try not to read this thread and think "wow i hope my vet never uses that drug" because ace can be a great drug when used appropriately.

nikthegreek thanked allencla
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

Dear Nik, I was so sad to read about what you've gone through. Any of us who have lost dogs, often more than one, like you, know the heartbreak and sadness it causes. I'm glad you have your lovely new dog to look forward to, she looks like a sweetheart and fortunately has the spaying part behind her. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll be able to call her your own soon. I'm sure you'll be approved because it's so obvious that you love your dogs with all your heart. She's going to be a lucky little girl and I hope she'll help you and your remaining dog to heal from these traumatic events. Let us know what happens, please, you are in all our thoughts.

nikthegreek thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Ninkasi
    8 years ago

Nik I am so sorry to hear this and my heart is breaking for your loss. What happened to Sissy is so utterly tragic, especially as you were being a good owner and having her spayed. Sadly your time together was short, but do take some consolation in the fact that you rescued her and gave her a happy life while she was with you. I am sure that you gave her your best and hopefully when she passed she was not in pain. I do hope that a new rescue pup will help ease your sadness and fill you and Aris with joy. Dogs have the kindest spirits and you have another angel looking over you now.

nikthegreek thanked Ninkasi
  • ratdogheads z5b NH
    8 years ago

So very sorry :(

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

Niki, I always worry about the anesthesia. I have cats, not dogs, but there is one vet in the practice I go to that I will not allow to touch my cats. She did a teeth cleaning on one of my previous cats and the poor thing came home blind and deaf. Her sight came back, but not her hearing. Every time I call and they ask which vet I want to see I say anyone but ......

• BethC in 8a Forney, TX
    8 years ago

Ah my dear, thoughts are with you. It seems like our furry friends never stay long enough no matter how long they are here. I've said good bye to so many pals over the years and it never gets any easier. Best wishes for you as you look for the new member of your family. Wrap them in love and give them a happy life and you will both be blessed.

• catsrose
    8 years ago

There are many possible causes of death during surgery, from drug reactions to undiagnosed pre-existing conditions. Most of the latter can be determined in an autopsy. Reactions to drugs can often be identified on site; tho the patient can't always be saved, the doctor can usually say that was probable cause. And some 1% will just up and die for no good reason whatsoever. If you have been comfortable with your vet up to this point, give him/her the benefit of the doubt. Veterinary medicine doesn't pay all that well and moist vets are into it because they really do care. S**t happens.

• monarda_gw
    8 years ago

So sorry!

nikthegreek thanked monarda_gw
  • kittymoonbeam
    8 years ago

Oh these things are the saddest of all.

What can we do? Poor humans that we are. We do our best and try to give our loved family members the happiest lives we can but it's not always certain that we can. My heart is right there with you.

nikthegreek thanked kittymoonbeam
  • nancylee2
    8 years ago

Nik, Our thoughts and prayers of comfort go your way. Our grief was too great to even consider a new companion after we lost our golden at 16 years. And then we lost our second and younger golden to depression less than a year later. We did not understand the bond of the two. Our daughter, now a new vet, pushed me toward this understanding and an acceptance of the losses finally to a new puppy. Why did I not do so sooner - a lack of the understanding you are sowing us. It is a comfort from you to me that you can mourn the most recent loss of Sissy, recognize all these human and canine needs and are moving forward. Life is too short to not do so. Thank you for sharing. ~Nancylee

nikthegreek thanked nancylee2
  • thonotorose
    8 years ago

Heartbreaking... I'm hugging one of ours now. Veronica

nikthegreek thanked thonotorose
  • comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    8 years ago

Thinking and feeling with you, Nik, in your shock and grief... may love and blessings surround you and your loved ones; those still here on Earth and those always precious ones that have travelled on...

Many hugs to you all, and hopes for your future with Lara.

nikthegreek thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • Campanula UK Z8
    8 years ago

Nooooo!

What a total bummer.

But yep, you are right - another one soon a. Sort of different when you lose and old dog which has become part of the furniture - it simply doesn't feel right to get a substitute right away - not least because it is always a hard act for a new dog to have to follow...but I agree here, for you and Aris, a new companion is the best thing to do...and what a companion! Of course, having sheepdogs myself I am biased...and hey, our little girl was due to be (gasp) culled 'because she was the 'wrong colour'. The hill shepherds in Wales do not want long haired dogs because they get brambled and tangled...and we also found out that they don't want brown dogs because they disappear in the bracken...and our Welshie is brown with white chest and socks so yep, ours was a rescue too. Lara looks gorgeous - but utterly heartbreaking about Sissy -great name for her ...and yep, a lot of shepherd in there).

