SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Tea, China, Noisette, et al. Experiences and Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I'm a novice OGR grower, but I'm preparing a new rose bed (about 25'x5') that I am hoping to fill exclusively with lovely antiques. I'm in coastal, sunny, and mildly, but never oppressively humid Santa Monica, CA. Everyone I have had the pleasure to speak with about my climate -particularly Jeri- has led me towards Teas, Chinas, and Noisettes as the premier OGRs for this climate. My research has mostly stayed within the confines of these classes, but I have a few questions about Hybrid Musks, an HP, and a Portland rose as well.

I'd love to hear what folks in similar climates have to say about the following roses they have experience with. I'm worried the mature sizes listed in compendiums for most of these roses are not quite true to this climate. In particular I am considering:

2 Compact Reds amongst Francis Dubreil, Agrippina, Cramoisi Superior, Fabvier, Eugene de Beauharnais, and Slater's Red. I've read that Agrippina is the "dwarf" Cramoisi, so that seems ideal. I really love Francis Dubreil, so I would be thankful for anyone who can let me know a realistic mature size to expect.

2 Compact White/Creams amongst Devoniensis (shrub), Ducher (I've read it can get to 6x6, but mostly see smaller dimensions mentioned), Niphetos (same story as Ducher), and any recommendations you have. I already have Souvenir d'Elise Vardon planned elsewhere if anyone thinks that would work here.

2 Small to Medium (Upright is fine, spread should be no more than 4.5' ideally) Reds amongst White Pearl in Dragon's Mouth, Louis Phillipe, Arthur de Sansal (anyone try this in a coastal climate?), and Baron Girod de l'Ain (anyone think this has a chance/tried it in a costal climate?). Can you think of any other moderate sized Red Chinas or HPs that could make it here?

2 Yellow/Buttery Cream 10' Pillar Roses amongst Celine Forestier, Buff Beauty (Do Hyb. Musks do well here? I've seen Ballerina doing very well not far from here.), Allister Stella Grey, and even Marie Van Houtte. I've read MVH listed anywhere from 4-9' in height, so comments from anyone growing it around here are appreciated.

2 Medium to slightly Spreading Pink Blends amongst Mme. Berkeley, Rose Delizy, Monsieur Tillier, Maman Cochet/White Maman Cochet, Mlle. Franziska Kruger, Catherine Mermet, Archiduc Joseph, Archduke Charles, Sophie's Perpetual, Triumph de Luxemborg, Jean Bach Sisley, and the reputed giant Mrs. Dudley Cross. There are so many that fit the bill, but I don't want something that will get too out of hand. I will not be neglecting these roses, so I can't imagine them becoming a sprawling, unpruned mass. Nevertheless, something that gets to a 5x5 square or equivalent circle would be just about ideal.

I would also appreciate it if you have any experience pillaring (I'm looking to pillar to about 10') any of these roses:
Cornelia, Gloire des Rosomanes, Mlle. Sombreuil, Coquette de Blanches, and Baronne Prevost (Jeri mentioned it might be possible to train as a climber here.)

One last question -I'm sorry to be bombarding you all right now- about mature size:
How large could I expect Adam (Mme. Berard) to grow here? I'm hoping to make a covered archway about 10' by 5' with Gloire de Dijon and Adam growing on the two sides.

I truly appreciate any information you can offer this enthusiastic, but inexperienced rose grower. There are so many incredible roses that should thrive here, but they are so variable in their true growing patterns that Ive grown somewhat incredulous at the rose guides and other books I've picked up or checked out over the past months during planning. Nothing beats first hand experience from neighbors (if only in climate).

Cheers,
Jay

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor