SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alamo5000

My 2011 grow list...what's your opinion...and your list?

alamo5000
13 years ago

Brandywine Suddith

Brandywine OTV

Paul Robeson

Cherokee Purple

Green Giant

Comments (71)

• texasjohn
    13 years ago

for 2011, I hope to have the following:

Cherokee Purple
    Rainbow
    Pineapple
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Giant Belgium
    Eva Purple Ball
    Cuostralee

Early Girl
    Sunmaster
    Better Boy
    Big Boy
    Celebrity
    Applause
    Bella Rossa
    Porterhouse

I will also grow an unknown tomato. It was in with
    the Porterhouse packet. Don't know what it is
    but I saved some seeds. Only put on 9 tomatoes
    ranging in size from 9.5 oz to 1 lb.3 oz but
    according to my taste buds, they were good.

• structure
    13 years ago

So many yummy varieties, so little room...

For 2011:

Bloody Butcher
    Stupice
    Moskovich
    Huang Se Chieh
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Krim
    Olena Ukrainian
    Kosovo
    Brad's Black Heart
    Berkeley Tie-Dye
    Large Barred Boar
    Dagma's Perfection
    Yasha Yugoslavian
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Knin (Serbian)
    Black Cherry
    Big Sungold Select

• Related Discussions

Your WS goals for 2011

Q

Comments (12)
    Hopefully I stick by my vow to sow less than this year but like Token I want lots and lots more columbine. The blue ones, yellow ones and white ones are so gorgeous. I would also like to add more iris. They're stunning even though they bloom right when the temp hits 90+ for the first time and the flowers don't last. They're so gorgeous it's worth the show. My baptisia is blooming as is my lupine and they're also dramatic additions early in the season. So, lots more to add but not necessarily different things than I WS this year. Just more of the stunning ones so they have a bigger impact. If even a tenth of the foxglove seedlings I've got grow to maturity and bloom I'll have a foxglove forest.
    ...See More

2011 - the NEW 'You know you're in trouble when...' list

Q

Comments (15)
    All in unison... "Hi, Julie!" "The coffee is over there... by the plate of stale cookies. Welcome to our 12 step program!" ;-) Denial is not just a river in Egypt... it's the state most of us are in after about our 2nd or 3rd season of ordering and collecting Hippeastrum bulbs. It's an addiction, an obsession, and we quickly find ourselves at a disadvantage, our potted hybrid specimens vying for enough light and space, and we often resort to growing and blooming them in group sequences, forcing dormancy on a selected number while another number of bulbs comes into bloom. We might actually designate a portion of our refrigerators to bulbs only, or invest in a second unit we keep out in the garage, clearly labeled with signage of its only contents. Or, we find ourselves investing in artificial lighting, shelving units, or heated greenhouse setups. And many of us secretly wish we could pick up and move far enough south to take advantage of gardening zones, and the ability to grow our bulbs directly in the gardens! We must ask ourselves... how many Red Lions do we really need? How many Minervas or Star of Hollands can we possibly justify buying? Are we running more of a bulb rescue than a hobby growing experience? Once we begin pollination and seed collection and sprouting, we know we've crossed a threshold from which there is no return! If we branch out into the collection of any and all amaryllids, we are surely lost! And yet, there are surely other habits or addictions that are much worse, and we should count ourselves lucky we have embarked upon something of a tame, albeit rather expensive nature! When we find ourselves living in the midst of a bulb jungle, we know we are addicted... when we find ourselves torn between buying groceries and buying bulbs, we know we are addicted... and when we go out of our way for anything related to bulbs or the growing of bulbs, we know we are addicted. You'll excuse me, now... I'm in the middle of researching species lilies and a few other bulbed plants for garden additions next year. :-) "My name is Jodi, and I've been a bulb addict for longer than I can remember..."
    ...See More

Your Favorite, Your Wish List and Your Viewing

Q

Comments (5)
    There's no way I can pick a favorite. Depends on the season and the performance of various plants. If something puts on a huge floral display or a bountiful harvest, that's my favorite at that particular time. Presently, my gardenias are in full bloom and they're my favorite right now. It's been a great year for tomatoes and cucumbers, too. I'd like to get a satsuma after reading the posts about it on this site. But then again... damn citrus greening. I really don't watch anything on TV except the local news and football.
    ...See More

What are your 2011 garden plans?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm on the west coast, in So. Sarasota County. Amber has been here before to retrieve a rather large white BOP years ago. That huge hole became my tiny bog garden, which gave me years of pleasure before most of the plants died in the freeze last year. I have a friend coming over from Miami to get what he wants, or what he can fit into his car, rather. LOL I know him, and he will have me holding onto things so he can come back later and get them. I'll let you know after he leaves, and make arrangements for whatever is left. I really would rather leave NOTHING in this yard for the damned bankers. I put way too much love and work into it to see someone else just let stuff die. I had a guy come over today, and he said the citrus can be moved, best done in February, and you have to cut them back by at least half to move them, then know what you're doing after, but I know a lot of you could do it with enough muscle power to dig them up. Otherwise, I swear, I'm going to cut them off at ground level. I'm not leaving my precious fruit trees here to be abused and killed. I've seen what people let happen to fruit trees that are already in yards when they move in. I watched the guy behind me let this tiny little orange tree almost die from lack of water, so I just went and told him I was digging it up and taking care of it. He didn't care. That is one of the trees I have now, so you can see why I don't want it to stay here. One of my navel oranges was rescued from a friend's compost pile. It's healthy now, but I will never see fruit from it. This was supposed to be my urban homestead, instead, it turned into an urban nightmare. But all things work with the universe for the greater good, so I'm excited about the move. I just want my babies to be taken care of. Thanks for offering to adopt them. I'll let you guys know.
    ...See More
  • floralarchitecture
    13 years ago

OMG. I forgot the most important little bugger, Legend. This plant produced so much fruit and so late into the season. Not seeing a seed source for it though.
    I kept laughing because it never grew tall like the rest of the others and my mom (who was there weekly supervising) said that I wasn't watering it enough.

• natal
    13 years ago

Seeds arrived this week. I'll start them first or second week of February.

New for 2011:
    Bradley
    Church
    Black Cherry
    Beefy Boy

Repeats:
    Cherokee Purple
    Brandy Boy
    Sun Gold
    Sweet Tangerine
    Viva Italia

Giving Another Chance:
    Black Krim
    Pineapple

Dropped through the years:
    Arkansas Traveler
    Brandywine Sudduth
    Yellow Brandywine
    Stupice
    Eva Purple Ball
    Mortgage Lifter
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Virginia Sweets
    Paul Robeson
    Lemon Boy
    Opalka
    Heidi
    Juliet
    Big Beef
    Marianna's Peace
    German Red Strawberry
    Stump of the World
    Purple Calabash
    Jaune Flamme
    Druzba

• slo_garden
    13 years ago

I envy you all for having it figured out. I'm nowhere near finalizing my choices. So far my "Must Grow" list is still twice the amount of space that I have, and that is with some very painful cuts. Maybe I should resort to drawing names out of a hat.

• noinwi
    13 years ago

I haven't made an official list yet either. The 2010 weather here was so sucky that the toms that were able to ripen had little flavor...almost as bad as store bought. I will try a few of the same ones again, to give them a second chance:

Grightmire's Pride
    Hillbilly
    Slovene Black(not Slovenian)

Plus the only one that actually had some flavor, Black Cherry.

Plus some "mystery" varieties, as some of the seed I got from Trudi(not complaining, BTW)produced more than one type...
    Grightmire's Pride seed put out a RL oxheart(the real GP)and a large PL beefsteak, so I'm adding that beefsteak to the mix.
    The Isis Candy seed produced two types, one sort of flat(cheese shaped?), light yellow and sweet. The other more egg shaped, yellow with a pink bottom, but bland tasting(I'm sure due to the weather as with all the others).
    I also have a mystery Pink(which I'm calling Myss Pink for my personal use), that I originally got in a pack of Persimmon seed a few years ago from TGS, and it has come true for me. It's a nice globe shaped medium sized pink with good flavor. I doubt I'll ever be able to properly ID it, hence the made up name.
    I'd like to add one or two new(to me)determinates, but haven't yet figured out where I'd put them.
    List to be amended later, LOL.

• JMG_in_CT
    13 years ago

Mostly new varieties this year. Many from suggestions in this forum....

Early wonder
    Anana Noir
    Neves Azorean Red
    Black Krim
    Bloody Butcher
    Brandywine (Sudduth's strain)
    Jet star F1
    Beef Steak F1
    BlackCherry
    Sungold
    Supersweet 100s
    Big Mama Paste
    Olpaka

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    13 years ago

We're cutting way back this year. Good thing I don't have to whittle the list down to 1 or 2, though!

Here's the list, in no particular order. I ordered all the seeds from Tatiana this year and am eager to see how her Estler's Mortgage Lifters compare to the ones I always grew from my Uncle Bob's seeds.

Slicers:
    Mortgage Lifter Estler's (4)
    German Red Strawberry (2)
    Yellow Oxheart (2)
    Big Zebra (2)
    Mr. Stripey (New for us this year) (2)
    Cherries:
    Dr. Caro Pink (1)
    Black Cherry (2) (we tried Chocolate Cherry last year but we're going back to these; we think BC tastes better than CC)
    SunSugar (1)

I was looking at Park Seeds Biodome - anyone ever try it for seed starting?

• dan2647
    13 years ago

I wanted to try Ukrainian Heart(TNMUJ) and Nicky Crain this year but Sand Hill Preservation had a crop failure so these seeds are not available from them this year. Does anyone out there know of another source for these two varieties ?

• springlift34
    13 years ago

Well, just to slide in here. I now have germinated:

-8 Bush Big Boy
    -47 Pink Brandywine
    -14 Rutgers
    have Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple, Carbon, and Roma in soiless soil all waiting to join the party.

Damn, I forgot German Tree and Johnson. The seed came from Missouri. Thank you. Heirloom that is, Others came from Lowe's.

• iam3killerbs
    13 years ago

I don't quite have it finalized but as it stands right now I'll be growing the following.

Old Favorites:
    Jubilee
    Yellow Pear
    Rutgers

Tomatoes I haven't tried yet in this climate zone:
    Mr. Stripey
    Cherokee Purple

Possible but uncertain:
    Totally Tomatoes Rainbow Beefsteak Blend
    Totally Tomatoes Rainbow Cherry Blend

Its a short list compared to a lot of them, but I only have room for about 20 plants. I will, however, make two plantings -- one in April and one in July -- and might change varieties mid-year.

• archerb
    13 years ago

Here's my list:
    Cherokee Purple
    BW Sudduth*
    Anna Russian*
    Earl's Faux*
    Carbon
    JD's Special CTex*
    Hazelfield Farm*
    Paul Roberson*
    Stump O' World*
    Yellow Red Butt*
    Marianna's Peace
    Gypsy*
    Jap Black Trifele*
    Matt's Wild Cherry*
    Indian Stripe
    Ashleigh*
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian*
    German Head*
    G-Ma Viney's Yellow & Pink*
    German Strawberry

Backups:
    Chapman*
    Red Reif Heart*

*=New for me

So far, only Red Butt and JD's have germinated. I'm starting to rotate them from the garage to a warm spot inside the computer hutch.

Still looking for a good container tomato. I purchased one of those self standing, upside down tomato grower thingies that only stands about 4 ft tall. Hoping for a smaller plant that won't grow to the ground.

• sue_ct
    13 years ago

1 Red Grape variety to be determined
    Green Grape or Frosted Green Grape
    Yellow Grape or Pear
    Early Girl
    Cherokee Purple
    Brandywine Suddarth
    Kelloggs Breakfast/KBX (LOVE KB, is KBX as reliably good?)
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Great White or White Queen
    3 Heart Varities:
    Kosovo
    ? Anna Russian
    ? Danko

The heart varieites are still being chosen and I don't have the seeds yet so it might have to be altered depending on availablity and how much I am swayed by my post on hearts. :)

My big question is, with 1 plant each will I have enough good red/pink tamatoes for some canning late in the season??
    If not, what I can in pots/grow bags or other containers to get me there?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Here's what I have seeds for so far.

New to me

Black Branywine
    Black Krim
    Black Sea Man(Russian heirloom)
    Cherokee Purple
    Chocolate Cherry
    Green Grape
    Japanese Black Trifele(Russian heirloom)
    Plum Lemon

Repeats

Jelly Bean
    Red Cherry
    Sungold Select

• slo_garden
    13 years ago

This is a very tentative list. I may change a few, and I'd like to trim it a bit, but I don't know if I can.

Absinthe
    Aladdin's Lamp
    Arbuznyi
    Aunt Anna
    Belyi Naliv
    Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
    Black and Brown Boar
    Black Elephant
    Brin de Muget
    Crven
    Eckert Polish
    Gallinaro
    Gary O'Sena
    George's Greek Beefsteak
    Grandma Viney's Yellow & Pink
    Green Doctors
    Haley's Purple Comet
    Kentucky Pink Stamper
    Kentucky Striped
    Lincoln Adams
    Lithuanian Crested Pink
    Maria Amaziletei's Giant Red
    Marizol Magic
    Mary Robinson's German Bicolor
    Millefleur
    Orange Minsk
    Preacher
    Sallisaw Cafe
    Spears Tennesee Green
    Willard Wynn
    Yasha Yugoslavian
    Zolotye Kupola

• larryw
    13 years ago

Here's the 1st shot at it. At least a dozen varieties to cut and will probably add 6 or so.

