SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Is Your Garden Listed on Help Me Find?

hartwood
12 years ago

The announcement of the closing of another rose nursery, and the potential loss of availability of their roses when the closure is complete in 2013, makes it doubly important that all of us have a garden listing on Help Me Find and that we keep our listing as up to date as we can. It's easy, and it's free (though I suggest that everyone become a paid member to support and preserve this fantastic resource.)

If your garden is not listed on HMF, it's easy to do. Here's how:

1. Click on the link below to access the Gardens page.

2. Click on the 'Add a New Listing to HMF' tab on the far right at the top of the page.

3. Click 'Add a New Garden'.

4. Name your garden and submit it for review. Within 24 hours a HMF moderator will email you a link to complete your garden registration process. After you get your link, you can upload a list of the roses in your garden.

If you already have a garden listing on HMF, is it accurate? I had a lot of losses in my pots this past winter, and I totally forgot to update my HMF list to reflect this. I also have been buying Eurodesert bare root roses, which I forgot to add to my list. It only took me a few minutes to bring my listing up to date.

Why do I bother, and why should you do this? The most obvious reason is to foster communication about who grows what roses and where they are. It doesn't matter if you have rare roses in your garden or if your garden is full of roses that are currently available in your local garden center. Someone coming along behind you may be helped by your information. For example ... many times, when I am considering ordering a particular rose, I check HMF to see if there are any gardens near me that may also grow that rose. I have been known to send a PM to that HMF member to ask how that rose performs for them.

The obvious reason for listing the roses in your garden in a public place like HMF is to foster communication and to potentially preserve these roses for the future.

If you have any questions about how to list your garden on HMF, or any problems uploading your roses once your garden is listed, let me know and I will do what I can to help you.

Connie

(my garden is listed on HMF as 'Hartwood Display Garden')

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find gardens page

Comments (81)

• aimeekitty
    12 years ago

Also, I suppose it goes without saying... but if you have a relatively rare rose, make sure you post photos of it on HMF

there are even some NOT rare roses where there are NO FULL BUSH shots showing it's habit/shape...

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Maureen, I liked the quote on your Sergeant Cuff's Garden. That is very cool!

• Related Discussions

MY WANT list....help me find??

Q

Comments (10)
    depending ENTIRELY on your micro-climate, the following are questionable in z5 ... and failures in my z5: cedrus deodora klondike sciadopitys verticillata mereille sequoia from my cursory knowledge.. the following would be suspect, on name alone [and i will defer to others with EXPERIENCE, rather than theory]: pinus x schwerinni "weithorst pinus patula mexican pine the following have been failures in my z5 .. but i dont know if it was a winter or a summer issue ... high humid heat can be as problematic as winter cold: picea abies gold drift [you listed it twice.. does that mean you are twice as excited about it.. lol] in my experience.. most if NOT ALL of the European named cultivars are NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to get on this side of the pond ... unless you are willing to pay exorbitant shipping, handling, and import fees ... many.. but not all .. have very close look alikes here in the states ... good luck .. you seem to have the bug real bad.. too bad it is winter.. though that should NOT stop you from visiting that chi-town place ... in woodstock IL ... one of the best things about conifers.. is that they dont go away in the dreary winter ... plus you can see all the winter golds in all their glory ... see link .. good luck ken, the enabler Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

My 2011 grow list...what's your opinion...and your list?

Q

Comments (71)
    I don't post here a lot, but I do on the Canadian forums. I lurk here :-) I don't grow a lot of tomato varieties but I do grow for quality. This year I have one plant, grown form a seed of the original Gordon Graham tomato. He has the world's record largest tomato according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Through good fortune and a friend, I was able to trade for just a few seeds from Gordon Graham's world record tomato. I got one to germinate, so I have one tomato plant that is a direct child of his original! I do grow other tomatoes but I'm really excited about this one! We had a very bad tomato year last year with lots of BER. This year I planted the tomatoes in my good lasagne "wine" garden, dug in lots of old manure, a little lime and one Tums tablet in each hole. The same friend who gave me the seeds above, told me that a Tums will help supply the calcium the tomatoes need to help prevent BER. So I'm trying it. It's easy and cheap, so I figured "Why not?" We'll see how it goes. Needless to say, I baby that plant! In addition to that one, I am also growing our own heritage Portugal beefheart tomatoes (see link to pic below), San Marzano, Manitoba, Ailsa Craig, and Rev Morrow long keeper. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

Can you help me find plates to go with Mikasa Garden Harvest?

