SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Need Purple No Spray Rose

Molineux
16 years ago

I've asked this question before but didn't get too many responses so I'm trying again. I'm planting a no spray rose garden for my mother who lives in coastal Virginia (USDA Zone 7b). This garden is primarily China and Tea roses with Noisette climbers, but does include a few of the most disease resistant shrub roses. I need a lavender/mauve/purple rose for one of the beds. It should grow aproximately 4 feet tall with a growth habit that will harmonize nicely with Chinas and Teas. I was considering ENCHANTRESS (Tea) and INDIGO (Portland), but discarded the notion because the first isn't reliably purple in hot/humid climates and the second because the disease resistance, although good, isn't good enough for no spray.

Lisa at Countryside recommends VIOLETTA (aka INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE; Floribunda, 1984) for clean foliage. Is this true? It is supposed to be fragrant and the simple flower form wouldn't look too out of place (esp. next to the Chinas). Should I choose it or perhaps another rose? Please help me, because I'm very close to completely abandoning the idea of a mauve rose in this garden.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments (27)