SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harborrose_pnw

How we treat each other

harborrose_pnw
12 years ago

It is with great sadness and aggravation that I've read Sammy's Story and the postings. It's reminded me of all the other pointless arguing and fighting that have decimated these forums over the last few years.

When I first discovered the ARF in 2006 I was just starting to learn about tea roses and learned so much here that it has over the last five years been a place I go to in order to talk about roses. I love roses, as do most of you.

I am starting this thread because while I am not at the point of wanting to completely leave, I am really grieved over how such a simple, sweet story posted by Ingrid got turned into such a mess. Just like over the years simple issues became horrible.

The core issue seems to come from a disagreement over something and then arrogance or perceived arrogance is shown by others. Then the resulting demonization of various posters. Then hurt feelings and the inevitable result, grudges, people leaving, a bad taste in your mouth for quite awhile.

Ingrid shared something important to her with people she likes. She is intelligent, thoughtful and perceptive and adds a great deal to these forums.

Kim is feisty, intelligent, and strongly opinionated. He knows more about roses than I ever will. He adds a great deal to these forums. Lyn is charming and works hard at help me find and adds her own personality and contributions. She is Kim's friend, I gather for many years. I don't know either of them except through the internet, so I don't really know, but that is my perception.

These are all three valuable and intelligent members of these forums.

I am on occasion arrogant with my friends and probably am so here. I am on occasion quite stupid. I am also a talented gardener and love roses. See, I told you I was arrogant.

If I am thoughtlessly arrogant or overbearing with a friend, face to face, they forgive me or they ignore me or they tell me. I apologize and we continue our relationship.

Because of the nature of this internet forum, it is too easy to demonize someone because you can't see their faces, you can't hear their tone of voice.

I really wish Ingrid would forgive those who have been thoughtlessly arrogant or overbearing. I don't think they intended to be so.

I really wish Kim and Lyn would apologize for the misunderstanding and hurt feelings they have caused.

I really like and value all three of them.

If we aren't kind to each other, then none of the knowledge we have or think we have is worth a pot of beans. If we don't speak truthfully to each other, then none of our kindness is worth too much either. The combination of kindness and knowledge and truth is incredibly valuable. If we're arrogant, none of any of that is worth anything to anyone.

And face it, we are all arrogant, stupid and thoughtless sometimes.

Gean,

Comments (35)