RED INDETERMINATES

Early Girl 57--RL
    Momotaro 65--RL
    Aker's West Va. 75--RL
    Neve's Azor. 75--RL
    Big Beef Hybrid 75--RL
    Reif's Redheart 75--RL
    Red Barn 78--RL
    Lil's Favorite 78--RL
    Muleteam 78--RL
    AWVS ERROR 79--POT
    Old Virginia 79--RL
    Box Car Willie 80--RL
    Tefft's Old Germ.80--RL
    Coustralee 82--RL
    Eli Red 82--POT
    Mort. Lift. VFN 85--RL
    Franchi Pear 85--RL
    Ruth's Perfect 85--RL
    Wes 85--RL

PINKS, PURPLES, AND BLACKS

Mr. Brown's 78--RL
    Cowlick's Brand. 78--POT
    Pruden's Purple 78--RL
    Eva Purple Ball 78--RL
    Granny Cantrell's80--RL
    German Pink 80--POT
    Indian Stripe 80--RL
    Spudakee 80--POT
    Gary O'Sena 80--POT
    Bear Claw 80--RL
    Cherokee Choc. 80--RL
    Chianti Rose 80--POT
    NK Pond. Pink 80--RL
    Blue Ridge Mtn. 80--RL
    Brandy Boy 80--RL
    Black Plum 80--RL
    Rose (SSE) 85--RL

YELLOW AND ORANGE

Jaun Flamme' 55--RL
    Zloty Ozarowski 70--RL
    Lemon Boy 72--RL
    Golden Queen 75--RL
    Indian Moon 78--RL
    JTT Orange 78--RL
    PB'S Yel. Ox. 80--RL
    Dixie Gldn. Giant80--RL
    Earl of Edge. 80--RL
    Dr. Wyche's 80--RL
    KBX 82--POT

A FEW NEW ONES FOR TRYOUT

Money Maker
    Black Brandywine
    Italian Heirloom
    Coure De Beau

CHERRIES

Gurnsey Island Pink Cherry
    Sungella

I'm sure there will be some changes

• noinwi
    13 years ago

I've added Velvet Red to my list as an experiment. Last season the deer chomped all my pepper plants(in addition to going after all my toms)except the C pubescens, which have fuzzy leaves. I'm hoping the VR leaves will be fuzzy enough that the deer won't like them...we'll see...

• paddymc
    13 years ago

So I'm going a little crazy this year.....

Brandywine (My Selection from Suddiths)
    Purple Russian
    Black Krim
    Black Prince
    Chianti Rose
    Red Brandywine
    Eva�s Purple Ball
    Purple Dog Creek
    Royal Hillbilly
    Brandywine (Glicks)
    Brandywine OTV
    Bear Claw
    Hawaiian Pineapple
    Summer Cider Apricot
    Purple Calabash
    Mikado White
    Sugary Pudovichok
    Tsygan Black
    Amazon Chocolate
    Sabre Ukranian
    Sandul Moldovan
    NARX
    Sub Arctic Plenty
    Brandywine x Stupice
    Caspian Pink
    Church
    Pruden�s Purple
    JD�s Special C-Tex
    Golden Cherokee
    Bianca Grande
    First Light ?
    Lillians Yellow Heirloom
    Opalka
    Yellow Brandywine
    Paul Robeson
    Goldmann�s Italian American
    Ananas Noir
    Great White?
    Jack White
    Novikov�s Giant-10
    Little Lucky
    Goose Creek
    Purple Haze
    Dana�s Dusky Rose?

• zebraman
    13 years ago

Hey dan2647; Tomatofest has Ukrainian Heart. I have been ordering from them for several years and have never had a bad experience with them. Sampleseeds,com has Nicky Crain. I have never ordered from here, but friends that I trade seeds with have and they say that its a good source.
    I am also including a great Seed Finder Search engine, see below for finding what you are looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Finder

• ladon
    13 years ago

Aaaaaahhhhh....(said as a drawn out sigh)...to have the room to grow 30 varieties. Please tell me that you'll send pix of all your amazing fields of tomato plants come spring/summer...LOL... I live in Los Angeles where land is at a premium. I'm pretty proud of the small plot that I've converted into a great organic tomato garden and I can grow 10 plants each season, in ground. But it does make it hard to decide which ones to grow each year. This year, I'm hoping to build a couple of Raybo's earthtainers and see how they work out. Then I can expand my selection opportunities. In the meantime, here's what I've worked it down to after 8 years of trial and error... Looking forward to sharing another growing season with you all again.
    Don

Paul Robeson...my fave!!
    Black Krim...pretty close 2nd.
    Green Zebra...prolific and super tasty.
    Cherokee Purple...most prolific of my purple/black vars.
    Coustralee...meaty delicious red.
    Pineapple...gorgeous and tasty yellow with bursts of red.
    Goose creek... prolific, tasty, long seasoned red.
    Chocolate Stripe...Gorgeous appearance, prolific and tasty.
    Still deciding among:
    Marianna's Peace
    Indian Stripe
    Pale Perfect Purple
    Jaunne Flamme

• ferretbee
    13 years ago

Not finalized yet, but I know I have to cut wayyy back, 40 plants was way too many last year.

