SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

A Rose That Is Pleasing Me Greatly

Every once in a while, I am pleasantly surprised by a rose that I have acquired and not paid much attention to. This year's greatest surprise has been my plant of "The Reeve". The Reeve is one of Mr. Austin's very early English Roses, introduced in 1979. His breeding is Lilian Austin X Chaucer.

I should say here, that up until three or four years ago, I was often guilty of shovel pruning roses that did not establish quickly and perform extremely well in their first two years. Thankfully, I have now learned that patience, as they say, is a virtue; particularly in growing roses.

I ordered my plant of The Reeve on an impulse, I think, four years ago, from Pickering Nurseries. Three reasons:
1) I noted that Pickering had kept this rose on their sales list for almost twenty years, which was rare for an Austin rose.
2) In his 1997 book, "100 English Roses for the American Garden, Claire Martin states; "A picture of The Reeve in a Los Angeles garden column was instrumental in raising public awareness of English Roses."
3) I liked the description of the plant's growth and performance as well as the photos of the blooms.

The Reeve did not do much in its first two years in my garden and I moved it to a new location two years ago. It did a little better last year, but this year it has taken off.

{{gwi:300800}}

A shot of the whole plant taken this morning

{{gwi:300801}}

Close up of a bloom, though the colour is a bit off, it is a much more vibrant pink, some blooms have some paler veining, or stippling and they last for 4 or 5 days. They have a moderate though very noticeable sweet scent, very pleasant and always there to my nose,

{{gwi:300802}}

A shot of the plant taken at the end of June.

My wife, who is not a great rose lover, has fallen in love with The Reeve this year. She likes the cupped shaped blooms and lovely scent.

I find The Reeve to be very Bourbon like, in flower, foliage and in habit. He reminds me very much of both Coupe d'Hébé and Reine Victoria. I grew quite a few Bourbons many years ago when I lived in a warmer climate, but they were often prone to disease and the rebloom was usually less than prolific. Most Bourbons are also too tender to survive and thrive in my current climate.

The Reeve is proving to be exceptional for health, vigour and continuous bloom, now that the plant is mature. This summer has been wet and humid and very hot in late July. Many of my roses are suffering from blackspot, and a few others with minor mildew and rust, even with bi-weekly spraying. Many others are no longer flowering due to the hot conditions of the past few weeks. The Reeve has not been sprayed and is absolutely spotless. though quite close to some others with disease problems. The following note appears on The Reeve's description on HMF:

"In September 1998, the Montreal Botanical Garden (Le Jardin Botanique de Montreal) carried out a survey of its roses' resistance to black spot, powdery mildew and rust. This is one of the outstanding varieties which showed a 0% to 5% infection rate. The data was taken on well-established roses."

My experience this summer fully supports that statement. I plan to propagate some more plants of this variety this summer. He is becoming very hard to acquire as the Austin company is apparently still trying hard to remove their older varieties from commerce. Pickering and Hortico both stopped offering him last year. So if you like Bourbons, but want health and rebloom, you may wish to consider The Reeve, if you can still find him.

I wish you all a rosey summer.

Cheers, Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: The Reeve @ Help Me Find Roses

Comments (37)