Q

Comments (22)
    Maybe we should start a TKA forum; there certainly seems to be a lot of people who have had or are having one. There are already good forums out there, though. I don't want to hijack this one with my knee stuff. Good luck to all of us! I did go to town yesterday and looked at BB&B for stoneware to match the Mikasa. I didn't find anything I liked, but have concluded it does need to be a matte finish. My plan is to continue on hobbling through various places that you guys have suggested until I find what I think harmonizes perfectly. You all have given me lots of ideas, and thank you very much. The Mikasa rep I chatted with said they have nothing that will coordinate with Garden Harvest. I asked her about your suggestions, olychick, and she said all of those are glossy. I guess the search will continue. I didn't make it to anywhere but BB&B and Kohl's yesterday. Thanks again, everyone.
    ...See More

Can any Canadian gardeners help me find Perle d'Azur clematis?

Q

Comments (5)
    You can try Peter Keeping from the Ontario Rock Garden and Hardy Plant Society. You will have to pick it up from his home in East Toronto OR at the Peterborough Garden Show: http://www.onrockgarden.com/news/clematises-peter-keeping I believe this Clematis is listed in his 2017 availability list. You can also email your request to Peter via info@onrockgarden.com and Carol of the ORGHPS will forward your request to Peter.
    ...See More
  • cath41
    12 years ago

Thank you one and all.

I think that the problem is that Firefox is blocking cookies. I will wait for DH, the computer guru, who does things I know not with the computer and who has gone to bed, to help me. If we still cannot post the roses to HMF we will be baaaack.

Cath

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

That's the tab I've by trying to use, Kim, and it never changes the date.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I've been using Opera and the comment about Firefox made me think maybe it was that so I just tried it again using Explorer and it still wouldn't change the date. ARGH!!!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Just now, I clicked on the "date" tab on that screen, entered the date as 2011-09-14 and then "save". It has updated my garden listing as of today's date. Perhaps you were entering the date in the order the system won't accept? Kim

• nastarana
    12 years ago

Dear Connie,

Your instructions appear to pertain to public gardens only, which mine is not.

• cath41
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I still do not have a "Gardens" or "Member Gardens" tab on my page. I have all the other tabs that have been described. I am properly logged in as it shows my user name and I checked my Firefox cookies and the HMF cookie is there>

Help! I'd really like to put my garden on the site.

Thanks
    Cath

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

Gean - thanks for noticing. (I love old mysteries).

I hope everyone gets HMF figured out soon. I am looking forward to seeing more gardens listed.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I'm in the same situation as Cath41. I am a paid member, I am logged on, and I enabled cookies. I still don't get the garden tab.

I think this all happened when I tried to list my garden once before a couple of years ago, and at some point I just gave up.

I use a Mac, if that makes any difference. Cath, are you using a Mac? That is the only think left that I can think of.

Rosefolly

• landperson
    12 years ago

Might I suggest that if HMF isn't working correctly for you that you go to the Q&A Forum (see the list there on the left side of the screen) and address your problems/questions/etc to HMF directly. It probably makes more sense for them to try to sort you out than for us to try to sort you out.

When I started using HMF I was very frustrated, but the administrators there got me on the right path. It is still not designed in a way that makes it obvious where to go when and what to do to get the results you want, but if you can learn it's somewhat bizarre pathways, it is well worth the effort.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Q&A Forum in left column at HMF

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Connie, thanks for taking the initiative to remind us to either list our gardens on HMF or update our listing there.

My garden is actually already listed under organicgardendreams, but I am guilty that my list of roses is not updated. I also really have to make the effort and posts photos of the roses there.