Repeats:
    Rose
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Krim
    Mr. Stripey
    Sungold
    Black Cherry
    Yellow Pear
    Bloody Butcher
    Ramapo OP

New:
    Mountain Fresh Plus
    Big Beef
    San Marazano (grew a couple but started too late)
    Mountain Magic (maybe)

Dropping:
    Paul Robeson (cracked more than Black Krim)
    Supersweet100 (did really well but unremarkable fruit)
    Pink Brandywine (Rose was more vigorous and productive)
    Amish Paste (plants and fruits were extremely varied)
    Early Girl
    Rutgers
    Big Boy
    Hillbilly (don't think my seed was good, fruit was solid pale orange and bland, one plant barely produced)
    Stupice (did well but Bloody Butcher was more flavorful)
    Polish Dwarf (hearty plants, fruit similar to Stupice, plants still required support)

• neohippie
    13 years ago

I'm trying to get AT LEAST 40 plants! That's how many I grew last year, and it wasn't enough since I like to make my own salsa, pasta sauce, etc. Tomatoes sure can cook down a lot when you're making sauce! I only managed to make one batch of marinara sauce and didn't have enough left for salsa.

My list:
    Arkansas Traveller
    Bloody Butcher
    Cherokee Purple
    Mini Orange
    Rio Grande

The only one on that list I've already grown is Cherokee Purple, and that was years ago. But I remember it doing well, and it's very popular around here with the farmer's markets and CSAs.

I hope Arkansas Traveller is as heat tolerant as they say. That's my biggest tomato-growing issue here. Last year I didn't have any tomatoes make it through July.

Bloody Butcher is supposed to be early, so I'm going to try to double-crop that one. One in the spring before the heat sets in, and then I'll try for another fall crop of those before it freezes. I've heard that's theoretically possible but have never done it.

• riograndegal
    13 years ago

This is alot of tomato information to take in. This year I am planning on growing alot of herbs and vegetables. More so than any other year. My problem is that have only grown a few varieties in the past and would like to try others but i am not quite sure which ones. I guess as most of you are doing, trial and error. I definately will grow roma as I know that one is a great canning tom and makes the best sauce. What I need are cherry toms for differant uses. For salads I like a very sweet cherry and for sauted dishes I like a more firm and acidic one. I have never tried anything other than what I buy at the store and would love growing the yellows and blacks/brown and that green zebra ya'll mentioned. If anyone is willing to trade some for something on my list I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Josie

• iam3killerbs
    13 years ago

I always plant at least two of the same variety in case one is a dud. This year, since I'm trying to figure out what works best in this climate and soil, I'm not planting more than two of each. I can fit absolutely no more than 40 plants.

Out of the 51 varieties for which I have seed, I've tentatively chosen 20 for my first season (will probably do 10 additional ones for the fall season). The intent is a very wide variety of colors, shapes, and types in hopes of finding some outstanding performers.

Input and advice from people who've raised these in the southeast is welcome -- especially from others in the Sandhills.

Cherry Tomatoes:
    Isis Candy
    Black Cherry
    Rosalita
    Yellow Pear
    Snow White
    Green Zebra Cherry

Main Crop Tomatoes:
    Cherokee Purple
    Rutgers
    Brad's Black Heart
    Henderson's Pink Ponderosa
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    White Tomesol
    Copia
    Jubilee
    Casey's Pure Yellow
    Nature's Riddle

Novelty Tomatoes:
    Striped Stuffer
    Zapotec Pleated
    Kazachka (mini-beefsteak type)
    Mr. Stripey

• bdank
    13 years ago

Here's my list for this year. I'm growing two of each variety (20 plants).

Big Boy
    Brandy Boy
    Rutgers
    Mortgage Lifter
    Sungold
    Amish paste
    Cherokee Purple
    Mr. Stripey
    Black Krim
    Opalka

• tn_veggie_gardner
    13 years ago

Sounds great all! I'm doing some of my usuals this year & also throwing in a few newbies.

Sungold Select II
    Placero
    Chadwick Cherry
    Super Sweet 100
    Black Cherry
    Orange Banana
    Amish Paste
    San Marzano Lungo No 2
    Rutgers

Probably 2-3 others i'm forgetting. I started all of them almost 2 weeks ago. Most have germinated already & some are even starting to show signs of 1st true set of leaves.

- Steve

• suncitylinda
    13 years ago

Hi, this is my first post but have been reading all your posts for a while. I am old, tired and got no Grandpa to help me! Besides that I have over 200 seedlings that I am carrying in and out because I'm a little OCD..... I have seeded toms for years but NEVER this many at once. What was i THINKING!!!!
    I love Carolyns wit and God Bless Raybo for posting pictures of his raveged toms from last year. It gives me great hope. I have been operating under the assumption that only my tomatoes turn brown and die.....

My list includes everything I ever grew and liked and everything I ever hoped to grow. when you get old you never know if you get another season! I will have to give away most as I doubt I have room for more than a few dozen. Again, what was I thinking!!!

