SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tripletmom83

This forum needs action. We need to motivate each other.

tripletmom83
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I can't believe this forum doesn't get more action. I, for one, am obsessed with organization lately. And judging by all the containers and baskets and such in the stores, so is the rest of the world. Although my home is usually nice and clean, I have to admit it does not come naturally to me. I have to be constantly vigilant, and re-motivate myself often.

We recently had our kitchen remodeled and after packing up everything, and living all torn up for months, we are finally back to normal. I am determined not to clutter up my new kitchen so everything has to "earn" it's way back in. Or at least that's what I told myself. It is easier said than done. Can I really throw away my nutcracker, even though I don't ever remember using it? What if someone brings over some uncracked nuts? Actually I think I have two of them. And two of those little picks that go with them.

I did in fact unload quite a bit of stuff, but it was not easy. I love having a place for everything without a bunch of stacks in every cupboard. And my counters are nice and clear now.

So here's the thing, my goal now is to get the whole house in shape. To have a home for every single thing. You see I finally figured out that all those little piles of stuff that accumulate on flat surfaces are there because we really don't know where to put them. Or, if they do have a home it is in such an inconvenient spot that we don't bother.

So I am slowly but surely going through every drawer, shelf, cupboard, closet, corner, cabinet, box, and basket in this house. I am trying to be brutal about getting rid of things but finding it very difficult. I need to keep giving myself pep talks.My new mantra is "No sentimental attachment to inanimate objects" But, like I said, it's easier said than done. I would love to hear how everyone else motivates themselves.

Comments (20)