HMF is indeed such a great resource for rose lovers and I feel well worth the effort to get our rose gardens listed and updated. I am on it this weekend, promised!

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Rosefolly, I have a Macbook. I took pics of the screens - is this what yours looks like?

This is the member page - where you get to from the orange rectangle box in the far right corner on the top - my hmf account.

Then click on the member garden tab which is a light green tab, second from the far right.

{{gwi:309971}}

After you click on member garden tab, this listing comes up- it is a description of your garden

{{gwi:309972}}

click on plants grown tab and you will come to this page. Hit the update plant list which is in a small gray box - or you can upload an entire list by hitting the next box

{{gwi:309973}}

Hth -I would love to see all you grow! Gean

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

No joy, Kim. I just tried again using the exact order you show and it didn't work.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Gean, this is what I get.

{{gwi:309974}}

There are enough of us having this problem that I suspect something is broken. That, or there is something incredibly obvious that many of us are missing.

Rosefolly

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I'm sorry Seil. I don't know what to suggest then. Hopefully HMF Admin can sort through it. I know it's been brought to the attention of the "powers that be". Kim

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I see what you mean, Rosefolly; your member page does not have the last two tabs, member garden and listings.

At least we know it's not because you have a Mac. :)

• landperson
    12 years ago

I just went to the Q&A forum at HMF and see that both Cath and Rosefolly have addressed their issues directly to HMF and the admins there have indicated that they are looking into it. I'm sure they will get it sorted for you and we will all be able to look at your gardens and plants grown.....very soon.

Susan

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

I take pride in responding to threads after I read every single entry. But I have a cold, and have been very busy, and want to say that I am listed in HMF as Sammy's Garden.

I don't find HMF to be that easy to navigate. I am sure it would be if I were more involved with it. When you look up a rose, the search will not accept the less than perfect spelling. I wish it would give you choices if you come close. Rev d Or and Perle d Or need apostrophes and possibly proper capitalization. That is not easy for a non French speaker.

I need to be more involved, because it is a great source. It stays. Our forum threads move on, and are very hard to find.

Sammy

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Sammy......

The place to make the comment about something that might be more useful to you as a site user on HMF is on HMF. The same is true if you are having a problem with any of the site features. If you have a problem or a suggestion, the old saying is to "take it to someone who can so something about it" and that person is on HMF.

All suggestions are welcome and often lead to improvements on the site. HMF is ever-evolving and it always becomes more useful when site users post their suggestions on HMF.

I try to visit GW fairly regularly, but I don't come to this site every day or night, so it would be easy to miss some of the suggestions posted here. However, if the suggestions are posted on HMF, you have helped make the site better because you are sharing your experience with how HMF is set up. That kind of feedback is truly valued.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    12 years ago

Just a suggestion about the missing "MEMBER GARDEN" tab.. Is it possible that it's not showing up because there are no plants listed yet? I realize that sounds completely backwards! Maybe search for a plant that you have (like Julia Child, for example), once located move to the GARDENS tab. Click on the gray MY GARDEN button and add that plant to your garden. After adding at least one plant, would the MEMBER GARDEN tab then show up on your profile? I hope that made sense. I really don't remember dealing with that when I registered last year.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

I hear you, Lyn, but I come here all the time. I go to HMF often with a purpose. I doubt if they have difficulty, it is my problem that I have to always look up the perfect spelling of a rose.

I also am seldom aware of conversations there, and if they are, I believe that they are in order of when they are posted rather than about a certain topic. I have not seen a topic area where you could create different discussions.

HMF is very nice and accommodating, but since the topic is here, I thought I would mention that posting there is not a "no brainer". Sometimes I need to click on many areas to find what I want.

The last time this subject came up here, they made huge changes in the system of allowing viewers to rate a rose. The site is great. But they do not have ongoing discussions about the various topics that we have here.

By the way, who are the posters here who own or moderate HMF?
    Sammy

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Sammy...