Moskovitch
    Husky Gold
    Goose Creek (Pink from Gleckers)
    Several kinds of Mortgage Lifters
    Brandywine Red Landis and Suddath strain
    Jet Star
    Prudens Purple
    Flamme
    Costoluto Genovese
    Burpees Globe
    Santa Clara Canner
    Marglobe
    Sweet Chelsea
    4th of July
    Bush Goliath
    Neves Azorian Red
    Cherry Roma
    Black Cherry
    Sun Gold
    Evas Purple Ball
    Mexico
    Organge Banana
    Couple types San Marzano
    Health Kick
    Siux
    Brandy Boy and Big Beef
    Yellow pear
    GoldMedal
    Earl of Edgecomb
    Gary 'Osena
    Druzba
    Dr Carolyn
    Snow White
    Super sweet 100
    Roughwood Golden Plum
    Bloody Butcher
    Stump of the World
    Opalka
    viva Italia
    Goldmans Italian
    matts Wild cherry
    Reifs Red Heart
    Tomande

and many more that I dont have time to list because its time to start bringing the kids all in for the night.

• laspasturas
    13 years ago

I am still working on my list, but this is what I've tentatively narrowed it down to. I'll definitely have to pare it down a little bit more this week. I'd like to get it down to 30 varieties, but I doubt I'll be able to do it. I'm growing two of each except for a couple that we know we like and that produce really well.

*new to me
    **growing more than two

absinthe*
    amish paste*
    arkansas traveler
    berkeley tie dye*
    black cherry**
    black mauri*
    black plum**
    black russian**
    bradley*
    coyote
    cream sausage*
    chili verde*
    fox cherry
    gardener�s delight*
    green grape
    green sausage*
    green zebra
    isis candy*
    lime green salad
    martino's roma*
    mer de noms*
    mini orange*
    orange banana*
    OSU blue*
    principe borghese
    red fig*
    reisetomate
    riesentraube
    rutgers*
    san marzano II
    silvery fir tree
    striped roman*
    sub arctic plenty*
    sungold select II*
    stupice*
    tess�s landrace currant
    violet jasper*
    wapsipinicon peach
    white currant**
    yellow riesentraube

I've also ordered a couple of things from Tom Wagner's new site that I'm excited to try: churra plum and clackamas blueberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Churra Plum and Clackamas Blueberry

• joachim_ct
    13 years ago

Seems that everybody wants to share what they intend to grow with a very nice selection of varieties. Alamo, to answer your question:
    Brandywine Sudduth, a must grow except for hot climates in the south. Incredible taste and texture.
    Brandywine OTV, IMO the Sudduth variety is superior, both in taste and texture. If you want to grow another Brandywine try the Red Landis Valley strain.
    Paul Robeson, very finicky, both getting plants off the ground and harvesting suffient fruit without blemish. If you want a dark variety try Black Krim or Cherokee Purple, much more reliable.
    Cherokee Purple, see above
    Green Giant, I suggest Aunt Ruby's German Green for best taste or Green Zebra for a fruity taste.
    You should also include Marianna's Peace and Aunt Gertie Gold for best tasting red and yellow varieties.

• divot_kf6jxf
    13 years ago

Wow...some of you have some serious room to grow. I'm limited how many I can grow. This year is a first for me to grow from seed.

I will have:
    Early Girl (2)
    This is my mainstay
    Cherokee Purple (2)
    Can't beat the taste to me
    Giant Syrian (1) New for me.
    First time, and growing it from seed. Was a gift from the in-laws
    Rose (1) New for me.
    Also first time, and growing from seed. Also a gift.
    Brandy Boy (1)
    Recommendation from my local nursery last year. Loved it! Great producer and wonderful taste!
    Black Plumb (1)
    Has been a heavy producer for me.

• tammysf
    13 years ago

i am growing:

anna russian
    berkeley tie dye
    pink berkeley tie dye
    NAR
    porkchop
    beauty king
    sungold
    marvel stripe
    aunt ruby's german green
    san marzano redorta

• another_buffalo
    13 years ago

Putting most of my tomatoes in one basket this year.
    Paul Robson BLEW ME AWAY last year. It was the earliest to ripen and the first tomatoes weighed a pound each. The flavor was perfect and the plants just kept on producing until fall, even though the fruits got smaller. I just stuck those smallest ones in the freezer and am enjoying them now.

The other 10 black varieties I had planted did not impress me, although Black Krim would have been next on the list. I did like mortgage lifter and Aunt Jinnie's purple, but they took too long before production compared to Paul Robson

I will also plant Amish Paste paste this year for a paste tomato. I brought inside an Italian Grape in a planter through the winter. It is blooming now, and I am taking cuttings from it to start in containers. These were the first tomatoes at the farmers market last year, and this year, I'm aiming to get them to harvest even earlier.