Hazel (ours) has just come through her first oestrus so I will be having her spayed in the next couple of months but fortunately, we can get keyhole surgery in some vets although it is twice as expensive as the usual removal of the ovaries and uterus. Mostly though, only the ovaries are removed through 2 tiny incisions -the procedure takes less than 2 minutes...is there any chance this is available anywhere in Greece? And if it is, can we help to pay for it? I am saying we, meaning I, but I am pretty certain that if there is anything at all we in the rest of Europe and the US can possibly do in this terrible time in the Greek people's history, a few spare dollars/pounds is the very least of it - please, please don't feel angry - we are your (distant) mates after all.

Have you been able to bury her on your land? Perhaps pick a favourite from your new roses in her memory. Again, utterly sorry to hear this - the grief and pain is very heart-clenching and even gasp out loud but I truly hope you, Aris and Lara find joy and a long life. Psychic, long distance hugs (and please, again, don't be offended by my crass insensitivity - I hope it comes from the right place).

Courage.

SuzyX

nikthegreek thanked Campanula UK Z8
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Suzy thanks for the kind words. I didn't know that laparoscopic spaying was practiced and by doing a quick google search I see that there are a few places here that say they perform it. Good to know for the future. Lara, if I end up getting her, is 3 years old and already spayed so no issue there. No I don't bury my pets on my land mainly because of the effort needed to dig deep enough (otherwise you stand the ugly chance of the other dogs... you know what I mean). There is a doggy cemetery not too far from where I live which I patronise.

On the matter of working dogs I can understand people having particular requirements as long as they treat the dogs right. That the doggy was given for adoption rather than be put down because of the wrong colour is a good and promising thing. What I cannot sympathise with is sports hunting (although I fully appreciate how this 'sport' has helpd in the development of lots of breeds we now use as companions, my Goldens included).

• Campanula UK Z8
    8 years ago

Hi Nik

hope you don't mind - here is Hazel on Midsummer Common, Cambridge, at around 6months.

Hope you and Lara are a good fit.

Cheers. Suzy

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hazel looks very alert. A 'real' dog. She's a Welsh sheepdog, she looks like one of the heavier built ones.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    8 years ago

My sympathies for this heartbreaking turn, Nik, and I am glad you are seeking another love. Sissy was beautiful, as is Lara -- I think gold-colored dogs are especially beautiful.

Funny about the "wrong color". My late uncle, Bob Zimmerman, among the last of the true cowboys, was renowned for his line of "yellow" McNabs. McNabs are a local (originating at the McNab Ranch) lineage of Scotch collies that are usually black and white, but he got a gold-colored one in one batch of pups ("Gyp"), who went on to father offspring where the occasional pup was that color, too (recessive mutation, I suppose). Gyp was an exceptionally good herder, who won sheepdog trials at the county fair, as were many of his yellow offspring, so rather than being shunned, the yellow pups were highly desired by local ranchers. They seemed to consider them a sure bet for a good dog, as well as being of that relatively rare and novel color that lent prestige. But, as Camps points out, not so practical, considering that most of lower-elevation California is the same color as these dogs in the summer and fall -- Gyp, son Teddy, and grandson Rowdy (the ones I knew best) were hardly visible at a distance, at all, on the range.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

My heart breaks for you Nik. I hope time heals the pain for you.

nikthegreek thanked Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry. It must be so devastating. I remember the worry I felt when our cat was spade. Nik, I hope and pray the best for you, Boubis and your future companion.

nikthegreek thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Many thanks to all for your support. It has been precious. Aris is getting extra double cuddles these last couple of days so he thanks you too.

Dedicated to all of you (not an OGR but my current best bloomer during this summer heat)

• Holly Webster(7bNC)
    8 years ago

Nik, it's so beautiful; looks like a whipped cream rose on a wedding cake! What variety is this?

I also want to let you know about a remedy which I have used with great success in cats, dogs and humans going through trauma and stress. I know you can get it in western Europe and Italy, so I am hoping you can get it in Greece. It's called "Rescue Remedy", and it is a Bach Flower remedy. 10 drops in their water bowl, fresh each day. I have seen it work within hours, usually within a couple of days there is improvement if it's going to work. Doesn't work for all people or animals, but does no harm at all. There are also specific remedies for grief which I used on myself when my father died and on my Pugdog when "her Boy" (my son) moved out. Hopefully you can access their website from where you are (seems you have reliable internet) and see if it's something you and Aris and your new family member want to try. I keep some on hand all the time, as well as personalized blends.

• nikthegreek
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is a compact floribunda cum patio rose which has performed admirably for me. No disease, round dense and compact habit with short internodal lengths, smallish dark glossy green foliage, a bit slow to start, somewhat slow to rebloom but produces wonderful flushes and large blooms which are fruity scented (Tea like not european rose scent) like melon to my nose. I have it in a pot and I suspect it may be a water hog if planted in a dry garden. Other than that it likes my climate.

I hope the powers that be are reading my praise for one of their roses.....
    Sangerhäuser Jubiläumsrose (Floral Fairy Tale)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    8 years ago

Nik, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mr. B. and puppy. It is so hard to lose them. Wish you much joy with little Lara.