I tested looking up Reve d'Or by using the BEGINS WITH search mode and just typing in "Rev" in the search field search instead of BEST MATCH and the rose came up on the search list.

BEST MATCH strips the punctuation away from the name when it is trying to find a rose so that special characters in a rose name don't cause a problem, but even with that adjustment, the software may not find a rose with a non-english name. It happens, but not all of the time.

I often use CONTAINS when I do a search for a rose where I don't know the correct spelling of a rose. For example, I can never remember the complete spelling of 'Francois Rabelais', but I know it includes "rabel", so I use the CONTAINS search and enter that part of the name in the search field.

At the top of the page you can see buttons to REPORT AN ERROR or SHARE AN INSIGHT. That's where you can report problems and suggestions.

Using the HOW DO I button gives you links to several HELP pages, which hopefully makes it easier to use the site.

When that conversation about the photos came up on HMF, it was GREAT. I had been copying the comments from GW and sending them in, but they landed on the "To do" list. But when site members joined that thread and shared their thoughts on HMF, it moved the issue up to the top of the "To do" list.

You can start a conversation on HMF, but not with a thread name the way you can on GW ... it's a different site with different programming. Click on Q & A FORUM, click on POST A COMMENT, select a CATEGORY, enter your post in the field and click CONTINUE.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

THanks Lyn, I really appreciate your comments. In a rush I have undoubtedly not read the choices for a search well enough, and have gone to the catalog to find the exact spelling. I know I have never used the term "contains".

I will look again, and use the comment sections on HMF to try to navigate it better.

Sammy

• vettin
    12 years ago

I tried again, because I did get this to work before. But using an iPad I am getting the same missing tabs. I do not know if the iPad has anything to do with it.
    There are many private gardens listed on the add garden tab, and wonder if that is how I had added it before, not noticing that it said not too.
    I will try accessing it from a pc later this week.
    Good luck, I really would like to see your garden lists!

• vettin
    12 years ago

Once you are logged in and go to gardens in the left toolbar, if you click gardens then click add new listing it will have the page that says not for private gardens.

On the same page just above the details, and below the header "add new garden to help me find" it says:
    MY HMF: Add new garden.
    I am using the pc now, so not sure if it was not on the ipad, or if I just overlooked it.

I don't recall how to do a screenshot...

Add new Garden to HelpMeFind

My HMF:ADD NEW GARDEN

One of HelpMeFind's goals is to catalog the contents of every well known public and private garden in the world. This, in addition to having our members list their personal (member) gardens.
    This page is for adding a public or private garden you are familar with. Possibly you work or volunteer there and recognise the value of cataloging the plants on a master list like HMF. In addition, public gardens can well use HMF to attract and educate potential visitors.
    If your garden is already listed and you can devote some spare time to help maintain the listing, PLEASE contact us. Updating the plant list is quick and easy, even for thousands of plants.
    This page is NOT for members to list their personal gardens. To record details about your personal garden please click the MY HMF menu item button and then the My Garden tab.

• landperson
    12 years ago

Vettin, you are confusing the issue. Since you don't know how to use HMF, you really should not be using this forum to lead other users astray.

Personal gardens are to be added under the MY HMF ACCOUNT tab.
    As has been described multiple times in this thread and as should not have been had to be described on GW at all but have been asked and answered at HMF.

• vettin
    12 years ago

{{gwi:309975}}

• landperson
    12 years ago

Exactly.
    "NOT for members to list their personal gardens."

• vissara
    12 years ago

OMG Thank you SOOO much for starting this thread, Hartwood.
    Thanks to you I just realized the Purple Heart (Moore's) that my sister has been telling me to come take out of her yard is practically NOWHERE

• roseseek
    12 years ago

vissara, I'd like to know where she obtained Moore's Purple Heart as even Mr. Moore hadn't seen it for decades. It has been extinct for many, many years. The Purple Heart your sister grows must be the Carruth one from Week's. Might your sister know where she got it? Mr. Moore had sought it for years in the 80s forward as he thought he might make use of it in breeding.