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

I'm cutting down this year because I'm moving my tomatoes to a sunnier spot (and hopefully drier) where I was trying to grow blueberries. And I am trying to convince my husband to let me buy some of those nice texas tomato cages so I need to keep it to six plants.

1. Sun Gold (grow every year)
    2. Indian Stripe (new)
    3. Eva Purple Ball (grow every year)
    4. Anna Russian (grew last year)
    5. JD's C-tex (new)
    6. German Pink (new, might be replaced by KBX, cherokee purple, NAR, or something else)

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with more seeds than spots.

• jlgaver
    13 years ago

This year I am growing:
    Snow White Cherry
    Super Sweet 100
    Jubilee
    Pink Caspian
    Cherokee Purple
    Mortgage Lifter
    Red Brandywine
    Black Brandywine
    Cuore de Bu
    Roma

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I like many of the lists a lot. I have not grown tomatoes in many years. I remember having Brandywine Suddith in the garden growing up in NorCal. I can't wait to try them again. The rest I have never grown. My adult sun has never eaten a Brandywine but he loves BLT's. I can't wait to see the look on his face.

Brandywine Suddith
    Cherokee Purple
    Black Prince
    Black Cherry
    Sun Gold
    Juliet
    Husky Cherry Tomato

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

So far I have planted (all seeds):

Vintage Wine
    Mortgage Lifter
    Pink Ruffled
    Emerald Apple
    Fuzzy Peach
    Old Ivory Egg
    Mohamed
    Chocolate Cherry
    Strawberry Margarita
    Roma Paste
    Polish Pastel
    Victorian Dwarf
    Mister Stripey
    Angelina's Italian
    Omar's Lebanese
    Coure di bue
    Raspberry Giant
    Anna Russian
    Sarnowski Polish Plum
    Black from Tula

Nearly all of these are new kinds that I have not grown before. Last year I was happy with Plum Lemon, Fuzzy Peach, Polish Dwarf, and Victorian Dwarf.

• good_eats1973
    13 years ago

Hello fellow tomato lovers! So many choices and so little time! Here is what I'm growing this season as far as toms go...

CHERRY TOMATOES:
    Sweet Baby Girl (2) (red)
    Super Sweet 100's (2) (red)(a repeat this season)

REGULAR SIZED TOMATOES:
    Sweet Tangerine Hybrid (3) (orange)(wife demanded this again)
    Better Boy (red)
    Golden Boy (yellow)
    Celebrity (red)

BEEFSTEAK TOMATOES:
    Big Beef (red)
    Mortgage Lifter Heirloom (red)
    Cherokee Purple Heirloom(deep purple/red)
    Big Rainbow Heirloom (yellow and red)(a repeat-the best tasting IMO so far)
    Brandy Boy (pink)

This is my 3rd season growing as an adult. First time around was a disaster. Last year was great. This season will be even better...

Charles

• ania_ca
    13 years ago

I didn't get seeds started in time this year so ended up having to buy plants. My choices so far have been limited until the garden center gets some more heirlooms in.

yellow pear (don't care what anyone says about these, I love them)

Black Prince

Mr. Stripey

Lemon Boy (bought these out of desperation as I don't really like them)

Some generic cherry toms

Red Beefsteak

Patio tomatoes (these are always good producers on pots for me)

I love green grape so hope to pick up some of those and some sort of orange cherry and maybe cherokee purple when they are available.

• wtclark
    13 years ago

1st choice and a repeat is Cherokee Purple.
    2nd is Brandywine Red, Potato leaf
    3rd is Brandwine Pink, Potato leaf
    4th is Pineapple
    5th is Golden Egg
    6th is Amish Paste
    Egg won taste test competition in 09 &10 Pineapple was also a winner
    Dropped, Morgage Lifters

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Late to the party but better late than never.

Here is what has gone in from Jan - May. Still another 7 month's worth to select and plant. Glad to see I am either not crazy to plant "so many" varieties or at least not alone. Next year I will to plant 150 varieties.

Amazon Chocolate
    Amy's Sugar Gem
    Angora Super Sweet-Tomato Seeds
    Aunt Ginny's Purple
    Australian Red
    Big Orange
    Black Ethiopian
    Black Krim
    Black Pear
    Black Plum
    Black Russian
    Black Sea Man
    Black Zebra
    Black, Brandywine
    Blondkopfchen Yellow, Cherry
    Blue Fruit
    Cherokee Purple
    Cherry, Clustered
    crnkovic yugoslavian
    Golden Keeper
    Green Lantern's Lights
    Japanese Black Trifele
    Mystery Keeper
    Negro Azteca
    Nyagous
    Omar's Lebanese
    Paul Robeson
    Pruden's Purple
    Roma, Cluster
    Seattle's Woolly Blue Mammoth
    Tim's Black Ruffles
    Yellow Giant

And finally, a plug for the amazing breeder Tom Wagner!! (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of Tom Wagner's Seeds

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Oh and I forgot a series of F2 Green Zebra X OSU Blue crosses courtesy of Tom Wagner. Searching for the Blue Zebra!

