SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhouselover_gw

How to care for very old roses? & many other q's! Picture heavy!

oldhouselover
13 years ago

Hello!

I posted previously (on another topic) in this forum, and received such a helpful response, that I am here again!

We just moved into a turn of the century home (that had been unoccupied for a few years). One of the things that we loved most about the house was the history of its gardens, especially the roses! We have a beautiful rose bush in the front of our house, that was originally planted in the late 1920's... so that makes it approximately 80 years old! It is very special to me, as the previous owner's family lived here for nearly 90 years, and their parents and grandparents took great pride in their home and were wonderful gardeners that left us many treasures that still bloom today.

This is our first home, and I am an inexperienced gardener although I am very eager to learn! Needless to say, it is extremely important to me to make sure that this natural history continues to thrive and flourish!

Now that you know the history of the roses, I have quite a few questions and would very much appreciate any help and advice!

Around mid May, the rose had beautiful blooms, that lasted for a few weeks. In early June the petals began to fall, and I didn't know whether it just had an early bloom (last year when we came to see the house, I could have sworn the roses were in bloom much longer!) or if there was something affecting the flowers.

My main concern is making sure these roses remain healthy... currently, the bush is very large and has quite a few different plants (including some very strong, what I am assuming are weeds?) growing within it. Right now, it even has another type of flower (not sure of the kind) blooming around it. I have no idea how to tackle all of these plants that have grown around it, and am not sure what needs to be done, it is almost like there is a jungle in there! :)

The rose bush itself currently has the dried up buds remaining on some, and has grown rapidly, along with the other plants that have grown in between the rose bush. The leaves for the most part look healthy and green, however there is one spot where they do have a little bit of a brownish spotting and a yellow tint, and also a few parts where the leaves have dried up.

With all of this said, can anyone please help me in answering:

1) How should I care for/prune this rose bush? It is very "wild" and definitely has a mind of its own! I don't mind the wild effect, I just want to make sure it becomes as healthy as it can possibly be and produces the beautiful flowers we love!

2) Is it healthy/natural the way it is in its current state? Or is there something causing the flowers to fall and turn? If so, what can be done? Again, it is imperative to me that these roses survive and live for at least another 80 years! :)

3) How do I take care of the (presumably weed) plants that have established themselves around this bush? Some are extremely strong and stubborn it seems.

4) What do I do with the flowers that are now blooming underneath/in between the rose bush (does anyone have any idea what they are? I kind of like them, but have no idea where they came from!)

5)...and just because I would love to know, does anyone know what kind of rose this is? Perhaps with that information I can research how to care for them properly!

The photos are attached. I know this is very long and image heavy, thank you so much in advance for your knowledge and expertise, it is truly appreciated!

The rose bush blooming in mid-May and a close up of the roses:

{{gwi:296604}}

{{gwi:296605}}

The rose bush in its current state:

{{gwi:296606}}

Close up photos:

{{gwi:296607}}

{{gwi:296608}}

{{gwi:296609}}

{{gwi:296610}}

The other "plants" growing within it:

(view from the top of the porch)

{{gwi:296611}}

(bottom side)

{{gwi:296612}}

(within the rose bush)

{{gwi:296613}}

{{gwi:296614}}

(the other flower)

{{gwi:296615}}

(another photo of the flower before it bloomed, and a spot of the dry leaves/stem of the rose bush)

{{gwi:296616}}

Comments (22)