Reading the old Proof of the Pudding reports of it from the forties and fifties, it was rated extremely low due to very low vigor and not very good disease resistance. The photo of it on HMF isn't Moore's rose, but the Week's rose of the same name. Kim

• vissara
    12 years ago

she bought a rose labeled 'Purple Heart' in a body bag in 1993, it may have been mislabeled but it can't be Carruth's.

It IS a deep purple that blooms in sprays.

• catsrose
    12 years ago

I just updated my garden and I'm on a Mac. No problems.

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I've recently heard from a friend who is not getting the "My Garden" tab either, so while we are in the minority, there are a number of us. I'm hoping to hear from the HMF people once they figure out what the problem is.

Rosefollty

• roseseek
    12 years ago

From the vintage and initial description, my first guess would be Intrigue as it was the current, popular purple floribunda of the time. Might you be able to post photos of it somewhere and direct us to them please? Thanks. Kim

• landperson
    12 years ago

"I've recently heard from a friend who is not getting the "My Garden" tab either, so while we are in the minority, there are a number of us. I'm hoping to hear from the HMF people once they figure out what the problem is.

Rosefollty"

I do hope you have suggested to your friend that she direct her concerns to HMF. Nothing from here is going to be directed to their attention unless you do it yourself. Although there are a couple of moderators from HMF who are also members here, they are quite united in their stance that HMF and GW should be separate and that issues with HMF should be directed to the HMF admins and high muckymucks. I think they are not going to continue doing it for you.

RF, I see that you have posted your issue at HMF. Perhaps a repeat of your question there would be appropriate if you still have not received an answer or a solution. Fussing here will do you no good (to the best of my meager knowledge).

• roseseek
    12 years ago

It just makes better sense, Susan. You don't take your cat to your podiatrist. If what you need about HMF requires more knowledge about its programming, no one here is going to know. From what I know of the site, those who DO know those answers, don't have time to haunt this site as HMF requires enough of their time to keep it running. Some things I know or can figure out. Why a particular tab does or doesn't show, I don't know enough about the coding to even offer a suggestion. I know from personal experience those who are that well versed do read the Q&A as often as routine maintenance permits and they do get back to you. Kim

• cath41
    12 years ago

Since members of both HMF and gardenweb have been promoting HMF on this site, It only makes sense to ask them questions when all other efforts on using HMF prove futile. The suggestion, which some of you made, to use the "Q&A" worked. The "Help" which is equally, or more, logical did not. Such inside information is of great assistance. It is to all rose lover's advantage to get this to work. And so please continue to give us these assists from time to time. HMF emailed me a few days ago to say that they are aware that the Garden tab does not always appear and that they are working on it. We have had a family gathering here this weekend and so I have not had a chance to see if anything more has developed.

Cath

• landperson
    12 years ago

Cath, your point is well taken. I have no problem with giving people tips how to better use HMF (when I actually know something or have figured something out). What I do have a problem with is having people come to GW to complain about things that aren't working at HMF without first trying to get directions and/or help from HMF.

HMF is an excellent resource and we should all be working to encourage more Premium Memberships to finance what we all want to keep at our fingertips for ....ever. And thanking the entirely volunteer admins for answering the questions and problems that we constantly bring to their doorstep.

And just in case you think otherwise, I actually do understand that all of this is just my own personal bias and prejudice; if you disagree with my position, that just means we disagree not that one of us is wrong.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

Under the heading "non commercial gardens" are listed public, private, and member gardens.

I went through to my state where there were 8 gardens.

Some were people, and one was a nursery. Did someone say that they are not all together or that some gardens are not to be listed under certain tabs?

I am not that familiar with HMF, and am familiar with the Antique Rose Forum. I am proud to have been a member for a few years, and want to add my garden as well as my photos. However, in the midst of discussions of rare roses I have not heard of, it is not as comfortable to pose a question as it is here -- now that this thread is open.

I know that the question and answer has choices, and that is a good start. In the past I have just gone to the most recent discussion.

But when I have my garden prepared, it looks to me like there is just one place to put it.