• abayomi
    12 years ago

last edit:

Farenheit Blues
    Casady's Folly

• cariee
    12 years ago

Also late to this post, but the weather here has been crazy!

6 of each:

Aunt Gertie's Gold
    Black Cherry
    Black Krim
    Brown Berry
    Cherokee Purple
    Green Zebra
    Japanese Trifele Black
    Jumbo Jim Orange
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Kovoso
    Principe Borghese
    Pruden's Purple
    Sungold Select
    W. Virginia Hillbilly
    White Snowball

Some aren't really what I like (like green zebra) but should be popular at the farmer's market as they're unusual.

• Molex 7a NYC
    12 years ago

Ditto on the lateness due to weather

My first year gardening

Brandywine Suddih
    Cherokee Purple
    Husky Cherry Tomato
    La Roma
    Juliet

• myscgarden
    12 years ago

Started from seed -

Arkansas Traveler (heirloom?) 4
    Golden Girl. (heirloom?) 3
    Super Sioux. (heirloom?) 4
    Solar Fire (hybrid?) 2

Purchased started

Black Krim (heirloom) 1
    Husky Cherry Red (hybrid) 1

I want to learn how to preserve the seeds this year!

• Julie717
    12 years ago

Cherokee Purple
    Carbon
    Sioux
    Porter Cherry
    Eva Purple Ball
    Sweet 100 O.P.

This is my first year to grow tomatoes. I wanted to compare the CP and Carbon, so far the Carbon looks more vigorous, but no tomatoes on either one yet. I wish I'd grown Royal Hillbilly instead of the Porter, but it's supposed to be foolproof, so I'll see how it tastes. I gave my Mom a Royal Hillbilly so I'll still get to try it.

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

I don't post here a lot, but I do on the Canadian forums. I lurk here :-)

I don't grow a lot of tomato varieties but I do grow for quality. This year I have one plant, grown form a seed of the original Gordon Graham tomato. He has the world's record largest tomato according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Through good fortune and a friend, I was able to trade for just a few seeds from Gordon Graham's world record tomato. I got one to germinate, so I have one tomato plant that is a direct child of his original!

I do grow other tomatoes but I'm really excited about this one! We had a very bad tomato year last year with lots of BER. This year I planted the tomatoes in my good lasagne "wine" garden, dug in lots of old manure, a little lime and one Tums tablet in each hole. The same friend who gave me the seeds above, told me that a Tums will help supply the calcium the tomatoes need to help prevent BER. So I'm trying it. It's easy and cheap, so I figured "Why not?" We'll see how it goes.

Needless to say, I baby that plant!

In addition to that one, I am also growing our own heritage Portugal beefheart tomatoes (see link to pic below), San Marzano, Manitoba, Ailsa Craig, and Rev Morrow long keeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1398022}}

• msgenie516
    12 years ago

I know I'm rather late in this discussion, but I can tell you what I have growing in my small garden. I only plant 4 tomato plants, so here goes...one of each of the following:

Giant Delicious (Weeks Seed Co.)
    Rose (SSE)
    Hungarian Heart (SSE)
    Brandywine (Pink - The Page Seed Co.)

The only one I've ever grown before is the Brandywine. All the others are new to me. All of the plants look strong and vigorous right now, but the Hungarian Heart seems to like to sprawl all over the place and I have to keep after it.

• nordfyr315
    12 years ago

Also late. This year I am growing:
    Kumato f2 and f3
    Naturesweet D'vine f2
    Brandywine
    Black From Tula
    Roma
    Hungarian Heart
    German Queen
    Stupice
    Speckled Roman
    Nagcarlang
    Gimli f3
    Mexican Queen f1
    Squarehead Pink
    Dirka Red
    Red Target
    Red Grape
    9893 PI 179367
    Pomadoni
    Serbian Red
    Yellow Pear

• lelia
    12 years ago

It's so funny how differently tomatoes perform in different gardens. Brandywine OTV, for example, was a dud in my garden, as were several others touted in the tomato world.

One tomato that's acknowledged to be a good yellow tomato, but never thought of in the same flavor category as Brandywine is Dr. Wyche's Yellow, which was nectar of the Gods in my garden. It was LUSCIOUS, and I've planted extra this year. Can't wait to see what else stands out in my small space. Here's what I have in 2011:

Dr. Wyche's Yellow
    Fred Limbaugh Potato top
    Italian Heirloom
    Kellogg's Breakfast
    Cherokee Purple
    Neve's Azorean Red
    Caspian Pink