Also, of the gardens listed for my state, there were few pictures. Is the garden listing not for pictures, but for written information? I would feel silly to post about a dozen pictures of my rose beds only to find out that I had done so inappropriately.

Well, I do have a few months to worry about this, since my garden will not be picture worthy until next year.

Sammy

• roseblush1
    12 years ago

Sammy........

I am sorry you did not find more nurseries and gardens listed for your state. I think that is an indication that the site is under-utilized in your area or that gardeners in your state are not familiar with the site.

HMF does not advertise and is not supported by advertisers, but is supported by site users through premium-memberships, nursery sponsorships and donations. People find out about HMF by word of mouth, mentions in articles as the references used for the article, by nurseries listing their inventories and pointing customers to HMF to find out more about the roses they carry.

In my former life, I used to be a construction accountant. Every time I changed jobs, I had to learn a new accounting program. It's the same on the internet. HMF is designed to be a tool for research and an archive of information about roses that are currently in commerce or have gone out of commerce. It takes time to learn how to navigate a new site, but I do think HMF is worth it.

Connie is correct, when people list their gardens, it provides more information to other site users about the roses that grow well in their area. When even small nurseries lists their inventories, it helps rose lovers find a source for roses that may not be readily available in your local neighborhood.

When site users share their experiences about how a rose performs in their gardens, those COMMENTS are archived with the rose page.

All of this information can be found without having to wait for a response from other site users. However, members of the rose community play an important role in answering questions on the Q & A, providing more information about a plant's performance and, yes, catching errors.

As nurseries like Vintage close, having those gardens listed on HMF will create a valuable tool to help save the roses that are not easily found in commerce.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Landperson, I was not aware that I was fussing. I thought I was sharing useful information, and that others might be interested.

Since that seems not to be the perception, I'll stop making unwelcome comments.

Rosefolly

• beaniebeagle
    12 years ago

But if they get the "My Gardens" tab fixed, I would become a paying member

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

Almost a year since the last post in this thread. An important topic still, so how are people doing with adding your gardens to HMF? For those of you who already have a garden on HMF, do you tend to keep your listings up-to-date? Or not? I tend to add roses to my plant list as I order them. If the rose ends up not coming, then I remove it later. I also keep a paper file of rose orders, but I still like being able to pop in to HMF and see what I have (and don't!).

Melissa

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I just updated mine in the past couple of weeks. I was originally keeping my plants listed in a Word document, but have since moved them into an Excel document. That way, I can easily upload my most current list. I use my HMF list not only to let others know what roses I grow, but to keep up with my garden myself.

My plant list also comes in very handy for cutting exchanges. There are some plants that are not big enough for me to post under the cutting exchange, but I would be able to get a few cuttings for someone if they specifically ask me about that rose.

Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tammy's Tennessee Garden

11 years ago

You have a wonderful garden Tammy--I consult it in looking for even more roses to buy.;) I really appreciate all the photos you post on HMF too (they get lots of Fav votes from me).

Btw you have Diane Grace from Antique Rose Emporium. What do you think of her? There aren't any pics on HMF yet..... Only a not very clear image on ARE's site the last time I looked. Could be very pretty. Is she?

Melissa

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Hey Melissa, Thanks for all the Favorite votes :)

As for Diane Grace...I kind of bought it on a whim because I couldn't find any pictures of it either, and thought that the one fuzzy picture looked promising. Its a really healthy rose that always has a bloom or two, but its blooms aren't nearly as yellow or globular as the picture. Here's a recent picture of one of it's blooms...still worth growing, but not what I was expecting :) ...she's actually a little droopy usually...kind of like those Salvidore Dali paintings with the drooping clocks LOL

Tammy

{{gwi:309976}}

11 years ago

I see. Saggy and lacking in grace.*g*

Melissa

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

I always like your comments, Rosefolly. :)

I keep my list updated too as a way to keep track of what I have. It is a lot of fun to browse through other people's lists!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

Yes, my garden listing is updated regularly also. I use HMF pretty much on a daily basis.